xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
csp4.0

Problem With My External Hard Disk

I have a Sony VAIO 100GB External Hard drive that has recently been acting up. I got it from eBay about 8 months ago. Yesterday I accidentally pulled the plug on it and I accidentally used windows vista (which currently has no anti-virus program).Today when I turned on the computer it said 'Unable to write to disk, please make sure that the device is plugged in' I did the 'safely remove hardware' thing, but then the computer became really slow... So I waited and waited... for 6 minutes, then I waited long enough and pulled the plug. I tried to restart the computer with the hard drive plugged in but just after the Windows XP loading screen the computer freezes, when I remove the External Hard drive Windows XP continues and I plug it in again, I log on but the moment the log on tune plays Windows freezes, I disconnect the external hard drive and windows resumes. What's worse? Whenever windows loads and everything is ready, I plug in the external hard drive and everything becomes insanely slow, and most of the time it will not respond. I use task manager and see that disk usage is on around 5% and CPU usage is around 2% so I just don't get it... I try to close task manager but it won't respond either. The only option is to disconnect the hard drive and everything is normal again!It might be a virus (because vista (without any AV programs) was used) but this has happened before but not nearly as severe. All I needed to do was restart the computer with the external hard drive plugged in and that's it.This still happens in safe mode. I can do nothing that will help. I can't just through the disk away because it has a lot of data that I need. So please people on Xisto, please help me!

It sould likes the hd is bust. I had that to my ipod, the hardrive was 100% broken. Sorry.The computer sometimes freezes when usb devices are connected to the computer when on startup. I connected my ipod to my computer and it froze on the memory test on boot up.

hmm... looks like a good time to take it to payam hard drive repairs. But are you sure its broken? I don't want to spend AU$100 on extracting the data on it only to find that there was a problem with the drivers.It doesn't matter when I plug it in, it would make the computer insanely slow. And it would freeze windows indefinitely unless i unplug the device...I might go see what I can do on Windows Vista before I take it to payam...

Plug it into a machine running Linux. Should work fine from there and you'll be able to recover your files.-reply by James

`storage

Problem With My External Hard Disk

I have two hard disk how to store mysql data on another hard disk

-question by Trushar

I don't know if you already went out to pay someone to do this for ya, but I would go by James's route and use a distro of Linux to access the drive. A Live CD should work fine and let you access the drive to take everything off of it and back it up to another external hard drive or to your local disk. After you're done backing everything up, you can format the hard drive, scan it, and do whatever you need to do to it to get it to work.Another alternative is to try to access it from another computer, but if you think that it's infected with malware, then I wouldn't try that route.The only time I've experienced something like this was with my eSATA ExpressCard and my two external SATA hard drives. Plugging one in would be fine, but as soon as I plugged the other SATA drive in, the entire OS would hang until I unplugged the ExpressCard. (If anyone knows why, please let me know.)

I would also go with attempting to access the disk via a Linux distro, and trying to copy the data... There are always good tools in Linux to get the damaged data from harddrives... It seems to me that Vista screwed something with the HD, probably screwed FAT table, or something like it...

Had the same problem, searched the Internet and found a million people with the same problem and a million helpful people and their "solutions" to the problem, of which some did just not work, and some were downright dangerous to the health of my PC. But at last I found a solution that works, and it's simple (thank you saykomatrixx):First (of course) you check your BIOS to see that USB-devices are below (after) internal HD:s in the boot sequence, and that might be all you need to do.If that does not work, or your BIOS (like mine) does not have this option (I only had Disk drives, Hard Drives, Network drives, and Floppy drives), then here's the beauty:Find (in BIOS) the "USB Legacy Support", make sure it is set to "Enabled", and voil?, it should work like a charm to start-up with the external HD:s connected and on.I did get a small surprise during next start-up when Windows started to install drivers for my sound card, and later I had to change some settings in my sound card to get my microphone to work again, as the driver install had changed some settings there, but otherwise everything is just hunky dory.Good luck.PSI don't really know what the "USB Legacy Support" is/does (perhaps a more educated member could tell us?) but as my already was in "Auto" which is a sort of semi-on (software controlled is my guess), the difference can't be that huge from before I switched it fully on.DS

response to Problem With My External Hard Disk

no good I have the same problem with a 500GB western digital and I cannot install any os on it, killdisk can't touch it, sabayon, ubuntu, gentoo win 2000, win XP pro, vista all cannot touch it

the thing is that it worked fine till I had HD crash on my laptop and in last ditch effort I moved a bunch of corrupt data to the 500GB from laptop 150GB in safe mode then reinstalled OEM vista

then when I got all the data off the 500GB there was a little bit of rebuilding of some pictures that had to be done and some had to be forgotten

but it took 4 days to transfer a lot data off 500GB and there was only 1.20 gigs of data on it YES REALLY 4 FRICKIN DAYS!

so I try to format it anything using slackware, ubuntu, XP, vista and it just refuses to work I believe it is like a firmware crash or something the hard drive is brand new I just want my 500 GIG to work I'm so pissed 

it is brand new but I did not buy it so forget about telling me to redeem warranty

-reply by anthraxtheterrible