xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Top 10 Most Pirated Software On A Coporate & Internet Level

This information is based on the Software & Information Industry Association Report for 2007 and not overall statistics.

2007 Software Titles Most Frequently Pirated By Companies

1. Symantec Norton Anti-Virus2. Adobe Acrobat
3. Symantec PC Anywhere
4. Adobe PhotoShop
5. Autodesk AutoCAD
6. Adobe DreamWeaver
7. Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator
8. Roxio Toast Titanium
9. Ipswitch WS_FTP
10. Nero Ultra Edition

2007 Software Titles Most Frequently Pirated on the Internet

1. McAfee VirusScan2. Symantec Norton Anti-Virus
3. McAfee Internet Security Suite
4. Intuit TurboTax
5. Adobe Photoshop
6. Adobe Acrobat
7. Intuit Quicken Home and Business
8. Symantec Norton pcAnywhere
9. Symantec Norton Ghost

I will say this though at the Corporate Level that I am a bit disappointed that the Adobe products are not top 3, and the same at the Internet Level as well. Of course I am really surprised at the fact that Symantec is covering most of the top 10 in both lists, but of course what is really shocking that their is not one Microsoft product even though Microsoft products are the most pirated software across the world. Last month they netted $900 million dollars worth of pirated software across the world and so I think their report is lacking even though these are members of the SIIA and not overall.

I would say the results aren't completely accurate as well, microsoft products would definitly be on the list if not the top. I'm also surprised not to see any games.

no, onec people install their operating system, that's it...they are a lot more likely to 'accidentally' delete their copy of adobe photoshop or something.I am also surprised that there ain't any games on that list.but ain't abode acrobat free?

I'm surprised to see McAfee and Norton on there cause... well, they suck compared to free stuff out there (in my opinion). I'm confused as to why people would bother to pirate software that has better free alternatives.I'm actually not too surprised that there are no games on there. Gamers are still a bit of a niche market, even if there are a lot of us.

Well if it helps I went to the SIIA website and looked through the companies that have joined this list and it would seem Microsoft is not part of this group, and one would think that Microsoft has their own anti-piracy division just because of how widespread they are. As for acrobat, I believe that is the program that is used to make PDF files and not the reader itself. Since making PDF's is a proficient way to make online reports instead of spending hours creating a website for it and stuff.

As for the companies that actively participate in the the Anti-Piracy program I think the 10 top lists would make more sense:

* ActivePDF, Inc. * Adobe
* Aladdin
* AP Digital
* Apple
* Attest
* Autodesk
* Borland
* Business Objects
* Citrix
* Corel
* Dow Jones & Company
* Encyclopedia Britannica
* Filemaker
* Intuit
* Ipswitch
* J.J. Keller & Associates
* Kaplan, Inc.
* Lieberman Software
* Macrovision
* McAfee
* The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.
* The Neilson Company
* Nero
* Novell
* Oracle
* Quark
* Reed Elsevier Inc.
* Riverdeep Learning
* Sonic Solutions
* Symantec
* United Press International

As for game makers I say that is a tough call because of the fact that most of them don't use the CD Key format such as BIOWARE does with Neverwinter Nights.

The reason most microsoft products are not on the list has to do with how often they are updated. To be honest, people priate software a lot when it first comes out and very little afterwards. Also, antivirus software is pirated a lot because it is what people think of right away when they get a computer. However, no one does enough research to realize there are plenty of really good virus programs that are free like Avast.

The reason most microsoft products are not on the list has to do with how often they are updated. To be honest, people priate software a lot when it first comes out and very little afterwards. Also, antivirus software is pirated a lot because it is what people think of right away when they get a computer. However, no one does enough research to realize there are plenty of really good virus programs that are free like Avast.

Hehe, i'd have to say, if I were to pirate a piece of software, I certaintly wouldn't make it an AV program as the results could be devistating.

Question: Is this supposed to reflect most pirated software by download, or by counterfit copy? Or is it just overall?Regardless, I knew Photoshop and Dreamweaver would be on such a list, but I'm also surprised to see that they didn't land the top spots. MS products probably should be on there as well, but if this reflects software pirated by online download, then I can see how they're not up there (they're mostly gotten through bootleg CD's as far as I understand). However, I was also under the impression that Adobe Acrobat was free. That is, unless it has some function other than simply reading and creating PDF's. Does it?

I am very surprised to see Adobe Acrobot on the list as it is FREE. And no MS products - that's shocking.

Actually, Adobe Acrobat is not free. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free. There are two different programs :D. As far as Adobe Photoshop goes, I've always thought that they should lower the price of their software, but maybe not. Heck, their program is able to do amazing things. I wonder if GIMP can compare?

Adobe Acrobat is about editing pdf files.Maybe the reason of microsoft programs arent on the list is: You can hide your pirated copy of other things but how to uninstall WinXP when the inspectors show up :) :)

More people have pirated Norton than any other anti-virus that's actually worth it? Ahaha! That made my stomach hurt.It's weird Flash is not up there. Seems like more people buy it than I thought.

Well, no Microsoft's? I'm surprised. Take a look at Microsoft's most popular software : their OS and office sollution and not at top 10? That report is amazing. Where do you get the source?

I am very surprised to see Adobe Acrobot on the list as it is FREE. And no MS products - that's shocking.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is free whereas Adobe Acrobat, the software that is used for creating PDF documents is a Commercial software.

I don't think that all corporates are using pirated softwares. Usually the businesses that use pirated softwares are the new Startups and medium sized non-IT companies.