xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
blood&CLASSIQUE

Dreaming In Different Languages?

Has that ever happened to you? It kind of bothers me because I dream in only english. Even people who don't know or I haven't heard them speak in english...they speak in English! It's their voice but they speak fluent english! It's so bizarre, and I say that because I'm fluent in Cantonese, too. But I never dream in Cantonese...So ya. So tell me, do you dream in different languages?

I rarely have dreams in Norwegian... mostly English actually. I believe it has been once or twice it was in German, or atleast it sounded like German. Weird though. Very.

i had dreams in different languages, interestingly everybody talked that language from beginning to end.the other thing is thats even if they don't talk i can understand them, weird!!!

oh.. i had dreams with different languages, with chinese and japanese around me.. that's definitely confusing because i just only few words in chinese and can understand a little nihonggo.. It is really confusing and I really can't understand what the people around me are talking.

I always dream in English too, though I'm fluent in Cantonese and Chinese!

Yeah I have dreams sometimes where no one is speaking English and yet I understand them just fine ( even though I speak only english.....unless you count the smattering of spanish I've retained from highschool). I really don't think it's any real language either and yet everyone (including me) is just fine and dandy with conversing readily. Weird huh?

I speak two languages - to my parents, I speak our native language, as our background is Chinese; however, I speak English to everyone else. I occasionally let slip and even speak a bit of English to my parents, although they understand me perfectly ^_^In my dreams, there's generally not a lot of speech or whatever, but when there is, it's usually whatever fits the context. If I'm surrounded by friends in real life, I'd speak English, so that's exactly what I'd do in a similar situation in a dream.Then again, I don't even dream that often in the first place.

to be honest, my first language is portuguese...my first experience was when I started to learn english and to be honest, I was soooo happy to dream in english, cos it meant to me that I started to get used to the language... so.. only freud explains!!reagrds guys!!!peace out!

i think it's whatever language you use the most is the one you're going to dream since the dreams are your mind saying stuff.i actually do not pay attention to the language in my dreams. since ther's rarely any talking, but whenver there is talking it's eather english, creol, sometimes french, and lately even spanish, since i've been learning spanish.

wow, it's kinda strange to have a dream in different language than the one you speak, especially if you do not speak that language yet you know the meaning.. to be honest, it's a bit bizzare.. :)btw, do you mean the whole dream was in different language? if not, i've experienced it before.. it's just like i'm talking to a foreign man using english (as english is not my mother language).. but after talking with that foreign man using english, i talked to another friend of mine using my usual language..

well it is not all that bizzare. As was mentioned before, you hear the language of your mind. Language is only the shell, for it takes when it leaves you vocal cords. See it as telepathy (i only mean it just as an example). Two telepaths don't even need words to communicate, they use the language of the mind, they can be of any race, nationality and speak different languages, yet the language of mind is universal.

I've had various dreams in which different languages were spoken. Mostly it was Japanese, but there was some in India and a couple in one of the Arab countries. I don't know which. As previous posters said, it's really weird because I understand every word spoken...

I have heard from many people that once you have learned a language, you know you are fluent once you are able to have a dream with the language. Of course that does not mean that that is the only way to see you can speak a language fluently but it does show understanding as your mind is able to think subconsciously in that language. Another way to know of course is if you are able to switch from one to the other while speaking. I have been learning Spanish for quite some time now but have yet to achieve any sign of fluency but I hope one day it comes.

I'm deaf and my language is ASL (american sign language) but in my dreams, I had NOT once, never ever seen anybody use ASL in my dreams, it is really weird. Instead of ASL, they just speak as like a normal hearing person. I somehow understood them and what they'r saying. However, U guys know that deaf people always watch TV with closed captions, right? there was a one time when I dreamt myself playing with my younger cousin and we were talking, I watched her while I'm reading the closed captions right at the bottom of "screen" of my dream (Those CC look just exactly like what u see on TV and those CC represents what my cousin was saying). It was really funny because, why the hell there is CC in my dream?

-reply by FLCLeureka7