xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tourist

World's Longest Beach

Name : Cox's BazarLocation : BangladeshLength : 120 Km (75 mile)Cox's Bazar is known for its wide sandy beach which is also the world's longest natural sandy sea beach (120 km) including mud flats. It is located 150 km south of Chittagong (Bangladesh). Cox’s Bazar is also known by the name “Panowa”, the literal translation of which means “yellow flower”. Its other old name was “Palongkee”. Cox's Bazar owes its origins to the subcontinent's British colonial rulers, who sent Capt. Hiram Cox to settle Buddhist immigrants from nearby Burma into the area in the late 1790s.Cox's Bazar is one of the most visited tourist destination in Bangladesh.The 120 km (75 mile) unbroken stretch of beach here is the world's longest, and a chain of hills that run parallel to the sea for almost the entire length, towering cliffs, colorful, ancient pagodas and Hindu temples, make it a natural attraction.Waterfalls, a game park, coral islands and tribal villages nearby add to its charm in a country the world knows more for its poverty, floods, ferry disasters and political violence.

seventy-five miles, heh? Well, I can tell you that that isn't the longest beach in the world...90-Mile Beach in North Island of New Zealand is 90 miles so thats 15 miles longer. I'm sure that there must be longer beaches, but that is all I know of. 90-Mile beach is only 90 miles if you walk it (takes hell-of-a-long-time) but if you drive it is only 65-miles...At the end is 'Cape Reinga' the northernmost tip if New Zealand. Been there one time, and I would gladly go there again...