xisto Community
gameratheart

I Need Opinions On My New Site please visit and tell me what you think

Thanks to Xisto, and two days of non-stop work on my website, I am now ready to announce what is now my third (and, I hope, final) relaunch of my website, Hangman, Inc. Gaming and Software.

The last time I launched this website, I had this idea of integrating Forum Software with an effective Content Management System. The original aim was to make the website, forums, and the Games Database interact with each other so that they all worked with one another. The problem was that, instead of using an actual Content Management System, I instead chose to use a CMS-style Mod on an SMF Forum. This turned out to be too restrictive and also put strain on my database, and in the end the website practially killed itself. So I scrapped the old site, came here, and decided to start afresh.

This time, my site does a proper job of things. The main website is done using Joomla! CMS, with an SMF Forum integrated into it thanks to a Joomla Bridge Extention. I decided on this combination because it allows for a professional-looking website while still being easy to use and administrate (and also because I have expirience with SMF).

But, I want to know if my redesign was actually worth it. So now, I'm asking if anyone out there on the web can come to my website and tell me what you think! Your comments will help towards the development of my website, so don't be afraid to tell me your honest opinions. Oh yeah, and please vote on the poll on the front page once you're done. That's just another way of submitting your input.

The website URL is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, or you can also try http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, whichever you find easier. I should note at this point that this website was only just opened to the public, so while the Forums may be open, they are devoid of content at the moment, and while all the links do work, "Games" and "Software" don't actually lead anywhere yet. Thanks for your help!

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)

I personally don't like how your on joomla and then switch to aef for the forums, I could be wrong but doesn't joomla have forums already? what ever the case you probably prefer aef so thats a good enough reason to use it.

I personally don't like how your on joomla and then switch to aef for the forums, I could be wrong but doesn't joomla have forums already? what ever the case you probably prefer aef so thats a good enough reason to use it.

You're right - I just searched on Google, and while Joomla doesn't have Forums built-in, there are a few extentions available that can allow a forum to be integrated into Joomla. The main one is for SMF, so it looks like I'm going to switch back to SMF Forums and integrate the two together. I'll post later confirming the results.
EDIT: The integration went flawlessly! Now you can register an account on my website and also use my Forums. The link on the website will show you the Joomla version of the forums, which is practically the same as the regular forums, except that you get to see the whole site and the forums just go into the middle. If this doesn't work, however, you can view our forums like they're supposed to be by going to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - as far as I know they both work.

Thanks to Xisto, and two days of non-stop work on my website, I am now ready to announce what is now my third (and, I hope, final) relaunch of my website, Hangman, Inc. Gaming and Software.

The last time I launched this website, I had this idea of integrating Forum Software with an effective Content Management System. The original aim was to make the website, forums, and the Games Database interact with each other so that they all worked with one another. The problem was that, instead of using an actual Content Management System, I instead chose to use a CMS-style Mod on an SMF Forum. This turned out to be too restrictive and also put strain on my database, and in the end the website practially killed itself. So I scrapped the old site, came here, and decided to start afresh.

This time, my site does a proper job of things. The main website is done using Joomla! CMS, with an SMF Forum integrated into it thanks to a Joomla Bridge Extention. I decided on this combination because it allows for a professional-looking website while still being easy to use and administrate (and also because I have expirience with SMF).

But, I want to know if my redesign was actually worth it. So now, I'm asking if anyone out there on the web can come to my website and tell me what you think! Your comments will help towards the development of my website, so don't be afraid to tell me your honest opinions. Oh yeah, and please vote on the poll on the front page once you're done. That's just another way of submitting your input.

The website URL is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, or you can also try http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, whichever you find easier. I should note at this point that this website was only just opened to the public, so while the Forums may be open, they are devoid of content at the moment, and while all the links do work, "Games" and "Software" don't actually lead anywhere yet. Thanks for your help!

''how about adding several polls and pictures''.

I like it I must say though there are some suggestions you should attentd to. Firstly of all what is that blank space under the black sign of your companies or sites name. Then I like how you used joomla however you should customize it a bit more and you should hide the button or link leading to th sign in panel for your administration board.Also another thing is that you should customize your template for the forums since the problems with it is that it has quite different well everything from the joomla template and you should customize buttons link s representation and so on. There is still a lot of work behind this however you are on the good path.And one more thing that interests me is whether you made joomla template yourself or not.

The "Software" link will not work for a LONG time, because as-of-yet I haven't actually got round to creating any software yet. That link is only there in case any Software developers out there would like to join the site to give them another place to distribute their software.As for "Games"... well, I just added the first of what shall hopefully be many games onto the site, so that link now works. That's one more task crossed off :P The "Forum" link also works now, and it will take you to a special page on our site with the forums placed into the middle of the main site. Unfortunately, you can't actually log in to our forums from the site itself, as it seems the Joomla Login script has been broken somehow. I'm trying to work out what happened so I can fix it. You can still use the direct link to our forums and log in there, however - it just won't be reflected on the site. (The direct link to the forums is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - this link takes you away from Joomla so you only see the "pure" forums) Also, on Feb 21, 2008 I changed the theme of my forum, so that looks much better now. I'm also currently looking for a new theme for Joomla so I can change that as well (I am HOPELESS at making themes, especially since I'm new to Joomla).New polls have now been added to the site, and it will now randomly select one every time you view a page on my website.As for images... well, I'm not much of an artist, but I do plan to put some screenshots of my games somewhere on the site, so they'll probably be added soon, too.

I see you've changed it to using some package for joomla. It looks awesome at first look. There is one noticable difference from moving from the home/default section onto forum. I like how it keeps the same look and skins but the default width on forums is fixed. It kinda looks weird when you come from a expandable width page to a fixed width page. Other then that I don't think I can comment on it anymore.

I've done some major changes to the website since I originally posted this article, so I'm going to create a new topic for people to comment in, just to make it easier to track the newer comments from the older ones. With that in mind, can any moderator please close this topic so I don't have two going at once? Thank you.

Mmmm, Joomla, well seeing as you didn't make the site, I don't see why you'd want a review, even the template was premade. Don't get me wrong, I like Joomla! And I like the theme you've got there too! But why would you want reviews on it? It's not like you could improve on it if we gave you ideas? Well, I suppose you could add more mods and stuff, or find a better template. Looks like it has everything it needs though. :lol:

Im one of those people that like symetric designs. The grey bar on the nav area, and the title bar is putting me off aswell. Those things should bebalanced -- In my oppinion -- . I'd also change the content boxes in the middle (the right one a lighter shade of black) just so you won't get confusedwhen reading. And well... i just read the intro of your website. But new visitors probably won't have a clue what's it about. The side needs to appeal toyour target visitor. All in all, not a bad start and don't get discoureged (sp?) :-)

nice site and nice work the layout of joomla is pretty good and yeah the combination of the red and black is really awsome looks good but now you need to add what is requirement of every site that is data like your site is related to softwares, games etc so add such things yeah one things on is it not possible for you the change the layout from 800*600 to 1024*864 cause now a days the default size of the site is 1024*867 Also increase the menu. try to add some materials in home page and also adding about the new addition of the softwares and games that attract the visitorstry to add some images of the softwares and games that also make the home page good and attractivewell it's your site you know better about it. i just give comments on it. there are many here who can give you more good comments on your site best of luck for you and your site.

Do you guys even read? I've already asked for this topic to be closed. Please don't post here anymore - I'm making a new topic to discuss recent changes.