xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GrinningKittie

What Kinda Coke Ya'nt With That? Share your experiences of what you experienced from point A to point B

I was born in New York but raised in WA. In my late teens and early twenties I lived in the south for a short stint.Now before anyone gets the idea that I am putting any other state down, just quit. I started this thread to share the differences between places and to give others the opportunity to share the same.So I lived in Florida for awhile. One of the more confusing things to be asked was " You ain't from 'round here are ya?"No. How could you tell? "'Cause you got an accent. Don't worry. It's nothin' to be 'shamed of." Huh?? LOL!Some other things that made Florida different from my neck of the woods:Mosquito trucks that sprayed twice a week.Neighbors that had pet piglets instead of cats.Seashells used in the place of gravel.Sweating from pores I didn't even knew I owned....all by sitting in the shade waiting for a ride.Cow Killer Ants.Yellow Flies.Cicadas.Fire Ants = bad.Wood Oak Roaches could star in their own horror films.Fireflies ( ooooh pretty!)Miles and miles of flat land covered by elephant grass.Soda is soda ( or sodie) not pop. Not ever.WARM rain.REAL thunderstorms (even with lightening).Hurricanes ( Erin and Opal)Tornadoes spawned by hurricanesPiggly Wiggly markets.Armadillo roadkillNo transportationSo yeah Florida was interesting. In case you were wondering WHERE in Florida I lived it was a town called Pace ( somewhere south of Pensicola I believe).Years later I lived in Arkansas for a bit of a while. That was interesting too. My most memorable was working for Wendy's. I would ask customers what kind of drink they wanted. They always responded with "Coke" ( as in Coca Cola). So I gave them Coke. This eventually earned me a reprimand for not asking them what kind of coke they wanted. Huh? Did I mess up? Did they want a diet coke? Then why didn't they ask? I dunno. What the procedure was suppposed to be went something like this:Would you like a drink with your order?"I'd like a coke."What kind of coke?"Sprite please."Other things about Arkansas:Quaint names like GrapePossum ( or was it PossumGrape?) for townsWalMart being the "in town" place to shop"Going into town" meant going to the WalMart even if it was 40 miles away.The lovely smell of date trees in the summer evenings.Mercurial weather tempermantsTornadoes ( bad bad bad)Tornado alarm drills ( this gave me anxiety)Really clear nightsWild mud puppiesSevere flooding issuesClay for dirtNo public transportationDitches on the side of roads instead of curbsWarm temperatures in February and March.In case you are wondering I lived in a place called Kensett ( which is Searcy's back door welcome mat of sorts). Again I am not saying anything bad about any other state. I am just noting some of the things that I had to adjust to or caught me off guard.So where are you from, where did you move to and how was it different from what you were used to?

" You ain't from 'round here are ya?"

LOL, wish I had a dollar for ever time I heard that one! We moved back and forth from Illinois to Missouri, and believe me, even if they are neighbor states, they speak completely different languages. Every time we were back in Illinois I'd get that question, but then back in Missouri I can remember my speech teacher in high school telling me what a nice speaking voice I had cause I didn't have that Ozarkian twang.

Fortunatly, I haven't been back to Illinois for years now, and I think my twang is going to be permenently hillbilly now. ^_^