xisto Community
Saint_Michael

High-def Format War Over?

Well that is the question, and several sites are comfirming that story last week as the last of the major distributors of High Def decided to drop the HD DVD format. With that single event happening it would seem that Blu-Ray has won the war, and that being said, how will the prices fair on that little event? Since that was the major problem problem in this war is that those dvd players where very expensive, and I still believe that the big name players are about $200 a pop, and the movies themselvs were about $30 a shot. Since I started with the DVD format back in 2002 I have collected my fair share of movies, tv series and all that stuff, I don't feel like replacing them, which of course I won't, but the question that comes to mind how long before the low def dvds are discontinued and all that good stuff?

Of course one website just bunked my price range of these players:

In 2006, according to the Consumer Electronics Association, the average player price was $500. This is a number that I personally find incredibly low given that Blu-ray players were introduced in the summer and fall of 2006 at $1000. (HD DVD players cost less, and so clearly dominated the early sales if the average unit sales price still came out at $500). Fast forward to 2007: The average selling price dropped to $395. In 2008, the CEA expects the average player price to drop to $307.

So that just answered my question that the low def dvds will be here for quite a long time till these HD players are like less then $200, but of course getting these movies won't matter much since I don't have a HDTV and that answers that little problem for awhile.

So that just answered my question that the low def dvds will be here for quite a long time till these HD players are like less then $200, but of course getting these movies won't matter much since I don't have a HDTV and that answers that little problem for awhile.

You and me both, Saint_Michael. I've never really understood the hype about High-Definition, anyway. Especially since HDTVs and equipment are usually twice as pricy as the regular kind...