xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xshaun

Why Do So Many People Thinks Macs Are Bad?

I think it's because Windows machines are more widely used, and people just like what they're familiar with. It's like how some people hate Linux; it's just different for them. I agree Macs have some nice things going for them, especially the interfaces; however, I have a PC because it makes my life easier; this way my work is more likely to be compatible with commonly used applications. The type of computer/operating system one uses just depends on the type of tasks they're doing and the work they need to complete.

I think the biggest reason is compatability problems, I know that's the only reason I don't get a mac, because I'm a gamer and don't want to work to get my games to work, hence the reason I now dual boot windows and ubuntu 7.10. I despise using windows because it is so bloated, but because of my job and because of my will to game, I must use it; however, as soon as another operating system makes windows programs fully compatable, i'll totally switch.

t3jem hit on a critical point, which is that most commercial software (not just games, but applications in general) are aimed at a (Windows) PC Market. It is also as thorne said, different from the types of computers many people were raised on. Windows PCs hold the vast majority of computer users and people who try to make the switch are unsatisfied either because they (Macs) are lacking certain Windows features (or have them implemented very differently) or the Windows program ports for the Macs are full of bugs and glitches.

Personally, I like the style of Macs (who doesn't), but I don't like the system overall. To me, it seems that Apple Computers have lots of flash, but little substance (this is strictly talking about the operating system, not the programs available for the actual computer). That's not to say I'm a Windows fan either. I rather dislike Windows, but seeing as how nearly everything I use requires or is most compatible with Windows, I dual boot with XP and Ubuntu.

Well on top of the gaming and software issue, Mac computers were always bulky in size and of course that stupid "pwong" sound when the OS had an error and you had to reboot the system every 5 minutes and stuff. OF course I was never fond of the Mac OS GUI, and it was also it was limited in itself. Of course there are other things that haven't been mention that someone can think of as to why Mac's are horrible computer's to have.

You would hope that a company that controls 90% of the market share would care when 50% of it's market share has to dual boot to an open-source competitor to get all the functionality they want, but sadly, big companies only care about profit. I think suberatu hit on a good point too, that OSes other than microsoft usually tend to have more flash, but not quite so much functionality just due to interoperability and such. I was raised on windows and hadn't even really used another OS until i dual booted ubuntu to check it out and I was flabbergasted by the visual effects included with it, that is the main reason I went through so much trouble to keep it when I was putting windows back on my machine (Yea, I broke windows when I started my dual boot), but unfortunatly I still need windows to do my real work, this does make me annoyed and wish that Microsoft would serve the customer at some point and not it's stock holders.

this does make me annoyed and wish that Microsoft would serve the customer at some point and not it's stock holders.

Well you're in for a nice ride, Microsoft is stretching its legs with Vista for the moment.

I just plain don't like macs! I just don't like them, their GUI is HORRIBLE! They don't even have a right mouse button, and they are so bulky! (not including MacBookAirs) but if you think about it, unless you are a hardcore graphics designer/editor then you wouldn't even need a MAC,also there is a saying, if you have macs, you don't have any Windows in your house...

I just plain don't like macs! I just don't like them, their GUI is HORRIBLE! They don't even have a right mouse button, and they are so bulky! (not including MacBookAirs) but if you think about it, unless you are a hardcore graphics designer/editor then you wouldn't even need a MAC,
also there is a saying, if you have macs, you don't have any Windows in your house...

Their right mouse button is Control+Mouse Button. That's what "CONTROL" is used for.

There's another saying: If you have Windows in your computer, everyone can see your data.

It is ironic when you say you don't like Macs because their GUI is ugly, especially when Vista took some of their visual ideas from the Mac. About the right mouse button, if you actually insert a non Mac mouse, the right mouse button would function properly. If you love the Mac mouse, then control + click is the way to go. How can you say a Mac is bulky, I got a 20" iMac and it has definitely saved much more space than my previous PC which had such a bulky CPU. I just have a monitor which functions as everything. So bulky is the last thing a Mac would be. And again, I do game occasionally so sometimes when I am bored, I would boot up Windows XP via boot camp and start playing. But most of the time I am on Leopard. I am not a hardcore graphics designer but I am using a Mac, it is an overall much better OS than Windows in my opinion.

Wow mac haters LOL chill, I have to step in and defend my favorite OS. I don't know what macs were like back in the days but currently they are one of the smallest computer sizes available. For laptops i don't think I've seen many that are smaller in size then the macbook pros, I'm not talking about the airbook either. As for the OS rebooting every 5 minutes lol thats never happen to me on my macbook pro, If you load your OS with weak software that has errors you're going to have problems no matter what OS it is. I have to agree prior to the OS x the OS was so ugly, My middle school teacher had one of those mac box, it was so ugly. It felt like I was living in the dark ages. But OS X now IMO is so robust. Remember theres more ways to do things so just because your used to doing things a certain way in windows doesn't mean its the correct way to do it. I've used both windows and mac and I prefer mac, I've had less trouble with it granted I've only had it for under 2 years while I have been using windows for over 10 years. If I had switched to mac OS before OS x I probably would have had a bad experience.As for other things I like about it. The updates are great you just click update when you get alerts with new ones available, enter your password and thats it. It will download and install in the background. I don't even got to worry about viruses or my firewalls, I think the os handles all this for you. All I do everyday on it is boot up and start working. I don't have to worry about security.The macbook pro's aren't for games, its for work and media stuff. I busted the R key spamming a hot key on DOTA. yeah its almost broken so learned my lesson there. The parts are more expensive but I get a sexy machine and sexy OS to go with it. Well worth the money IMO then paying for a regularly laptop running windows by other manufactures. their plastic looking cases look like they were made in China, and the thickness is like a brick.I don't really mind if you don't want to buy one and think its a waste of money, You probably never owned one so have no idea how good it really is. Anyway its your loss and I couldn't care less, I just wanted a legit rant to rack up my points. Stick with your windows vista since you think its the best.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

I do not like mac's and we have them at school.They are very different, and do not have as much features as windows and do not work the same. If it was dual booted, and free, i would occasionally use it. But compatibility of ganmes, and applications and everything, and the mac hardware and stuff... its just not really realistically efficient, when more stuff comes out, and its changed a bit... itl be better