xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Weird And Wonderful Computer Furniture

Well I saw this I have to those are some sweet set ups, although it begs the question if they are worth it or not or if you have the room to set them up.

1. Vision One Computer Workstation

Posted Image

Want a workstation as comfortable and ergonomically healthful as the cockpit of your car (or the car you wish you had)? Look no further than the Vision One line, which comes equipped with your choice of genuine car seats in various colors, finishes, and configurations. The 12-way-powered Porsche leather bucket seat (pictured) is the most popular upgrade; Corvette and Viper seats are available as well. Prices start at $1700.

The Flagship model shown ($2600 and up) supports three flat-screen displays (or maybe one of Alienware's upcoming curved DLP screens), brackets for a 5.1-speaker surround-sound system, padded and pivoting elbow supports, and an adjustable metal foot rest. Together with the optional matching side rack, it supports multiple PCs and game consoles, as well as a plethora of peripherals--all made to order in the United States in the finest hot-rod tradition. But where's the rear-view mirror?

If I was an executive to a technology company. BAM! I would have that set up 1 screen for tv, 1 for a computer, and 1 for a tv hooked up to a console. Heck you don't have to worry about spilling anything or having something get in the way as you enjoy each monitor, however, it to bad you couldn't turn that chair into a mini bed and take a power nap after a hard day of working.

2. X-Rocker Pro Gaming Chair

Posted Image

Serious gamers will covet Ace Bayou's new X-Rocker Pro-Series chair (expected to sell for $199), which is scheduled to ship next fall. Like earlier X-Rockers, this one keeps you low to the action, envelops you with sound, and has adjustable armrests so you can wave your Wiimote as freely as you like.

The X-Rocker Pro comes with four internal speakers and a subwoofer for twice the power of the previous X-Rocker. It also has wireless audio capabilities, so you won't be tripping over cords on your way to the fridge for some Red Bull.

A side panel with an array of ports and controls accommodates all your gear. You can even use the chair as a iPod listening station when you aren't playing games. The chair's hollow core resonates with the bass in music and sound effects, providing vibrations to accompany the audio, greatly enhancing the gaming experience. A headphone jack holds out the possibility of keeping parents or roommates happy.

A final bonus: Socially oriented gamers can daisy-chain multiple X-Rocker Pros together, so all participants in a group game can experience the full intensity of every blast.

I would say it's a halfway decent chair to havem and I have seen some sweet set up's, especially when a Grand Turismo game come out you see people send in pic's to gaming magazines of their gaming chair.

3. Steelcase Walkstation

Posted ImagePosted Image

The Steelcase Walkstation ($6,500) is no gimmick. Straight from the august maker of Frank Lloyd Wright office furniture, in association with the respected Mayo Clinic, comes the Walkstation--a combination computer desk and treadmill.

Don't expect to work and run, however. This treadmill is capable of a maximum speed (or should we say "terminal velocity"?) of just 2 miles per hour, in 0.1-mile increments, so you're in no danger of working up a sweat. But merely by standing and walking at a leisurely pace, you'll burn as many as 100 extra calories per hour, elevate your base metabolic rate, and increase your focus and productivity, according to Mayo research. A privacy screen and near-silent operation make the Walkstation usable in open-cubicle settings, and you can order it in any of Steelcases' usual wide array of colors and finishes.

The logistics of the Walkstation seem a tad cumbersome, however. Presumably, most users will opt to work on the treadmill for only part of the day, which would necessitate moving their computer back and forth between treadmill and desk, and employing two sets of keyboards, mice, and monitors. To avoid the resulting hardware overload, consider the Sit-to-Walkstation model, which simplifies the transition between the two positions.

I see the health benefits I really do, but really who could concentrate of walking and trying to do work on a computer? Although I like the second set up and the tower rack that is being used, now would be something to have because you can get a bit more ventilation, and also if your running a water cooling system through your PC the extra would go for the water storage.

4. SmartBeds Computer Beds

Posted ImagePosted Image

Italian designer Colombo 907's SmartBeds are the cleverest Murphy beds we've seen yet, and good-looking to boot. The Tale model ($3650) is a single-size bed that folds up to become a computer desk. Astonishingly, you don't have to move anything off the desk to open the bed. In fact, you can leave everything plugged in, and your desktop remains fully accessible when the bed is open, so you can grab your laptop or a book to read.

The Tale comes in six finishes. It includes a 6-inch-thick foam mattress and has a fingertip lift mechanism.

Meanwhile, the Tama model ($5386), a full or queen-size double-bed version of the SmartBed, is perfect for a home office that doubles as a guest room. The Tama shown at right is the full-size double-bed version of this item.

College Dorms and small apartments would appreciate this set up because now you got more room to play with, like using that gaming chair or something. Although I would say trim down the price to at least half to make it more affordable, because its not like your getting a computer or anything with it.

5. Ejection Seat Office Chair

Posted Image

The genius modders at Motoart made this $5300 rolling chair from a genuine B-52 bomber ejection seat. It isn't exactly ergonomic, but we can think of more than a few programmers who could have used one at times. And it's the perfect gift for the Yahoo employee on your list.

