xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kasm

Women In Islam

Before I start, I admit that I respect Islam and consider it as one of Abrahamic religions [see my post [we believe in same God:. But I don't agree on two things, that Islam is religion of peace and Islam give Women equal right.

Previously I told my opinion why Islam is not religions pf peace. [see my post at: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/54456-islam-and-peace/page-2#entry367642 and http://forums.xisto.com/topic/54830-the-christianity-is-the-religion-of-peace/ ]

Here I will discuss the status of women in Islam.

Before that I have to admit that Islam gave women in Arabia protection and many rights not avaialable to them before Islam. At least Islam stopped the habit of killing female born baby that was familiar before Islam in Arabia.

But in Islam:

1. A woman?s testimony counts half of a man?s testimony.

2. A female gets a half share of the inheritance over that of a male

3. Women can only married a Muslim person while men can married Muslim women as well as Jew and christian women [People of books]

4. Women can only marry one husband while Husband can marry 4 wives and women of entrainment and have has slaves[in time of slavery]

5. Slave-girls are sexual property for their male owners.

6. Wife could share his husband with other wives and slaves.

7. Husbands may hit their wives . The Q'uran in Sura 4:34 says:

4:34 . . . If you fear highhandedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great.

8. According to Islam's Prophet, most of hell's inhabitants are women. Islam's Prophet said,

"I looked at Paradise and found poor people forming the majority of its inhabitants; and I looked at Hell and saw that the majority of its inhabitants were women." (collections of the prophet speech Bukhari}

9. women's right to work is subject to certain conditions::

- The work should not require the woman to violate Islamic law (e.g., serving alcohol),

- The work is mindful of the woman's safety.

- The work should not affect women's commitments towards her family.

Edited by kasm (see edit history)

Islam doesn't require you to follow all those rules, You will be a perfect Muslim if you don't follow most(if not all) of them. Why fret so much?

That is why most people have a digust for Islam, just because some take it to far (Extremists), and also the fact most of the world treat women with respect while Islam still sticks with the old ways. Women are the reason men are exist, not to use be used as a baby making machine and stuff like that. That is hte problem with all men they think they are the greatest because they are stronger, and they do all the work, please men need women more then women need men. It is obvious can do a lot if not better then most men, the only thing men have is big, fat muscles that can snap a tree branch in half.

I think the reason many people have a problem with Islam isn't because of the teachings so much as the traditions and culture. Like every time there's a terrorist attack by Muslim extremists, people blame it on the religion of Islam. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the Q'uran doesn't preach violence, that's just people using religion as an excuse for violence. I know a lot of great people who are Muslims who treat women basically as equals, and I think in general the treatment of women by Muslim peoples is more of a cultural than religious thing, and that the Q'uran is just applying to the cultural norms of the places from where it originated.

I'd like to add.It's impossible to prove a rape in Islam, or prove it and then let the victim go alive out of the Court. Just like most of the Sharia laws, thanks to another law peddled by Muhammad (as written in the Hadith itself).I can provide the verses if needed.

1. A womans testimony counts half of a mans testimony.

3. Women can only married a Muslim person while men can married Muslim women as well as Jew and christian women [People of books]

4. Women can only marry one husband while Husband can marry 4 wives and women of entrainment and have has slaves[in time of slavery]

7. Husbands may hit their wives . The Q'uran in Sura 4:34 says:
8. According to Islam's Prophet, most of hell's inhabitants are women. Islam's Prophet said,

9. women's right to work is subject to certain conditions::
- The work should not require the woman to violate Islamic law (e.g., serving alcohol),
[/b]

1. Ok, just look at how much rights christian women had a few years ago

2. Same again

3. I'll agree that is a little screwed

4. Ok, I really don't see the issue with polygamy, it's only a few religions that say it is bad. And the slave thing. Ok, slaves are bad, but remember our friend the African-American? (and many more thanks to Christianity)

5. They kind of still are today, in a different way though

6. This is bad? But seriously, nothing is wrong about it. It's just Christianity saying it's wrong

7. Ok, not that good, but did you read it? If they don't obey! Trust me, that is muuuuch better of than lots of women a back when the Q'uran. In a christian household, if a women stuffed up, why not slaughter her?

8. That is just because it is written by men, it's made to make men feel bigger

9. That is a GREAT one. Why not enforce that one in the Bible? (is it in there? never read it)

I just think the media has gotten to you a little. Islam is one of the best religions in the world.

Good luck, Sam.

PS. The dedicated followers of Islam are great, great people, as are the christian ones. It's just those bastard people who cannot follow rules.

