xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Carson

Setting Up Ftp Accounts

I would like to setup an FTP account for users of my website, but I'm not too sure how to do it. I'm using Joomla for a website, and the members who register can submit Articles in certain sections. I would like most of the images in these articles stored locally(also to get some functions, they need certain extensions on the file name, which a free host cannot do). So I would like there to be an FTP account that members can access and upload images too, but not delete any of them. Thanks.

I think I know what your saying, It'd have to be done manually though.Log into cPanel
Then go to FTP Manager (under Site Managment)
Then the first button ( Accounts )
Under "FTP Disk Usage/Quotas" Click Add FTP Account
Add the users' Login, Password and the Quota (how much bandwidth they're allowed)
The next bit is the bit you want the "Directory:" bit, This needs to be your image directory.
Then simply give the FTP login details to the person end user OR you could use this and edit the different files, using this there would be no need of a FTP Client. I have used this for one of my subdomains that I've given away. I CANT FAULT IT! It is really good!
Hope this helps
Karlos

I use FTP commander, now is the best outcome because you gave me explain where this error very quickly and very easily, I took a very similar mistake and I could settle. Sori for my inglish i am argentian :S

Ah mate i wish I could know what your saying. I think your having problems connecting through FTP Make sure you have the FTP login details your FTP login will be something like this

HOST:ftp.yoursite.trap17.com

Login: Your login you use to log into cPanel

Password: The password you use to log into cPanel

I wish I could know what your trying to say, I bet this is annoying for you

Hope I've helped even very slightlely

Karlos

I setup a custom account for a specific directory and I cannot login with the domain, username and password. I get an authentication error. And I'm using SmartFTP but im sure that is not a problem. I can also log in fine with the main FTP account, but obviously i dont want members using that. Sorrry for the late reply, I sort of forgot about this topic...