xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tartredarrow

Brand New Motherboard Form Factor Coming Out? a new form factor standard could be upon us

So it looks like the ATX form factor is going to to be replaced. The new form factor is called the BTX. BTX stands for Balanced Technology Extended. Newegg doesn't even carry them yet. The board is completly square, which simplifies intallation to the case. The BTX has all slotted connections (PCI, RAM, PCIe, etc.) aligned parallel to each other increasing airflow. Because eveything is inline, the BTX form factor has the ability for multiple PC componants to share a single fan (cross flow fans). All I know is I want it.On a side note, the 45nm Manufactoring Tech is increadible.

BTX form factors are really old, they came out many, many years ago, they were abandoned because nobody liked them, back then some dell computers used the BTX form factor but it was hard making cases that would fit the form factor.I think what you mean is BTX is making a return? Now they need to make more cases, graphics cards, sound cards, PCI-E cards, etc etc more compatible with the BTX form factor. As with the sideflow fans thing, you can do that on ATX form factor cases (with albeit of modding).I personally would just stay with the full ATX form factor, reliable, cheap (well atleast the cases are cheap), and easy to get help with (I doubt anyone here on Xisto have BTX motherboards)...I just don't see why we need to upgrade from the ATX form factor...