xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
A200

Why Do People Hate Australias Because Of Spiders? It really bugs me when people say they hate Australia just because of

Hello all,I feel like having a rant about this, it is bugging me :D Why do people constantly get scarred away from Australia by 1) the heat and 2) spiders ? It makes no sense at all.To be honest, I would have thought that South America is worse than here- they actually have Tarantulas and other large horrible spiders over there. :o It just bugs me. I was chatting to a person on MSN today, and they were obviously completely uneducated about our country. As soon as I mentioned I live in Brisbane, Australia, he started going on all sorts of tangents, saying "How can you live there? Large tarantulas crawl all over you and eat you during the night!!!" "the spiders follow you on the street" "crocodiles roam around the suburbs, eating anyone who goes outside". :( This is all completely false!It's like saying that if you went on a street in Canada, a bear will eat you. The second thing that annoys me is when we are assumed to call everyone "g'day mate" and assume we eat meat pies all day. I assure you that I haven't eaten pie all year long, as I don't like it. To be honest, I also deteste the word "g'day" and "mate". They make me cringe as well, because misinformed journalists and book writers make it out that we are full of bogans in Holden Commodores, wearing farmer clothes, herding cattle. :D It is all these stupid sterotypes that annoy me. And most of the time, it is coming from misinformed people. And I notice nothing like this ever happens to Americans and the English. Hmmm? No I am not blaming all, but its just uneducated people who have never been here, or have had a horrible experience with a hunstman spider, that make all these insane accusations up! Well let me tell some of these people some things:> I have never seen a crocodile our in nature. The only ones I have seen are at Dreamworld or Australia Zoo.> Tarantulas are not found here. Nor are Camel Spiders.> Most of the population are not bogans> Not everyone drives a Holden Commodore> It is only hot in summer, during extremely humid days.> Kangaroos do not run around the streets. If you go outside the cities, yes, you will see them in their natural habitat.> When I go to sleep, I do not have a constant fear that a spider will be in there. Never has a spider ever hid in my bed. > Those large trapdoor and funnel web spiders you see on nature shows are only generally found in Northern Sydney! And even then, a sighting of one would probably be rare.> We do not eat bush tucker.OK OK I should stop my rant, thankyou for reading it. :(

Haha, nice rant. Don't worry, I don't think that there are billions of spiders constantly out to kill you in Australia. As for the heat, well, yeah, it might be hot in the outback, but I'm gonna assume that in Brisbane, on the coast, that the weather is generally pretty nice. I'm as uneducated as everyone else, but at least I try to think sensibly. :o

Good Post!

People definately need to learn a little more about us Aussies before they start saying stuff like that! I mean like you said, we dont even have Tarantulas! LOL!

Australia is one of the safest places, in the world! We have such a beautiful country, and beautiful people, I would never us the term, 'Unsafe' etc, to describe Australia!

All I can say to people that say those things is, 'Get your Facts Right!' :o

Sorry to inform you, dear, but stereotyping doesn't occur just from country to country. I live in the southern United States--Arkansas (unfortunately)--and even going as far northeast as Virginia I get stereotyped. Let me lay down some of the most idiotic questions that have been directed my way.1. Do you guys wear shoes down there?-Okay, I'm standing right in front of this person...WITH MY SHOES ON...and they ask me this. For the record, yes, Arkansans wear shoes, although I'm sure somewhere around the state there is someone who doesn't own a pair. We are, after all, the second poorest state in the nation.2. Doesn't everyone get married at fourteen?-I'm 20, almost 21. I have no desire to get married...ever. No, everyone does NOT get married by the time they're fourteen. Though, to be fair, I will admit that we do have a higher percentage of teen marriages, and by 'teen' I mean ages 17 to 19.3. So how many kids do you have?-I was actually fifteen when someone asked me this. I still don't have any children and don't plan to. Arkansas has an above average teen pregnancy rate, but so do most other states across the board. Let me take a moment to rub this in: CONDOMS ARE YOUR FRIENDS!...and this is the kicker...4. You're from Arkansas? Wow...and I thought I was dumb!-Yeah...I don't even think that needs a response. So, as you can see, misinformation is rampant across the world. It's annoying, but something that is inescapable as the majority of people like being uninformed.

open mind

Why Do People Hate Australias Because Of Spiders?

