xisto Community
DSGamer3002

How Often Do You Use Css? As opposed to using simple font and div tags

CSS is basically made to make your html coding a heck of a lot easier. However, sometimes I prefer to use html instead of CSS since it sometimes gets frustrating to refer to the same old style sheet and use an old font ID you made about a week ago. I find it a lot more efficient to just type out the specified font color/style/size in the <font> tag than to use an individual <div> or <table> for certain fonts you'd like to use. Sure, it's very helpful a lot of the time to use CSS in most cases, since it's kind of like a very simplified version of PHP but in a different case, but sometimes for small sites it's better to just not deal with another file.How do you usually use CSS, and how often?

I've used CSS as soon as I knew it existed. At the time I thought there must have been an easier way to do fonts than copy and pasting the same font tags over and over. Making a change to one style across an entire site was also a chore: find and replace in dozens of separate files, just to slightly change the colour of a font :P CSS makes life so much easier. Even for the smallest sites I design, I'll still use a separate CSS file.

If you're still using the font element, you'd better get out of that habit pretty quickly. When HTML5 comes into play, the font element is going to disappear, along with things like the center element and u for underline.

Check the changes to see what will happen with HTML5: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

...along with things like the center element and u for underline.

Ah, i don't see that as a problem. HTML5, i hear, will make XHTML be more like what it's supposed to be—have xml attributes; that is, you should be able to make your own elements. So all i'd have to do is:
font[color=blue] {color: blue;}center {text-align: center;}u {text-decoration: underline;}etc...

I use CSS all the time, i love being able to change the whole style of my entire website by changing just one file, I've actually made a script one that would change my style according to the time of year. I definitly like CSS and use it in all my websites now.

i think CSS is not going to make design easier for designer, it make is a bit more complicated but in return your website will be loaded much quicker than before. when you have external css file saved on temporary internet file it means that all formating details can be referred to the saved file and that helps to reduce size of the page which saves a lot of time for visitor. an example of that are forums, if you have noticed forums with loads of tables and details are loading quicker than you expect.

I use CSS in every page of a website for anything that is more than a single-use formatting change. I use some CSS in my layout since to me tables are just fine. I know people say you get better google ratings and quicker loads with CSS but if you research it, you really dont. When you are working with a huge db of information, the only possible way to display it is with tables and they load just fine. The point of css is to make altering the format of you website quick and easy. It basically took the OOP principle of regular programming and adapted it for html. Therefore, use CSS for things that happen all the time on your page or that probably will happen a bunch and format the rest however you would like.;

I use it almost all the time. It's very handy and I don't have to copy and paste a lot of codes. However, I will use html if I am using different layouts/fonts for individual pages in a website.

CSS Vs HTML. There are certain things you can do in CSS to add to your basic HTML to customize it easier. I don't use CSS much, I keep things simple with HTML/XMl. I sometimes use JavaScript, but yeah, mainly I stick to HTMl. If you are new to web design, I'd say HTML is the easiest to learn, and just stick to that till you are fluent, before moving on.Of course, since then they've made XHTML and HTML5 Etc, I tend to use the same basic HTML all the way throughThanks.

Edited by Wetton (see edit history)

Talking about <font> tags, I think we should?never?talk?about?about?it?in?future.?It?is?now?just?a?relic.?Its?officially?discarded?from?html5?and?finds no?place?in?any version of xhtml.?<font>?is?purely?presentational?and?it?makes?the?code?look?horrible!?Css wins over it any situations. In past people complained lack of support for css in brosers, bu now what even IE 6?has?more?than?enough?support?for?it.?css?is?easy?to?maintain.??I?am?surely?for?the?css.

Even beginners should not be taught about font tags. Most often they would just confuse with?its?code?in css. Ok if you are talking about changing specific attributes for text do it via css why you want to go for font tags. I only use css no matter what. In hml of course i sometimes use those codes but only for testing purposes, as you already told it is easier.

