xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
KansukeKojima

Should Canada's Armed Forces Remain In Afghanistan

Should Canada's Armed Forces Remain in Afghanistan  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There as been much debate (at least in Canada) over this issue recently. It could even be the cause of an election. But what is your opinion. Should Canada remain in Afghanistan?

My opinion is really quite similar to what the Manley suggested. Canada's armed forces should remain in Afghanistan if we are given more support from our allies in NATO. The combat role that we have taken on is not necescerily the most important role, but it is one of the most dangerous and we most definately need more troops from our allies. As well, we also need helicopters that are suited to the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan. Currently our helicopters are not able to fligh hight enough, etc. to be able to succesfully move throughout some of the different areas of the country. We should stay if the Canadian government can provide us with the proper equipment for the job, including but not limited to helicopters.

However I do not really care how long we must stay in Afghanistan, whether we can leave by 2010 or 2011, or even 2020 (though I highly doubt that). If we were to leave now, it is entirely possivle that the nation of Afghanistan could completely fall apart. Its nation's forces are not strong enough to defend against the Taliban. Therefore as well as staying, Canada should remain in a combat role, while training Afghans to defend themselves. Once the country is succesfully defended then we should resume a rebuilding, etc. role. Once the country has been rebuilt and is completely stable, then we should leave...

Well, what is your opinion?
Edited by KansukeKojima (see edit history)

I have trouble believing that their Role is required or that it is actually doing any good. I also do not agree that armed conflict is required in this situation. It is a 'policing' action and will result in becoming the Canadian "Viet Nam", disgracing our Forces and the International image of Canada as a strength in the Peace Keeping role it has been so successful at. Pray tell, what would Canada as a Nation be like had the British mounted an armed force to 'cleanse' our country when we wanted the independence we received peacefully? I suggest that the Afghanistan Conflict is just us sucking up to the Americans since we failed to join the Iraq war... and a political boondoggle.Of course, I wish that all of the individuals performing their duties over there will come home in good health, but, so far, this hasn't happened. God Speed to them all.

I'm not going to lie and say that it is a subject that I know masses about, however I feel that if canada were to pull out suddenly it would be anarchy. They should be eased out slowly so to keep it the same as it can be. If they pull out ogether it could potentially ruin all their hard work and render it almost pointless. - of course thats a worse case scenario

Wow, thank you both very much for you opinions and your input. It is nice to see so far a diverseity of opinions... of course it remains to be seen if there is a trend or not... we'll find out once some others post.jlhaslip, in response to you message: Yes, Stephen harper is definately sucking up to americans. However, it may not be to the extent that the media is portraying it. (I mean come on, just watch Air Farce or Rick Mercer Report (awesome shows by the way) and every few episodes you hear something about how pathetic Stephen Harper is. Its quite entertaining though)Ultimately, it really isn't Steph Harp's choice whether or not Canada remains in afghanistan (thankfully he isn't making all the decisions...). The conservatives don't hold enough seats make the decision alone. Unless Mr. Harper can rally up some support from the NDP, or someone else, we may be in for an Election, and our Troops, will be packing their bags.Well I guess we will find out as things begin to play out.(P.S.: Kobra: thank you for posting, even though as you stated, you don't know much about it. I encourage others to at least research a little bit if they do not know much so they can post as well.)