Well, I do understand that maybe some people haven't lived there so they haven't experienced what it's like, but I think the other perspective should also be considered. Each person grew up in different areas so they are used to whatever it is that is in their country and those who haven't lived there.. Aren't. So stereotypes are bound to happen to anyone, anywhere, not just Australians, but also to Europeans and Americans too.

I am Asian and was born in the you.S. So I'm often stereotyped as being from another country to Americans and "too white" or "white-washed" to Asians. Then there's people who stereotype against Europeans as "bad smelling." I have relatives born in Europe and when they visit, they do not smell bad. Americans are also stereotyped against as being ignorant/self centered. Although it may be true to *some* people.. I don't believe the world revolves around the you.S.

Prime example is watching the news.. Those groups who attack the you.S. Who hate Americans and think they should be brought down. They are just.. Misunderstanding.

Some other stereotypes

-Asians "hey.. How do you see through your eyes? they are so tiny"

-Americans have no respect

-"Americans are so closed minded."

-"Americans only care about money."

-Chinese fast food is real chinese food. (no.. I've tasted real chinese food before and it taste nothing like those popularized restaurants)

-Asians are smart. (no.. Not all)

-Asians don't know how to drive.

-America is the you.S. (nope.. There is South America)

-Canadians are American (nope.. Two different countries. If you call a Canadian, an American, they will likely feel insulted)

-#1 you.S. Stereo type. America is the land of gold and opportunities.. And you can live the "American dream." (dream on.. People don't realize how hard it is to live here.. Financially they may be better off staying where they are.. Houses in the half-million to million dollar range is typical, and people my generation cannot afford to raise a family. Education costs thousands and grad school a couple hundred thousand). The you.S. Is also going through recessions right now. I'm turning 24 this year and I feel I can barely survive on my own. People around my age and older are still living with their parents or depend on someone else for food, shelter, and money. When you retire in the you.S.. Expect nothing but hardships unless you got over several hundred or even million dollars in savings or hope your children can afford to help you.

Then there's the universal stereotype that all Asians are Chinese. I encountered someone from another country and even some you.S. People thinking that Vietnam/Japan is part of China. Well.. I guess in this case.. No one has taught them the geography of Asia.. And I could blame the education system. :P But I can't ask educators to cover the basis for every country in the world.

Eh.. So it happens everywhere. Don't feel so upset.. They just don't know.. So just make it clear why it isn't true, like you have done so above.. And then people will know the truth.

yeah every country has the same issue about stereotyping.Altough I'm from the Netherlands I like Autralia, I was on the way to New Zealand and made a stop in Autralie for a few days.When people hear that I'm from the Netherlands they ask:Do all dutch people smoke weed ?? (Because it is legal here doesn't mean every dutch smokes weed)You eat alot of sheese don't you ?? (Ehhm no...)There are a few more but you get the idea.But I think you shouln't pay attention to those people who are closed minded and believe everything they hear about something.

Very good point about the Netherlands. I was born there and lived there until I was ten. I moved to Australia and have lived here for the past six years. I'm sick of people thinking that everyone in holland wears those frilly dress things and hats you see on some photos, and that everyone walks around in clogs. I'm also sick of people asking why I don't have much of an accent... As if they expect me to talk like GOLDMEMBER from AUSTIN POWERS. They all seem to think I don't know how to spell things properly either. Thats the time when I turn around and say, listen, I've been in advanced English since the start of high school, I recieved a merit award in year seven because I came FIRST OUT OF THE WHOLE YEAR in English... After only being here for TWO-AND-A-HALF YEARS! Then there's those people who are simply curious and ask decent questions or ask me how to say things in Dutch, but even that annoys me. Imagine constantly being asked by someone how to say something, then, if you tell them they want to know more, I mean, okay, it's fair enough if you want to know, but please don't keep asking... And a lot of people laugh when I do say something. I guess love being able to speak a different language, but like everything else thats different to the norm, you get annoyed when people make a big fuss out of it. Also, Australia is a beautiful country, I absolutely love living here. The town I live in is full of derros, I wont deny that, but so any other parts of the country are amazing. Like every other country, there's some idiots you don't want anything to do with, but every place has it's pluses. Same as every place has its stereotypes, I wont deny that either. Just don't judge a book by its cover. Try actually reading it first, you might be amazed at the culture and linguistical differences you find. Xoxoxo. -reply by Leonie