xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CiniMen

300 Needs Education Violence enthuses the audience so much these days that people will wat

This is about the movie '300.' It just so happens to be one of my favorite recent movies. But my question is, with such a historical topic as the Battle of Thermopylae, why couldn't they make it more educational? Not once do they even state the word 'Thermopylae.' Producers of the film MUST'VE known that with action that is portrayed in this movie, kids and teenagers all over would be dying to see it. Yet, they still chose to not give any educational facts, other than the ones that they needed for the plot, like 'Archadians.' This disappoints me. All this film did to society was promote violence. For Example: "What do you do when you don't get what you want?'' "Kill them! Because, this, is, SPARTA!!" Not exactly the best way to portray a war that changed the history of the world, in my mind. I think that I can truthfully say that I am an average viewer of movies. I am also an average student. For a project of mine, I am to study Greece and create a presentation that will enthuse the class. If I want to even have a chance of putting a smile on their faces, I must at least mention Spartans. I've chosen to evolve the whole project around it. A risky decision, yet I can count on the enthusiasm part. I hope that they will be interested in the information portion, not just the bloody aspect of the project. But that will be risky as well.Dispite all of that, this movie has continued to be one of my favorites, and I recommend you see it. Thanks for listening.

teenagers in the US don't really care about education, at least not the teens who are going to watch 300. This is why the movie producers made no effort to put educational value in it, they just wanted the action and graphics to attract everyone.

Well, as a teenager in the US who watched 300: I care about education. 300 was based on a comic book, which is why it is the way it is. It's a stylistic piece, along the lines of Sin City, and isn't meant to have historical accuracy.