xisto Community
LiveHiFi

Sony Headphones Low quality?

Recently, I bought a pair of Sony MDR-G42LP Street Style Headphones and up until a day ago they have worked fine. Unfortuneatly, the right ear piece has stopped producing sound, and I am now left with a pair of clunky mono headphones. People constantly experience this issue of faulty headphones. However, by picking the slightly more expensive choice, I assumed I was getting a better value. Sony products have, in the past, left me satisfied. However, I sorely miss the $22.99 USD that I spent on these headphones, as, after mild and respectful use, I now have another pair of mono headphones to add to my collection.

Hmm that price tag looks like a mid range headphone to me. From my experience they dont last very long as the drivers or wires fail sooner then higher quality ones. Maybe you just got a very bad set sometimes that happens, If its still under warranty you should have it replaced but you didn't say when you got it.

I see your phones look like this

Posted Image

my current headphones is this one

Posted Image

I paid 179 nzl dollars for it i think but its lasted me over 3 years

before that I had one that cost about the same from Plantronics or something I cant remember it was good quality also but only lasted me 2 years.

I have brought many headphones over the years growing up and noticed a trend if I brought 50dollar pairs they always loose quality or break after a few months so i started just putting in the money into more quality ones and it does pay off. In 2 years you could spend 150 dollars on 3 headphones that break or 150 on a quality one that you can enjoy with also very good quality sound compared to cheaper version.

My Philips headphones are the best I've ever owned and although it looks silly lol as its huge i don't care because the sound quality is so good. I've had musicians come up and ask me where i got them from and ask about the sound quality. I tell them its the best I've ever had. There are even higher priced ones there there costing 300+ dollars if I ever have the cash and need a new one I may save up for one of them when my current one needs replacing.

if your using them on the go then you want to get the little one that literally pop in your ear their amazing from on the go. but if your using them for like sound engineering or just for sitting on the pc with the phillips would seem to be a better choice in my opinion but yeah sony products usally leave me satisfied aswell. Im putting my money on them just be a bad batch.

I've never really liked sony as far as audio equiptment goes. I've been meaning to get a pair of seanheisers headphones lately as I've heard good things about them but I haven't really had the chance yet. I guess i'm a bit of an audiophile so that might have something to do with me wanting decent quality sound equiptment. But if you're looking to hear the subtleties in your music, then I would probably avoid sony as I believe that they aren't of as great quality as many other brands.

I have had mixed reviews about Sony Headphones. Sometimes, I have purchased mid-line quality headphones from Sony and had them for years without any problems with perfect sound quality. Then, I have some Sony headphones which had been horrible from the date of purchase. These include major defects including Fuzzy sound, crackle and pops, or just not working at all. Personally, I would avoid the Sony brand altogether.

I used to have an awesome pair of ear buds by sony that i used with my ipod... they cost 50, but the sound quality that came out of them was amazing, and they held up really well... I have lost them now unfortunately, but there is probably a similar pair online somewhere. I have found that anything under 50 USD has always left much to be desired for me. The sound quality is never quite there and none of them are very comfortable. The ear buds i speak of didn't bother my ears or anything. Really awesome... maybe look on Apple.com as i think that they were basically being sold specifically for the ipod (even though they had a regular 1/8" headphone jack).

Sony sucks. You all know it. The lowest quality electronics production company on earth. Okay, maybe I exxagerate slightly but there are many many bad products that come from them. Playstation 1/2? All audio products? Rubbish. Headphones should be of the highest imagineable quality. They are not something you will wanna cheap out on. You want the whole sensation of listening to music. You want more quality than you can actually expirience live. If your made of gold you can buy some Ultrasone Edition 9. Of course they are 1500 dollars and noone in the world owes them I'm sure... But your best bet, from my personal opinion is that you should by some iPod earphones. They are very very expensive for just some earphones but it's impeccable value for money! They hardly break after a long while and the sound quality is immensely high. If you want a big bulky thing though for the real quality and shut out of sound. Be prepared to spend about 50 quid for it.

I don't know that much about the headphones, but a lot of people wrongly perceive sony to be the best brand on earth for everythingI've heard a lot of their divisions and markets are actually quite garbage, one example that I know about is Car Audio. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, NOBODY BUY SONY CAR AUDIO PRODUCTS (ok maybe head-decks) NO SPEAKERS OR SUBS PLZ

You didn't mention how long they lasted. I was actually thinking about buying this exact set for myself because those in ear headphones are just driving me insane. Did it only last a few months or longer, also how rough were you with them?

I actually need a new pair of headphones as well. The tops of my Apple headphones popped off, and now they don't produce sound. I just bought of Philips In-Ear headphones, but they were too big to fit in my ears, and I hated the assymetrical design. I didn't like the fact that the cord for one earpiece was much longer than the other. Apparently it is designed this way so you can put the cord around you head to prevent tangling, but it isn't the design for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like earbuds rather than the big over-the-ear ones.

I beleive that sony products are medium - high quality, most of their headphones, earbuds, etc. are worth buying if they're looked after properly and aren't thrown around, i personally just bought a pair and they worked for about a week and suddenly started making static sound, mind you i was walking in the rain from school, but all in all they are worth buying if nothing unexpected happens.

Unfortunately, you need to spend more and go higher up to get anything close to high quality. Don't think about anything lower then.... $80 or so. I've had a pair of Sennheiser PC 160's that has lasted me YEARS and still sound fantastic. I've recouped on the expensive $140 price tag as I havent needed to spend to get more 'phones, while enjoyed better sound with more comfy phones too :D

I currently use Shure SCL2 in-ear earphones, it cost me 65 bucks after some searching. The sound quality is amazing, and the cords are somewhat thick, which basically guarantees that they'll last at least 2 years, according to reviews I've read.I highly recommend these earphones.Also, the sound isolation is fantastic, if not dangerous :D

Edited by Csshih (see edit history)

As far as headphones go - Sony make really good Playstations.......I tried a Sony gamers style headset with microphone - it died within about a month and I didn't have the receipt to exchange them. I currently use 2 different sets.1. My Sennheiser noise cancelling earbuds for when I just need sound on my laptop or to listen to my MP3 player. and2. A great set of Logitech USB stereo heaphones with microphone for MSN or skype chat.My son has the same set for the desktop PC and uses them for playing Counterstrike and he swears by them.