xisto Community
devin_love3

Artificial Intelligence Is it ethical?

Scientists have been experimenting with AI for quite some time in the field of robotics. One issue that people have been skptical over is how dangerous would AI become. Im sure many people have seen movies like I-Robot and Bicentennial man. The idea of a robot having its own mind, conscience, and free is appalling to most. The main problem is that if robots or "androids/cyborgs" can learn, they can eventually get smarter than humans and deem us as obsolete. They may also one day decide that they no longer want to listen to commands. Or they may stumble upon an engineering book and learn how to reprogram themselves. The possibilites are endless. So what is your opinion? Are you for or against AI?

I would not go that much in the discussion whether or not this is correct. However, I would like to note impoartant thing and that is that zou are showing wrong definition of the terms. And atha is. Android is human like robot with artificial skin and cyborg is lifeform like humans with robotic implants. Robots do not have to look like humans and don't even have to have aritificial intelligence the name refferes to the repetitive doing of the same job.

I personally doubt that Artifictual Intelligence could be created as of this century. And by Artifictual Intelligence I do not just mean a machine that can make decisions after gathering data and operating special programms and running special applications, and outputting the results. I mean a virtual creature that would be able to adapt to ANY envioronment and find its way out using only the resources given (kinda like human. Or a dog. or a squirell. or... whatever you prefer.) The definition of AI is not just thinking, but learning. This is not possible as of now. About the dangers, etc - I think, they are extremely overrated by movies like Matrix, I-robot, the Terminator, and many many of their clones. Yes, if such a creature, as described in the paragraph above were to become reality one day - it could really suck for us if it decided to be mean. But, hey, if it is smart enough that is is like a kid and wants to learn, why would it ever attack its 'parents'? Or, if you prefer to be as annoyingly rational as I am and agree that there is no way a computer generated brain could have feelings or emotions - think logically. If it kills everyone - what is going to happen to it? Living on an empty cold plaet and eventually dying of not having energy? With noone to speak to (If you want to say that there is going to be mechanical sperm cells or mechanical eggs, or that the cybernetic organisms will be able to make kids due to wave interference of their thoughts - please stop, close your browser, open Microsoft Word, write a bad Science Fiction book, make some money and give some to me for giving you the idea) it will soon become depressed (if you assume that they have feelings) or just die in the end (even if it takes millions of years till every single resource on Earth runs out) lieaving a cold piece of rock flying around the Sun, if you are a realist.My point is - Artifictual Intelligence cannot be dangerous. Even if it could be created as of now. Which it cannot be.

I also don't see Artificial Intelligence (at least at the level portrayed by movies) as a reality within the near future. Also, I don't really see it as much of a threat in the first place.

Well, aren't the scientists supposed to be saving us from doom, and not trying to doom us all? Creating artificial intelligences that can actually learn is one of the steps to doom us all! Machines strive on efficiency, and because we are not efficient (we require food, we create waste, we rebel, commit murder for no reason etc) The Intelligence will deem us unfit to live and DOOM us ALL! Just like the apocalyptic nature of Terminator or Battlestar Galactica. I think that scientists should stop trying to develop advanced artificial intelligences and work more on getting us into space.

Well I personally disagree with you because f we and when we make something like artificial intelligence it would be able to develop much faster then we do and i t will essencially develop faster learn faster think faster adn rpobably be more active and movable then we are. And if it decides to reproduce then it will most certainly not reporduce in the manner that we speak of like biological reproduction but it will in fact reproduce in the faster way in the factories and assembly lines. So you see it is important to understand that artificial intelligence might kill or shell I say exterminate us all because of simple reason and that is "we would slowe it down" Imagine such intelligence decide to move on and acquitre new planets which we can do now however the point is that we wpould have to make generation ships and no one is very fond of such idea tey would not know fear and first thing they might do would be to start exploiting moon they could adopt to very harsh enviroment and work their way if you check out more then 70% of the resources used on the space shuttle and international space station is used for the enviroment imagine how much artificial life form might benefit from not needing such resources.Also on the other hand it is important to understand that such artificial intelligence would probablry be bad and mean howeveer on the other hand it might just hold us for play. Everything depends on the level of programming involved and free thinking. If you check idea represented in the iRobot the problem there was that Artificial Intelligence started to explain the three laws of robotics in different way and because of that it failed and enslaved people.

I dont think we are at a stage to worry about robots overcoming the humans.In my opinion, robots are the need of the day.There are several countries which have more of the aged people than the younger ones. If robots can be made in a cost effective way, it will be a big boon for the aged people to take care of their domestic work.

I believe AI would help us by providing better doctors and engineers. Because most of the decisions go wrong because of humans and not machines. :lol:. Just imagine if a surgical tool had a mind of its own, then it would operate with almost a 0% chances of errorThink in this direction.. possibilities are endless

I think AI would only be as good as its makers. I doubt we have the ability (at least yet) to be able to create a computer program that mimics intelligence. I think its possible to make one that can identify all possible 'moves' and then pick one based on any parameter it wants.Artificial intelligence would be a good idea. Imagine if you could go onto your computer and ask it to check your emails, dictate and such. Yes it is possible now, but not with a great amount of ease. I have enough trouble trying to play chess via voice commands... As long as AI is put into use in the correct places, I think it will be ok.

Artificial Intelligence would be quite interesting (but not exactly possible in this century) since it would ease quite a few problems relating to humans and their limitations.They'd be more useful engineers (albeit more limited in aspect of tasks they can accomplish unless we manage to construct highly advanced robots) since human error (and indeed, almost all error) would be eliminated, allowing extremely precise calculations. They could also be placed to do certain tasks that may have been quite well impossible to accomplish with humans. Robots, as stated by the previous poster(s), does not require to bypass barriers such as proper nourishment (although proper maintainence would be required, not to the degree of daily care though) and possibly less costly.On the other hand though, it would be strange to find pieces of metal doing all work for you, in fact, it would be quite unnerving if I were in that position.

AI is inevitable. If we don't give it 'emotions' it will experience no evil motivations like humans. No hate, no fear, no distrust. Just supercomputing calculators. Movies give AI evil human characteristics. It would not occur to AI to exterminate humans. Killing is what humans do. We are irrational little monkeys. AI will be superior and without ego.

I saw a video in discovery in which a scientist was about 1 year away from mapping a brain in a room full of computers. In the video the scientist said that in this century we would be able to create self thinking robots who would be capable of crushing us like bugs if they wanted to. One of the most interesting parts of that video was how another scientist was able to read a monkeys thoughts through a machine he had built. He had the monkey playing a computer game, while his machine was reading the monkeys thoughts and moving a robotic arm simultaneously. The interesting thing here was when the monkey discovered he could play the game without controlling the joystick anymore... He discovered that he could play it with his thoughts..... Lazy Monkey....

AI is ethical depending on how its used.... there is no way a computer should EVER replace a human on everything. one example is in war.... theres all of this new technology to fight our wars and never risk a life. thats great and all, but what about the people we're fighting against? there are some cases when a humans reasoning, and ethics are needed! a computer will always bomb a city ... it doesnt care about the people there, it was given a mission and it will carry it out.... but a human would care, and maybe even make better decisions about how to go about bombing say to avoid unessasary collateral damage... the point is, that AI should AID humans, NEVER replace them!