xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Windows Vista Sp1 Blocks Antivirus Programs

Well it seems this is the first major problem for Vista SP 1 in the sense for those who have the following Secuirty Suites installed on your ocmputer that is running Vista. They block the following programs; Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.1, Trend Micro Internet Security 2008, BitDefender 10, and the 2008 version of the Jiangmin antivirus. As for the reason why these programs don't work, Microsoft says "they are incompatible and so they must be block". Well not exactly like that but you get the point they also mention that other small programs might now work either but didn't give much detail on those, but of course their is more to SP1's rocky start. Earlier Microsoft had to pull a prerequisite for installing the service pack or they might have some problems, however, the problem with that file is that it constantly rebooted systems, and soexpect more delays and stuff like that to mid-March.

However, the problems continue with SP 1 is that if your have problematic drivers then SP 1 won't install at all if your drivers are incompatible. There is some good news out of all of this SP 1 will contain over 300 hotfixes which include some interesting ones such as "a fix for a problem in which optical disks turn blank after being formatted with Vista's Live File System." Another good point would be that Norton and McAfee are not affected or we have even more problems, but it makes me wonder though which drivers have those problems though so I can, but it should be a interesting experience though to see what fun stuff they did to Vista though.

SOURCE

how to install bitdefender on windows xp professional

Windows Vista Sp1 Blocks Antivirus Programs

I have been trying and searching for so long to install bitdefender total security 2008 on my computer and I am running it on windows xp professional. I am no computer expert so if you could please give me a step by step instruction on how to install bitbefender I would appriciate it so much. Please help me. Thanx

-reply by roth

Well, Vista SP1 sounds like a genuine M$ stuff... "Hey, I don't like this piece of software - let's block it!"... Great... I would say that the likely cause is that SP1 is incompatible with itself, and thus it blocks software... Funny how Norton and McAffee aren't blocked... Dirty competition?Also, why the need for "Vista's Live File System" on CDs? Can't they use ISO-9660 or UDF? Jeez...Well, anyways, not my problem, but I just thought I'd add my two cents here... It's usefull to read stuff like this, so people don't get frustrated due to not knowing what is at hand...

Im using Vista with Kaspersky Internet Security without a problem here, and Kaspersky is so far the best I've tried, after using both Mcafee and Norton. It has a wide database of virus signatures so the software can easily eliminate recognized viruses on your computer, better than Norton or Trend Micro. Cheers.

I haven't had a chance to actually install anything under Vista... I was already turned off from the get-go when my machine crawled just moving a Firefox window around the desktop. (100% CPU load on a computer that meets Vista's recommended system requirements... sad.) It's interesting to know that it blocks all those programs we all love to use... and it might just be a personal prejudice or just crappy coding technique so that if Vista has no idea what it is, it will block it.I don't know if it's something you can disable... I actually thought Vista was pretty good once I killed User Account Control and did one thing at a time. As soon as I multi-tasked though... performance went out the window. (Pun? :) ) I didn't see much of anything that SP1 brought to the table, but it's nice to know that what I didn't see was just more complications to a crappy operating system.Then again, Windows XP wasn't all that great until SP2 came out...