xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
enchanted

Teeth

does anyone know of any really good products to whiten your teeth....I've used the crest white strips and did the whole baking soda deal....is there anything else on the market aside from getting a professional whitening session?

I don't know if you only use baking soda in cleaning your teeth, but there's also a way to do that not only with baking soda. You have to mix baking soda with a squeeze of lemon (we only have a local version here in my country---it's called calamansi or lemoncello) and bubbles will form that you could use to brush your teeth. The taste might be too much, though. I've also seen before that you could mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide (which is a chemical also found in whitening products) to whiten your teeth. I've tried it before but I really disliked the taste in my mouth.

For more info, you could check this topic I made. It's not all about teeth though. Here

I think you should visit a dentist. In many whitening products there are stuff that can damage your teeth. I do not think doing this yourself would be a good idea, even though many people do it.

Just make sure you brush every 12 hours or so throughly and your teeth will begin to whiten. It may take much longer if its been stained in the past from neglect like smoking and not brushing as often. But once you get in the regular habit it should start to whiten. As mention above I wouldn't rely on whitening products as it can be more damaging then good on your teeth. If you smoke quit it as it not only bad for your teeth and gums but also your health and its probably the main cause of gum and teeth problems.

I have a friend and he smokes but he's got a set of amazingly white teeth. I asked him before he goes to the dentist and he said no. He even thanked me for reminding him so he would go to the dentist and have his teeth cleaned. He mentioned that he just brushes his teeth three times a day every after meal. I didn't believe him initially since I do brush my teeth three times a day as well (but I don't have the same "white teeth") as him so I asked him the brand of toothpaste he uses, thinking that it was his secret of getting white teeth. To my surprise, he said that he uses a local brand, the same thing I normally use.

Try to avoid consuming things like coffee and tea which have caffeine. These can stain your teeth. If you drink them, brush your teeth right away after consumption. And don't smoke too because it can badly stain the teeth and no amount of brushing will help.If you already have stains on your teeth, visit the dentist and have the stains removed. Then take good care of your teeth and brush them regularly and you be able to keep your pearlies white until the next dental appointment.

thanks for the info guys, interesting stuff that I will definately take into consideration, like I said my teeth are not terribly stained or anything but I'd like to keep them as white as possible.....I have done the baking soda thing before but not the proxide so thats interesting as well!

This is an issue i wanted to know a while back.. the thing is i went to a dentist recently and asked how much the whitening session would cost, apparently he said it cost heaps but isn't worth it because not just doing it at home with damage your teeth but also at the dentist would too..its just that the chemical used in whitening teeth weakens your teeth.. not by alot if you do it at home but it does weaken your teeth according to what the dentist told me.so i asked hiim what should i do.. the funny thing is he said "white teeth is only a theory" white teeth doesnt exist, he said.. and that its just a myth.. apparently humans all have yellow teeth .. the only reason it looks white because some humans have the lightest shade of yellow.. so it seems as if their teeth is white.. this is no lie because its from a dentist.. and he graduated for a reason.. so he recommended that i use a toothpaste called colgate whitening.. something like that i dont quite remember.. but apparently when you use that it has pearls in the paste that will help whiten the teeth :lol: anyways hope that helps and hope you found it interesting .. well for those who havent asked the dentist any questions :P