xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dodger

Three Minute Silence To Be Held Next Wednesday

Just heard on Radio 5 that there will be a three minute silence next Wednesday (don't know what time) to remember the victims of the eathquake. I have no problem with this - but these silences seem to get longer every time!

I guess the length of the silence depends on the sheer enormity of the tragedy...for 9/11 we had quite an amount of time, and that was for several thousand...However, in America, we never had any sort of silence for the earthquake in Iran, and that left over 30,000 dead...Here, we have three minutes for a toll closing in on 150,000 people...I don't think any amount of time will be able to do such a horrendous event justice, but it's a small token, nonetheless...

I agree with Caveman, no amount of silence can reflect the enormity of the tsunami earthquake disaster but any solidarity with the families of the victims will help them get through their anguish. It's also true that we tend to select the tragedies that we mourn, there are people dying everyday across the world which no body cares about. But what make this one different is the number of Westerners who also died. It make it more personal when your fellow countrymen are amongst the dead.

Is this in Australia? Because I think we have already had a three minute silence, not sure. Anyway I think its a great idea seeing though the tragedy was huge. 12 Australians dead, 107 missing. This could rise, and thats what I'm afraid of... I dont want this to be the biggest tragedy the world has ever faced, that was naturally conducted.

this 3minutes will be in progress next for people who had died at south asia by having a silence for 3minutes. but have u ever wounder if the ppl being silence even think about what happen there. most of us think, this silence thing is stupid like it's gonna help. durning that 3minute we could have made a donation to them instead of the stupid silence thing. dont u agree

how many people do you think will actually give this three minute silence. time is money, and most people dont care about people in other countries. sad to say how uncaring i am, but i'll be spending my time doing something more productive, like sleeping in class

..from the mouth of the typical american teenager

I haven't heard on the news that these three minutes of silence will be taken, but I could be wrong. Yes this is a good thing to remember the 150,000 that have died in one of the worst natural disasters that this world has ever experienced. Remembering them will help, but what they need more of is aid whether it be food, shelter, water, treatment, whatever. So donating along with remembering will help them out a lot. Sadly, the number of dead is still rising and paying our respect is something we can do to help them out in this troubled time.

well seeing so many pop up on my computer talking about this event, which is now stuck in my head.. i gave a little thought.. this natural disaster happen several times.. well enough time to know that it will happen again. we all knew it going to happen again..... then .. y weren't the prepare for it. lot more ppls live could have been saved if they were prepare.. don't u agree?