xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damen

Under Rated Shooters The ones not noticed

While before Christmas many where syaing about the calibre of PS3 shooters coming soon,The subject has somewhat gone off the boil,Partly due to delays to titles like UT3, & the terrible Blacksite Area 51.But, Fear not, Because if your after an extra shooter to add to your collection, here are a few Underater shooters, that are far better than there average reviews suggest...So Here's a quick look at a few...The Club, Orange Box, Medal of Honour Airborne, Conflict denied ops & Lost planet..The ClubBizarre creations, the makers of the Project Gotham City.. Millions play & love Project Gotham because it seemlessly moulds together your standard Race, with the "Kudos" system, which rewards its players with points for skill,The system has been around since Midnight Street Racing on the Dreamcast (Kinda like Project Gotham 0.5)And it's the kudos system that makes Project Gotham the title it is..However With The Club, Many reviewers have approached the game as a simple "Run & Gun Shooter..."and the scores have been dissapointing,However If you approach the club like you would Project Gotham You find it's much more of a game...Sure there's no Story line, and a typical Kill isnt that tough,But it's the skill element which makes The Club the game that it is...Every Kill gives points, based on distance, hit location and prior moves.So smash through a door, pop some guy in the face, side-roll behind a crate and pop-up to take out another guy, then spin 180, to fall the guy shooting down on you from behind..This simple scenario might take a grenade in some games, and you'd pass it without a second thought,But the club challenges you, to go for the head-shots, to roll in & out of cover between shots, and to spin hitting skull markers to further increase your multiplier.You can play the club running from A to B and killing the goons, and it's a pretyt poor game,But if you want a challenge, try to beat the leaderboards scores in there millions, and you will realise that the club is a much more entertaining, challenging & rearding shooter than first impressions.The Orange BoxAnother shooter that hasn't received great reviews, and theres no wonder why, Steam decided to develop Orange box for th eXbox 360 & Pc, but allowed EA to designate there own small french in house developers for the Ps3 version, and.. it shows..On the PC & 360 Orange box has been stated as the best game this side of the millenium,And althoguh the PS3 verison isnt as good, it's still a damn good shooter.Sure, Half-Life 2 is an old game now,, it's been around on the Pc for donkeys-years,But combine that, the two expansion chapters, aswell as Portal & team fortress and the quality sounds amazingSure the Ps3 version has a few framerate issue sin places, and team fortress 2 can be laggy quite easily, and Portal, while a brilliant innovative puzzler it isnt worth the money alone.But, Half life 2 is still 5 games in one,, it's still getting reviews for 80-85% and just because th e360 / pc version got reviews close to 95% it doesnt mean the Ps3 version is a bad one.Medal Of honour: AirborneWhen medal of honour was released, it made me laugh,, actually it almost made me cry, MOH:Airbore was the only game to be released on th e16th November,,,Great, But on the 9th came Call of Duty 4,, And that pretty much put an end to any number of people buying MOH:Airborne,then people looked at it, 6 levels, high recoil and not as good as COD4, ment MOH:A wasnt ever going to be a top game.However It's still well worth owning,COD4 is modern warfare, so it leave splenty of scope for this world-war based shooter,ike many wanted with COD, there are vehicles, you do parachute from a plane, And the levels are even less linear than COd4 meaning you can do anything anytime (as long as they all get done)There are only 6 main misisons, but judging that each will take an hour, and you probably wont do them all first attempt, your looking at a longer single player campaign than Cod4, And while call of Duty currently has the monopoly in online shooting, Medal of Honour is still a purely enjoyable FPS, that is well worth picking up.Conflict: Denied OpsAfter playing the demo, I admitted that Conflict Denied ops was "utter b0ll0cks"graphics are barely last gen, let alone next gen, 2 characters with 2 weapons each seemed somewhat boring, and the promise of online modes didnt seem all that promising.However now I own the game I can see it's an entirley differant shooter,Weapon upgrades evolve your weapons in a Splinter cell way, adding gun cameras, shotgun & grenade launcher attachments, and giving you a RPG to play with.the game isnt particuarly tough, and many of the objectives can be overlooked aslong as you get from A to B.theres not much in the way of a story,, you go there, shoot, you go here shoot, stop this, save him, and hooraaah the world is a safer place.The story mode isnt groundbreaking but it's still a decent enough game.But it's multiplayer where it counts, play through the whole story in co-operative, online split-screen , as well as multiplayer deathmatch's etc, it adds an awful lot to this shooter.overall, while not as good as you'd hope after the previous games in the series,But not as bad as you amy have thought especially after the poor "Empty" demo which features the 1st part of the 1st misison (before you touch any upgrades / vehiclesAnd Finally............ Lost PlanetBut Lost Palnet has been receiving mixed reviews,The 360 fanboys are giving it a score around 6/10, saying "it's just a 360 port a year too late"But other scores are coming in at a steady 80% stating that while it is a 360 port, it's done well, it still has the great 16 player online multiplayer, and a pretty damn good selection of weapons/ mech's and a strong single player story.the best of all is, it will cost ?25... and while I'm getting it after near-completing it on the 360, many people who owned it originally will be put off, especially considering the only addition is a few new characters in multiplayer.But for Anyone who never had Lost Planet on the 360, Then for ?25 this is a must buy,It wont knock Call of Duty 4 or Rainbow Six Vegas's fan-base,But it will give you a good 5-10 hour sof enjoyment both on & offline