You can argue that women in Christianity are viewed as less than men as well...the issue isn't so much the Qu'ran or the Bible, but rather the way they are interpreted. While many suras in the Qu'ran seem to say that women are not equal to men, there are others that indicate positive things about them. The Qu'ran does not make maltreatment of women acceptable; it is mearly abused by certain patriarchal societies to justify their behavior.Islam is more than just a religion; it is an entire way of life. This is one of the reasons it is difficult to intergrate it into non-Islamic societies, especially ones that advocate separation of church and state. Many governments are afraid of conflicting loyalties; they feel that if a Muslim is dedicated to their religion, they may put that above their loyalty to their country. I think this is one of the reasons Islam gets such a bad rep. Because it is so traditionalist, it has been difficult for Islamic beliefs to become modernizded to the extent that some other religious beliefs and practices have, and this also creates tension. By adapting to the changes that many socities wish to see, Islam could more easily be integrated and accepted in more people's lives.

You can argue that women in Christianity are viewed as less than men as well...the issue isn't so much the Qu'ran or the Bible, but rather the way they are interpreted. While many suras in the Qu'ran seem to say that women are not equal to men, there are others that indicate positive things about them. The Qu'ran does not make maltreatment of women acceptable; it is mearly abused by certain patriarchal societies to justify their behavior.
Islam is more than just a religion; it is an entire way of life. This is one of the reasons it is difficult to intergrate it into non-Islamic societies, especially ones that advocate separation of church and state. Many governments are afraid of conflicting loyalties; they feel that if a Muslim is dedicated to their religion, they may put that above their loyalty to their country. I think this is one of the reasons Islam gets such a bad rep. Because it is so traditionalist, it has been difficult for Islamic beliefs to become modernizded to the extent that some other religious beliefs and practices have, and this also creates tension. By adapting to the changes that many socities wish to see, Islam could more easily be integrated and accepted in more people's lives.

I also very confuse since i am living in Islam country, but I am not moslem but i do respect moslem.

currently, our country is in fasting month, where moslem does not eat or drink, but what strange me is, the moslem organization acts on behalf of the government and force food seller to close their shop/stand even though they have covered the place with big cloth so people can not see inside. I just dont agree that why moslem must force others to follow them to fasting? And what happen if someone need food and cannot find anyone selling? and moreever, the organization uses violence to force people selling food to close their food stand, you can see our country news but it is in indonesian.

If they really dislike seeing people eating, whats the point of fasting, does not fasting learn to be patience, even though others are eating, the main poin of fasting is to endure so that they are not tempted, but however if they close all the food sellers, who will tempt them anyway? it jus like not learning anything. Currently indonesia has big issue over minority there, minority is pushed to follow the shariah while shariah allows many thing that is unreasonable. And more the government even support those organizations at behind, and in front they stated that that is not good, how hyprocite they are. thats why i really against this.

wow- i've heard enough! i will be converting to islam right away. taking orders ofr any sex slaves.... put your bids in here....

wow- i've heard enough! i will be converting to islam right away. taking orders ofr any sex slaves.... put your bids in here....

haha funny, not all people think right that okay,maybe for someone who is really into those kind of bad things, they try to cover everything they did with religions, so the point is who 'do' it, if he uses religions to cover, to gain control over mass, then he should be blamed, and information is needed so that everyone know how to differentiate good and bad, to uncover anything that is, such as political issue, political to victim damages, and so on. I just think that the mass should be blamed for, they follow something that they dont even understand, their desires just make them do bad things in the name of god, that is hypocrite, we should know better what is good and not good for us, and thus we need to tell others who doesnt have enough knowledge to differentiate, just tell them.

But in our country, there are lazy people too, thus they wont work just blame for the rich, they gather masses by provocating racial and religious problems, and then try to force the minority (us) to follow their shariah rule though we are not moslem, and whats more is the government is considering putting shariah in every section of life, and in Padang (one of the city in indonesia) even non Moslem should wear the jilbab for girls, the clothe that cover face, so other religions there must be suffering a lot. They keep blaming that beautiful women attracts them, so they rape her, thats why they should wear jilbab, are they stupid enough, every one knows that they are the one should be blamed that how they do fasting that much to endure this and that, and how come they still unable to endure seeing pretty woman, and if someone else pretty is that a sin?
Edited by innosia (see edit history)

Assalam u alaikum
I know it is a very good topic to have a discussion on
Let me start from the beginning
Islam comes from root word "salm" = serenity, peace
But it also means that submission of will to almighty
Therefore u can conclude that it is peace acquired by submission of will to almighty

The greeting which i have used here is assalamualaikum
which means may peace be upon you. In spite of this ppl call Islam a terrorist religion
Let me make one more thing clear, that all those who are creating terror and ruckus by claiming jihad are not muslims because they are against peace.
In fact "jihad" means "struggle" and not War.

