xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheChosenDarkness

Php Calculator That Calculates Genetic Percentages? I need help finding sites or tutorials.

Okay, I have created, looked, and generally studied simple PHP calculators. However, I can not seem to find any tutorials on how to create a genetic calculator. One that calculates genetic percentages similar to that of Punnette Squares. I have seen plenty of websites that have these types of calculators, but I have yet to see any websites offer tutorials on how to create these types of calculators. So.. does anyone know of any tutorials I can find or sites that might have the tutorial I am looking for? Maybe even a tutorial here?Reason for asking: I am creating a website, simulation game, and one of the aspects of the game is calculating the colors of the offspring from a certain pair.Any help on the subject is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance,TCD

Well its been a long time since I've seen or used punnette squares, and I'm sure they are much more complicated than the simple 4 block ones that I learned, but I'll do a basic one for you.

So if I recall correctly you have dominant and recessive traits, such as dark hair or blond hair. And lets say dark is dominant. So we'll have this:

DD+bb=
100% to be Db

Db+Db=
25% to be DD
50% to be Db
25% to be bb

Db+bb=
50% to be Db
50% to be bb

Correct? (If I'm wrong tell me because it's been a while)

Anyway I would suggest an object oriented approach if you are going to be having different plants (or animals) with different traits. So first make the class life.

class life{function __construct($dom,$res){//constructors are new in php 5 so don't do this step if you are working with an older version$this->dom=$dom;$this->res=$res;}//Returns a life object when mating this object and the input objectfunction mate($life){switch(rand(0,3)){case 0:return new life($this->dom,$life->dom);case 1:return new life($this->res,$life->dom);case 2:return new life($this->dom,$life->res);case 3:return new life($this->res,$life->res);}}}

And that should do it. This code was not tested yet. Post back with any errors you find.
Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)

Yes. Exactly on the example about Punnette Squares. =] Also, I tested the code below and it works just fine. Now I just need to add a form to it so people can choose the color or genetics to generate the outcome. Correct?

My hosting company just recently upgraded to PHP 5. So.. I am still working on understanding certain aspects of PHP 5. Since I have been mainly studying PHP 4 and testing PHP 4.

Thank you again and the code was very helpful. ^^

TCD

Well its been a long time since I've seen or used punnette squares, and I'm sure they are much more complicated than the simple 4 block ones that I learned, but I'll do a basic one for you.
So if I recall correctly you have dominant and recessive traits, such as dark hair or blond hair. And lets say dark is dominant. So we'll have this:

DD+bb=
100% to be Db

Db+Db=
25% to be DD
50% to be Db
25% to be bb

Db+bb=
50% to be Db
50% to be bb

Correct? (If I'm wrong tell me because it's been a while)

Anyway I would suggest an object oriented approach if you are going to be having different plants (or animals) with different traits. So first make the class life.

class life{function __construct($dom,$res){//constructors are new in php 5 so don't do this step if you are working with an older version$this->dom=$dom;$this->res=$res;}//Returns a life object when mating this object and the input objectfunction mate($life){switch(rand(0,3)){case 0:return new life($this->dom,$life->dom);case 1:return new life($this->res,$life->dom);case 2:return new life($this->dom,$life->res);case 3:return new life($this->res,$life->res);}}}

And that should do it. This code was not tested yet. Post back with any errors you find.