Edited by Damen (see edit history)

My little brother was playing lost planet demo yesterday on PS3. I was surprised you mentioned it was originally on XBOX360 as now I remember seeing it one time. I guess I only take notice of what I like heh. The graphics on the PS3 I would say looked OK. We have a 50inch plasma and HD cable from the PS3 connection to it at home but when I saw it on XBOX 360 it looked much smoother maybe because when I saw it at the store it was on a much smaller screen who knows what it could of been.The game play is pretty good, a lot of features I haven't really played with on other games like controlling those mini Mechs, grenades that pop decoys, shooting out hooks and pulling yourself up high places, a large variety of guns made things interesting. All that combination worked well and I was only watching him play for the most part. I had a go myself but I'm not used to shooter style games on controllers. Keyboard and mouse for me and I will start owning :E.

It is a very fun game, one reason it might have looked a little sluggish is that the demo download from the PSN store is a really old version. It was pre-release anyways. The actual games runs a lot smoother without glitches. Well the PS3 is moving into the K/M realm. On UT3 you can plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and BAM there ya go! Playing just like a PC shooter! You might think, "Hey! That isn't fair for the people who don't use it!". Well they have a filter setting in the matches so you can ONLY allow K/M players or controller players or both. So I think very soon most shooters will support K/M on the PS3. I haven't seen any real implementations with this on the 360 yet but even without using it for games on the PS3, it has a built in web browser you can use it for!

Lost planet IS/WAS the most boring terrible shoot-em up I have ever played and I've played alot of them I hated them and wow you can play a ps3 like a computer or infact why not use a computer for that... I have nothing against the ps3 except I have a xbox 360 purely because: Same graphics (HD) More Games and its got better xbox only titles than the ps3 only titles. its also cheaper. I will eventually get a ps3 however buyng it would set me back about 10 games for 360 which isnt worth it (I get my games for ?25-?30 new!But apart from that it is good: ability to surf the web and the online is free and it is cheap for a blueray player it also actually plays blue-ray dvd's unlike the xbox were you need to pay to play hd but the laptop I'm getting has blueray which i can connect to my tv which get round that issue. I like the ps3 and don't have anything against owners except for me the xbox 360 is better and has better games ... especially shooters. Oh and the 360 controller is so much better than the PS3's I have to say.

I borrowed Lost Planet from a friend of mine for Xbox 360... I must say that I enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, I never really had a chance to play it online, but the single player mode was very fun. I enjoyed the story, and most aspects of the game.Haha... I actually have a reason to play it again too... I had to delete alot of the stuff on my hard drive... so I imagine that I'll probably be playing it again sometime in the future.

i always thought the pain killer games never got the attention that they deserved. i can sit there for hours with the stake gun just shooting zombies and seeing how i can pin them to walls, etc.such a good game, unfortunately i never had a chance to fully experience the online side of this game, the single player story and intensity was truly worth my time. very fun overall and very enjoyable game for those mature gamers