This Vietnam-era carpet bomber (nicknamed BUFF) has upper and lower decks for the pilots and navigator/observer. So do you pick the downward-eject version, or the upward? Guess it depends on where your boss' office is.

BUFF chairs are custom-upholstered in the color you specify. And since the Defense Department doesn't sell old plane parts any more, once these babies are gone, BUFFs will be history. Poke around the Motoart site for glimpses of other goodies, such as Rocket and Piston desk lamps--the perfect companions for your bomber chair (not to mention the dream rec-room decor for watching a Houston vs. Detroit NBA final).

The idea is interesting but it seems less comfortable then it looks. So I think I would take the first two, option 2 of number three, Queen size version of number 4, and leave number 5 alone.

SOURCE

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

The first thing I thought of when I saw the Vision One workstation was that it looked like one of those electronic drum kits Posted Image. I think I'd want it in blue though rather than red, but otherwise quite cool. Porsche seat and one really wide desktop across three monitors would make doing my coursework so much nicer Posted Image

I've never been a massive fan of gaming chairs, seeing as you can make your own quite easily with an old chair and a big subwoofer or three.

The Walkstation is just a stupid idea - end of discussion Posted Image Minor health benefits, but running an office full of treadmills is going to increase the electricity bills slightly I would have thought.

The Computer Bed is not a bad idea for small rooms (or for people too lazy to use the Walkstation in an office, so they can get this instead Posted Image ) but is way too expensive. Hopefully someone will make a cheap copy soon enough. One small problem though: when you flip the bed up, wouldn't that pillow just fall out the back and onto the floor?

Now, the Ejector Seat is a brilliant idea! I just wonder if they left the ejection mechanism in working order...

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

that is a combination on your thread subject that i can't seem to resist, stmike! :D WEIRD + WONDERFUL + COMPUTER + FURNITURE! but you really got me at WEIRD in the first place, so here i am with my comments. :Pthe Vision One Computer Workstation is a little over-the-top for me, at least design-wise. too many pivoting elbow supports seem a bit distracting. an all-black finish would have been more appealing instead of red, and i'm partial also to blue as rvalkass said above if it can be customized that way. :P the selling point for me however is the monitor array plus the posh seats. :Dthe X-Rocker Pro Gaming Chair on the other hand is just a souped-up rocking chair in my point of view. :P now this Steelcase Walkstation is not soon to become a best-seller. although it intends to cater to health fanatics in the workplace, a multi-tasking of work and exercise is something not really within the culture of the office. perhaps you'll see these in gyms for use by the secretary's and receptionists, but i doubt it very much if those people would enjoy the thing. :DSmartBeds Computer Beds... now we're talking! :D that is something which is both practical and creative rolled into one! although the price is a little bit steep, which is a downside of course. but the design is really something which can easily be replicated, don't you think? :D knock-offs of this particular design could be made available by business-minded individuals, especially to cater to a much wider clientele including students... at a lesser cost. :D i wouldn't mind a DIY project for this one, just to cut down on the cost. i'm just a little troubled if it can be stable and will not topple over when the bed is folded up and the base/foundation becomes narrow. will this thing be bound to a wall for additional support? the Ejection Seat Office Chair is something akin to a sadomasochist chair. :P just add some chain straps! LOLZ! :D perhaps a good conversation piece in the office, and a pop-art piece for the cultured ones. maybe of good use if you can force your boss to use it. :D and a remote-control is provided for every employee to deploy ejection with just a push of the button! :D

Number 1 looks like a drumkit mixed with the interior of a sports car. It's interesting, but i don't see myself placing my feet on there, and i don't see what all the "drums" can be used for. For number 2, i can't use a computer that far down—even if i were a gamer. Number 3, i hope the computer isn't hooked up to the treadmill. As for number 4, i'd hate to try and turn it into a desk. I would assume that the bed is what provides weight to keep the thing from tilting over. If i were to place my computer parts on there, i would expect the thing to fall over. Also, i hope that thing is built to reduce labor. Number 5, no comment. :P

Out of all of those choices, I would think that the Italian Columbo 907 would be the best choice... but I wouldn't pay $5000 for a combination desk/bed. :lol: Give me a "normal" chair and desk... these choices aren't exactly very fitting for the home decor, not to mention possibly uncomfortable or ill-designed for ergonomics.

But you have to admit, it would be really cool to have one! The bed design is a little impractical.. I use my computer while in bed.. how does that work out?

Thats putting the brain to good use! They look comfortable and stylish not to mention the treadmill getting fit at the same time your at your computer.

Steelcase Walkstation

Weird And Wonderful Computer Furniture

You know it might be nice to have Steelcase Walkstation because you can exercise and use the computer at the same time. It's perfect if you're indoors and you're too lazy to go out there, you can just use it. You won't even know that you're walking once your used to it.

-reply by Manley

Friends of classic designer furniture. I was long looking for a Charles Eames office chair that I could afford and now my brother pointed out that Staples sells them. Different names, but same design. Finally I got the great Charles Eames I always wanted.