Edited by nitish (see edit history)

Even beginners should not be taught about font tags. Most often they would just confuse with its code in css.

I couldn't agree more. I've noticed that those whose use HTML instead of CSS don't have strong facts to justify their choice. They are simply trying to resist change.

However, sometimes I prefer to use html instead of CSS since it sometimes gets frustrating to refer to the same old style sheet and use an old font ID you made about a week ago.

Why not change it in CSS whenever you think the font is now obsolete. Besides I don't like sites that keep changing their looks. I believe there should be some uniformity in your pages and pages shoud not change the way they look in a matter of days. Imagine if one day you see your Google search results in Verdana, the next day in Lucida console and then days later they change it to Times New Roman. I don't think sane people would love that.

I couldn't agree more. I've noticed that those whose use HTML instead of CSS don't have strong facts to justify their choice. They are simply trying to resist change.
Why not change it in CSS whenever you think the font is now obsolete. Besides I don't like sites that keep changing their looks. I believe there should be some uniformity in your pages and pages shoud not change the way they look in a matter of days. Imagine if one day you see your Google search results in Verdana, the next day in Lucida console and then days later they change it to Times New Roman. I don't think sane people would love that.

I agree on that, a website should have homogeneous look throughout the pages and should not change it that often, but that's just my personal opinion... nevertheless it seems like it's been like that for most popular sites in the last few years, while it was possibly more common to have fancy colors and the like in the early age of the internet, perhaps people just wanted to try out all tags :) anyway it's a matter of taste after all... clothes, cars, etc. use different shapes and colors every couple of years so does mainstream web design...

I still think sometimes it is ok to "break the style", for example if one page is really special or displays a different content or we want to achieve "special effects", just wondering if it's a good practice to put the css declaration inside a tag every now and then when it's not worth it creating a new id (for example <p style="font-size:......>), is it recommended/deprecated/ok?

CSS is basically made to make your html coding a heck of a lot easier. However, sometimes I prefer to use html instead of CSS since it sometimes gets frustrating to refer to the same old style sheet and use an old font ID you made about a week ago. I find it a lot more efficient to just type out the specified font color/style/size in the <font> tag than to use an individual <div> or <table> for certain fonts you'd like to use. Sure, it's very helpful a lot of the time to use CSS in most cases, since it's kind of like a very simplified version of PHP but in a different case, but sometimes for small sites it's better to just not deal with another file.
How do you usually use CSS, and how often?

Almost every day man... I am into lot of things these days and that keeps me engaged. CSS is only a part of the full picture... I have few websites of my own and have few blogs too.. These needs continues maintenance else will go to crap, so kind of needs my attention always.... So i have no other choice but to tweak them regularly and keep myself updated. Though i do not create css of my own, i work a lot on that. Most of the time, i change/ tweak the codes that are available online or elsewhere...

For tweaking there are so many references I have, though Google helps in most of the time.

I agree sites should be mostly uniform in their appearance. It's nice to update once in awhile though as web standards and design trends change. It also gives the impression that you're trying to keep your site as current as possible.CSS has made the process of changing pages so easy and convienent. Plus, by altering it instead of the actual HTML, you're more likely to keep key features of your site, such as its navigation, constant. This is much easier on your visitors. I'm always a little annoyed when sites I really like completely revamp their appearances, to the point where I can't find what I'm looking for. Small, incremental changes are best so that your appearance "evolves" over the years.

I've fallen out of web design recently , and almost forgot CSS a few weeks ago untilI brushed up using a few tutorials on the web , but CSS is generally a must have tool. I use it all the time now :lol:

just like rvalkass.. I started using html and css as soon I knew it existed.. They are like partners for me.. no css no html.. and now I already have a company when I am creating a web site = CSS, HTML, and PHP...everytime I am thinking of a site I am thinking first of a website layout for the css.. It's like "float" is much better than table.. and sometimes table WITH a STYLE is much better than normal table tag without a style..you can do many things with css not just changing font colors and backgrounds...