xisto Community
Revan

Has Anyone Ever Seen This Before? Permission Denied on FTP Client

For some odd reason, one of the folders in my template folder cannot be renamed, deleted or edited in any way. I simply get the error 550 Rename/move failure: Permission denied upon trying to do any of the aforementioned things. I can download everything from it just fine, but as soon as I do anything to write to it or delete it, it gives me that error. I'm 99% sure its a glitch in the host because I've tried FileZilla and SmartFTP only to yield the same results. I have also tried using the file upload script on my control panel. A quick google gave very little insight and most of the people were just told to contact their administrator. So, thank you very much, and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I believe something along the lines of permissions needing to be reset was one of the solutions I read about. Thanks!

What is this mysterious folder called, and did you make it yourself? I'm just thinking it may have some data on it that your website needs to run properly.

I got that once when a file upload got stopped part way through as my connection disappeared. None of my FTP clients would let me do anything to the file, but the File Manager in cPanel let me get rid of the part file and upload it again. The same might have happened with your folder, so give it a try and see what happens.It might also be possible that a rogue script has gone and created the folder with the wrong permissions. Then you would have no rights to the folder to move it or delete it. That is often the problem with cache folders or folders used for file uploads. You may have to contact whoever made the script (if it isn't your own) and find out why it would happen, and see if they know of a way to fix it.

It's a folder within Templates and Joomla created it when I uploaded the template. I can't delete it in file manager, and every person I ask simply tells me to contact administrators. Thank you very much.

If it's a permission problem gone awry, can't you solve the problem by going into the FTP and changing the permissions? It seems that it's a permission problem that's going on. You might have accidentally made it with "000" permissions, in which case no one can read, write, or execute the files.

I wonder if the reason you can't delete it is because if the Apache Server creates a file, the Apache server 'owns' it. You might need to have a script written to delete the folder since only an Owner can do certain things to certain files/folders on Apache.you might be able to have a script written to chown() the folder, not sure.But I am not an Apache expert, nor am I a Joomla guru.

So you solved the problem? I had this exact problem with a Joomla template a couple of days ago. What I did was download it back to computer, re-name the template folder on the host, and re-upload it again from my computer. After that I could change all the permissions. I also uploaded the files in .zip from the file manager so there was no FTP error. I'm not sure though, at first I thought it was the template authors trying to protect their work, making the templates un-editable.