Coming to women's rights in Islam and their position in Islam

u have quoted

1. A womans testimony counts half of a mans testimony.

let me tell u, in those days women used to live mainly at home doing household choresthey were very busy and many a times it used to happen that they would forget a few things when they were involved in their work.
It was a common notion to not take testimony of women in those days. Only then Islam gave them some credibility.
Something is better than nothing

The reason for sharing of property is for easy distributionconsider this....
family A has two sons and two daughters
family B has only two sons
family C has one son and two daughters

if one of the daughters of family A marries a son from family B then the family will get half share from A and a full share from B = nett is one and a half share
similarly if a son from family A marries a daughter from family C even then the family would get one and a half share nett.

Further in Surah Nisa is given a detailed explaination regarding the splitting of property.. But as it is complex ppl miosunderstand it(due to various clauses)

this is a common misnomer that men can marry ehlal kitaab while women can marry only muslimsIt has been mentioned in the quran that o you who believe, marry not those who are from non believers, for a momin slave is better than non believer queen even if she allows you
when a generalised statement is made then there is no question on marrying non believers

the thing you are mentioning about is poly gamy.it is classified into two
polyandry & polygeny
former implies multiple husbands and latter implies multiple wives
Consider this a lady having 4 husbands...
whom will she give the right to be the father of her child?
and when a child is born whom will the child call as father

Well Dr. Zakir Naik, a renowned personality and the authority in comparitive religion gives further answers
He says that right at birth the female is stronger and survives the under 5 agegroup well, in the youth ful agegroup males are more susceptible to death and even if you chek the stats women have a higher life span

Only in a few developing countries like india is the sex ratio unfavourable to women
in almost all developed countries the women outnumber men, added to that the male homosexual population which is more rampantly present than female.
all theseas a result make men a minority in front of women
Believe it or not in many countries many women try to defame an unmarried man just to make sure he marries them.

if you ask me for the numbers i dont have right now but you can always google it

ppl commonly quote this and they refer to a quranic verse which says they are the booty of the war and they are you slaves till you return themThe verse normally is quoted out of context.
the situation was that of a war and the booty of war is taken almost always by the winning side
this would include money, gold, property as well as humans men and women alike.

in other situations the prophet (pbuh) infact asks to release the slaves which has been mentioned not less than a hundred times in sahih bukhari.

this has been answered earlier

7. Husbands may hit their wives .

well if you pay attention to the same verse of surah Al-Nisa, it asks the men to make sure that the wives are obedient to men and if they are not even force can be used. further if they are obedient u donot have any right to act against them.
once again ppl just jump to conclusions... It is a reference towards those women who are not obedient to their husbands and the almighty.

8. According to Islam's Prophet, most of hell's inhabitants are women.

The reference here is most of inhabitants, and not all.....
this was told by the prophet to make sure the women come to the path of almighty lord and become believers.
At that time many ppl wanted to embrace islam but were unable to do so due to their wives and families...
if u get access to hadith tirmidhi, there is a quotation by hazrat Ayesha (rata), who was the wife of prophet that if men have been promised heavens in the hereafter, with streams of milk flowing underneath, hur at their service, then the women would be getting what nobody has heard seen or even thought about.

9. women's right to work is subject to certain conditions::- The work should not require the woman to violate Islamic law (e.g., serving alcohol),

dear brothers and sisters, one more thing is that it is the duty of the male to take care of his family and the duty of female to take the household activities under her.
women still work as they have been given a special capability of skillful work(which is more than men)
hence in today's era we see many women working
Tell me frankly, how many women you know who are working are not subjected to sexual harassment.
if you think the women enjoy it then i'm sorry that would be close to adultery.
even all other religions condemn adultery and have punishments similar to those in islam
regarding serving of alcohol
it has been mentioned in the old testament to abstain from anything that gives you an addiction.
so you are suppose to follow that.. right.
not just that alcohol, divination of arrows, eating the meat of swine and adultery have been condemned by almost all religious books.

Its a different issue which version of bible you read because RSV and KJV themselves have lot of contradictions.
well i have said my part of the analysis
although i'm not a person who does negative preaching by condemning other religions but try to read the Mohammed Mohsin khan translation of the QURAn. it is the closest to the quran and in an easy language.

if any more questions, you can ask
May peace, mercy and blesings of almighty allah be upon you all