xisto Community
saitunes

What Music Software Do You Use To Play Music?

What music software do you use? I'm talking free or free versions of stuff...

I'm on a mac, and use iTunes... it's good, but I'm looking for a decent free player... On a PC I LOVED QMP (quinntessential media player) which is beta and QCD (same thing but without a media library) It had so much freedom of use... and was based on old winamp code, so its fairly stable...

Any ideas?

Normally I use iTunes, since I have a Mac too, but for listening the music that I didn't necessarily get "the right way" I'll use QuickTime Player or just upload it to a file-upload site and listen to it via stream. :P

I just found a freeware one called cog... and it's a simple player which is what i want... iTunes is good and cool, but if i just want a light player its a big too much for what i want sometimes... Cog is pretty good try it

just keep itunes. thats what i use. and nothing beats itunes! specially if you have an ipod or what not. itunes keeps you updated on the latest with all their little features:like the top 100 new songs countdownnew releases & your able to browsefor almost everything! because itunes is so popular!so defenetely stick to the cute itunes (: [that too! i love the player, & all the settings, my favorite is the one where, when you play songs, you just see the song's artist cd, rotating on a circlike like a slideshow! its super amazing! haha]

Sorry to interuppt the flow of this topic,

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/23414-what-software-do-you-use/

Topics similar to the one listed above, are deemed in the Xisto read-me as topics you should never make. Unfortunately, this topic could well fall into that category. So please, instead of simply listing which players you plan to use, explain why you use it, some of the advantages to the program, etc. At least it will be a topic that contributes to the forums a little more. (and look on the bright side.... you get more credits for a better explanation).

Edited by KansukeKojima (see edit history)

Before I got a mac I always liked Winamp because it loaded fast on windows, before that I used to use crappy windows media player for a while until I discovered Musicmatch. It had many handy features I liked including ripping your CDs into mp3 and also the CD info to grab user submitted track info like names and album titles. I think it also hand cd cover images displayed while you played it too.At first I didn't really like itunes but once you get used to it it kinda grows on you. I'm not sure what else are great for media library's like itunes for mac is out there so I think itunes is probably the best in that category of players. I like the library views it offers very easy to use.

I'm not knocking iTunes, iTunes does alot for a free program... Just when I'm multitasking, and i'm just listening to music, i just want a simple media player that plays music... when I'm multi tasking... i want stuff that use as little as possible memory usage.

When I was a PC user, using QMP/QCD from http://quinnware.com/, Its light, does everything, ripping, encoding, converting, it uses CDDB for importing tags, its basically winamp, but i like it a bit better.
compatible with most winamp plugins, think of it as Winamp PRO for free... essentially

I'm on Ubuntu 7.10 and I use Rhythmbox music player; however, if I ever do play music while in my music partition (not often) I'll use windows media player.

I like a music player if it is simple and light weigth. For Linux (Ubuntu) I love Amarok, which really has whatever I want in a m.p.For Windows I could not yet find any player of the sort. Nevertheless I use winamp.Could you offer me another player which would have the qualities I seek?Thanx.

baby boomer,

if you want a light-weight one for windows, try the one i mentioned earlier, QCD, as long as its just a playlist or something simmilar... but if you want something with a media library you should try the beta QMP. (the only difference between teh two of them is the media library) it's my favorite media player because its light, customizable and free.

just look at some of the plugins and skins, and if you're a whiz with code you can make your own plugins, and if you have gimp or photoshop you can make your own skins...

When i use windows, its my prefered media player for ALL applications. It's never let me down once... of course occaisonally if i get a dodgy plugin or a conflicting plugin it might crash it, but since its in beta, i only add one plugin per session.

plus its compatible with winamp dsp (and im pretty sure) encoders and playback plugins

I just use WMP on Windows and Amarok on Kubuntu. WMP, unlike Internet Explorer, actually has quite a few features, and I can customize my Amarok dock window the way I want.(Aha, there's another thing that's good about KDE: all the widnows are configurable.)

I have always been using iTunes to play music. However the problem of using iTunes in Windows is that for some reason the scrolling of songs is a little draggy compared to using it on a Mac. I can't really find any fault with iTunes, it has an attractive clean layout, synchronizes with my iPod and above all it really organizes my music according to the artist name, song title, album title as well as track number. Saves me lots of time reorganizing like how I used to do with Windows Media Player.