xisto Community
odomike

Installing Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer. How to ......

If you bought a brand new computer within the past few years, you might have noticed that your computer shipped with a Serial ATA (SATA) controller instead of the convetional Enhanced IDE (EIDE) controller. The reason for this is to enhance performance and power management as SATA controllers and their supported Hard Disk Drives have a higher data transfer speed against their IDE counterparts. And they are supposed to use lesser amount of power thereby saving you more battery life in your notebook's battery or UPS as the case may be.

If you want to install and run Windows XP on your computer, their is a higher possibility that Windows XP will say no HDD detected on your mobo, whereas infact, the HDD is there and working properly. The reason is because your computer shipped with a SATA HDD controller. The unfortunate thing here is that there is nothing you can actually do about the hardware, but there is definitely something you can do about the software.

There are two options here:

1. Disable SATA from your system BIOS and install Windows XP and;

2. Sliptream your Windows XP installation and add your SATA controller driver in there, burn it as a bootable disc and install Windows XP with your SATA driver loaded and working fine.

Steps:

1. Start your computer and during Power On Self Test (POST) press F2, F10, F12 or Del as the case maybe on your hardware to enter your BIOS setup. navigate to your SATA controller config and disable it. Now that you have dont this, you should be able to install Windows XP without any hitch, but this means your computer isn't using the HDD controller in SATA mode. Rather, it is in IDE mode which is a lil slower than SATA. Most computer users out there wouldnt want to deter their computer's performance in any manner. So, if you still want to use SATA, you can download your manufacturer's SATA controller driver and then do this:

Download and save the driver installation package in a folder of your choice, but I am gonna use My Documents (C:\Users\Your Username\Documents\) for Windows Vista and (C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\) for Windows XP.

When you try to run the driver, it will say you dont have a compatible driver because you computer is in IDE mode so dont do this. Extract the driver's .exe or .zip file with Winrar. Open a command prompt Window. When you do this, you will be presented, by default, with your ducoments folder in which case mine is C:\Users\Michael\Documents. Use the CD command to navigate to the folder where your driver is kept which is: C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Driver folder. After this, I then type setup -A -P C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Driver folder\. The cabinet file carrying your SATA driver will be extracted into a folder named Driver. Now, go to Device Manager. Right click on your IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and select the SATA controller. Click on update driver. Select no dont search Microsoft website and click next. Select Advanced and then select no, do not search. Click next and goto the next page, then click on Have Disk to browse to the folder where the drivers where extracted. Select your SATA AHCI or RAID .inf file and click OK. You will recieve a warning that Windows cant verify the driver, ignore this and click on continue to install the SATA driver. You will be prompted to restart immediately after the driver has been successfully installed. Click OK to restart. Immediately goto your BIOS setup and re-enable your SATA controller native mode or your will get a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) if not enabled.

You are done. Enjoy your Windows XP.

2. Download nLite and use it to slipstream your Windows XP. It is a very easy step. All you have to do is to follow the easy instructions. Click next and click browse to select your Windows XP installation CD (which you must have inserted in your CD/DVD Drive). You will then be prompted to select a folder where your temporary files will be kept. You can select any folder of your choice, but it is better to create a separate folder for easy deletion later on. Your installation Disc will then be copied to your temp folder. After this, you will be presented with your version of XP. Click next until you get to where you see a series of buttons. Select Drivers and bootable Disc and continue until you have the insert button on the lower right side of the nLite Window. Click on it to select your dowloaded SATA controller .inf file (which in most cases will be iastor.inf or iastar.inf) and then select your particular SATA controller model (in my own case, it is Intel 82801 GBM ICH7-M), hit next to continue. You will then be prompted whether you want nLite to start the slipstreaming. Click OK and nLite will then combine your SATA controller Driver with your Windows XP installation. After that, you can go ahead and burn the New Installation Disc with nLite or your can use it to make an ISO image for later burning with another burning software like Nero or Roxio. Restart your computer and and install your Windows XP without any problems.

I hope this my little contribution will help my fellow Xisto members who encountered the same problem I encountered with the new Intel SATA controller.

A great solution.

Thank you very much. I have a DELL vostro 1510 laptop with Windows Vista pre-installed.

I've been trying to install Windows XP for a few days with no positive result. But yesterday I tried you described solution, it worked fine. And I'm thinking of creating a new Windows XP installation CD and to include all our PCs drivers' and Service Pack 3 in it. So I can format any PC in my company and install Windows on any PC without the need to install devices' drivers after windows installation.

Thank you again...

-reply by Tariq

Sata drive not visible in XP device managerInstalling Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer.Replying to odomikeI had to install new SATA drive in HP NX7300 laptop running XP Pro. Your tip regarding disabling SATA native mode in the BIOS enabled me to install XP.However, although the laptop is now booting and running XP I can't change the BIOS back to enable SATA native mode as I just get a blue screen on boot. In device manager the drive isn't displayed at all under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, so I can't update driver from Intel Matrix Storage Manager that I downloaded from HP site.Any ideas please?-reply by Chrissie

I had the blue screen after reformatting mydesktop,, ihave a wireless mouse and keyboard pluged in,, after I unplugged these and plugged the wired mouse and keyboard in worked great,, not usre if this helps or not just relayingwhat worked for me

SATA DISABLED BUT XP NOT INSTALLINGInstalling Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer.Replying to odomikeI Have followed the direction and disabled the SATA and it gave me the Blue Screen and let me format the HDD. However, it will not boot any further. Once the computer restarts it goes right to the blue screen again as if to format the HDD again. I have tried to enable the SATA setting in the BIOS and change it to IDE but that does not work. I can't find any SATA drivers for my machine. It is a Compaq Presario desktop PC SR5103WM. Any ideas on how to get XP to finish the install process?Thanks!-question by Eric Gunter

Installing Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer.Installing Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer.

I wanted to let everyone know of a way to fix the sata dvd drive slow install problem.Reboot your desktop and enter the bios. Usually the delete key at the first screen.Check advanced settings, if not there look for this setting name in each bios window as it can cause a problem.Look for large block read setting for IDE hard drive, disable it and reboot.Believe it or not, this is causing some machines to try and read blocks off of an install disk like it is a hard drive disk.As soon as I did that my lg started working like a champ.

-reply by Doodad

Ubuntu readies the hard drive for Windows 7Installing Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer.

We had the same problem: When installing Windows 7 on a new "blank" computer, Windows did not detect our Seagate 1 TB hard drive. We tried "everything", inculding downloading new drivers from Gigabyte (who produced the motherboard). We tried to disable SATA. We tried disabling half of the RAM (the machine has 4 GB, we took out one of the two chips).

What finally did the trick was downloading Ubuntu on another computer, burning it to a dvd and running it from the cd/dvd-player of the new computer. Ubuntu allows you to run it from the dvd without installing it. We then opened a Tomboy window an wrote a few words. Tomboy saves automatically to the hard drive.

We then stopped Ubuntu, booted the machine from the Windows dvd and hey presto! The drive was detected and everything worked.

I don't know why.

The advantage with this method is that Ubuntu is free. Not everybody has a copy of Windows XP laying around.

-reply by Jon Erland Madsen

since xp doesn't support SATA so follow this following tricks to install XP on a SATA enabled desktop:-1. Disable SATA from your system BIOS and install Windows XP and;2. Sliptream your Windows XP installation and add your SATA controller driver in there, burn it as a bootable disc and install Windows XP with your SATA driver loaded and working fine.This is the simple trick so that you can install xp with out any risk and tension....