xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevethedog

Why I Love My Mac

Im prepared for lot of hate in here but i don't care, i must share with the world my love affair with my MacBook.iPhoto - Love this application, makes it sooooo easy to view, edit, tag and organise my photo's and it has a simply awesome plugin for facebook so you can tag everyone in pictures in iPhoto it will then upload them all to facebook for you including any people tagged and any comments you put on the photosiTunes - i know it available for PC and there are alot of haters for it, but i love it, automatic album art, easy to navigate and view/search my music as well as the obvious iPod integration.AddressBook - this one at first may sound strange but...my MacBook has built in bluetooth, i can wirelessly hookup my mobile phone and sync all my contacts to and from my pc to my mobile phone, makes it much easier to manager and organise my contacts when i can do it on my Mac then sync to my mobile.iCal - Similar reasons to AddressBook above, i can sync my Calender to both my iPod and Mobile phone with virtually no effort, any changes i make either on my mobile, ipod or MacBook all get sync'd back and changed on all devices.Most of all is the integration between applications, i can virtually drop and drag everything i see, so if i like a photo just drop and drag it, even between applications etc.CURRENTLY there is no/very few spyware/virus' out for MacOSX so i don't have to worry about scanning my pc weekly just to keep it clean.No loss of speed, if you run xp for a few months or more its significantly slower than when you first installed it, not the case so far with MacOSX.Finally, it just looks damn sexy, yes im sucker for look and my MacBook delivers both on both hardware and software.Please note this is not one of those 'im so smug im using a mac which are trendy' posts, but merely pointing out the reasons why as a long time Windows and Linux user im glad ive made the switch to Mac and why i can't see myself going back any time soon.

Yeah macs are awesome! I will never switch back to windows unless I'm away from my mac. OS X is pretty damn good OS and I just learned recently its built on top of unix. So basically unix is father of linux? does this mean we can run linux programs in mac os x? I'm a little confused since I don't that much about how linux operates. If thats true then we can pretty much learn linux using mac but it probably is abit different in some cases. I know in the shell we have acess to commads that are usually on linux based OS.I agree with ya on the part about the OS staying running smoothly. I've had mine for 1 year and a half and its still running strongly. If this was windows it would of slowed down for some reason even though I did my best to remove programs I installed as best I can. Windows just slows down after half a year it must be some law (winblows law). <_<. Are we ever going to be getting sub forums in the OS so us Mac users can talk about how great it is and other topics without fear of getting hated on by unknown OS X windows lovers.

Yeah macs are awesome! I will never switch back to windows unless I'm away from my mac. OS X is pretty damn good OS and I just learned recently its built on top of unix. So basically unix is father of linux? does this mean we can run linux programs in mac os x? I'm a little confused since I don't that much about how linux operates. If thats true then we can pretty much learn linux using mac but it probably is abit different in some cases. I know in the shell we have acess to commads that are usually on linux based OS.

Both mac and linux are what is called "unix based". Basically if you were to go to the back end of the machine, it would be talking in unix. The closest you would come to this "talk" would be by going to the terminal, where you would enter the same unix commands into both of them. You couldn't run the same programs on both, but it is very easy to port it over from mac to linux or linux to mac... Usually just needs to be recompiled.

Yeah.. Macs are awesome.... But... too expensive. I feel like if you dont get the Pro version or a desktop version its not really worth it. The macbook looks very fragile or delicate. It reminds me of a fisher price toy :S , well anyways, I wont really get into any discussion with the Mac OS, it is by far superior to the Windows OS. Probably not for you if you are a gamer, though there are a lot of games in OSX now. The specs an apple computer can have will probably never be as good as the ones a pc can have, but the os will never be defeated no matter what you do to it, or how much you optimize it.

iTunes - i know it available for PC and there are alot of haters for it...

I don't hate iTunes, i just hate the DRM that comes with the music.

[1]So basically unix is father of linux? [2]does this mean we can run linux programs in mac os x?

[1]I'd go with "mother" for birth-giving reasons. <_<
[2]Yes; however, you may find yourself compiling a lot of programs (a.k.a. dependencies) for one program; assuming the program is made for multi-platform (which a lot of them are). But Mac programs ported to Linux is a different story, as these programs are usually made to run under one architecture.

I have been using my iMac for slightly over 2 months now and just like you, I am loving every moment of it. I was previously a Windows user for almost a decade, starting all the way from Windows 95 to 98 and eventually to XP (Skipped 2000). I don't recall even having to scan my Mac for any virus whatsoever or spyware. The most I do is to simply clean up my HDD from time to time to ensure that space are not hopelessly used up by configuration files from uninstalled applications. A computer with higher specs running Vista turns out to be even slower than a lower spec computer running OSX Leopard. I am running Windows XP on boot camp, don't be surprised it is not Vista. And the only reason I log on to Boot Camp is when I need to play some games or watch some webcast which is not supported on a Mac for some reason, issues with using the Windows Media DRM. Otherwise, the Mac works for me. I do my web design and programming all on a Mac.Just a tip for any Mac user, if you are using Boot Camp, don't use Parallels and vice versa. Because both programs needs to activate your Windows CD key, you can't use it for both. Unfortunately, that is a huge flaw in the Parallels software.