xisto Community
delivi

Android

The internet tech circles have been expecting for 'GPhone' from Google since the news about Apple's iPhone was first announced. The Google guys went a different way and released a software stack or framework for mobile phones, called Android.

Andriod is a combination of operating system, user interface, and Java-based applications like e-mail client, web browser, contacts, maps, etc. Built on the Linux Kernel version 2.6 the Android is an Opersource and platform independent development. Thus a software developed on this will run on a wide variety of handsets.

The development of Andriod is supported by the Ipen Handset Alliance which comprises 34 companies - including handset manufacturers (Motorola, LG), carriers (T-Mobile, sprint), hardware companies (Intel, nVidia, Qualcomm), and software companies (eBay, Google).

Google has released the Andriod SDK for developers, and has announced $10 million as prize money for innovative applications. Phones working on Andri=oid are expected to be shipped by the end of 2008.

Learn more here https://developer.android.com/about/index.html

Well there ar e some misunderstandings with this google phone, the point of the platform is that it is platform independent but only suppliers of mobile phones that worked on it with google in its development and production will be able to use it on their mobile phones or they will habe to to use other producers hardware in order to work with this very new google platform. So in case some developers missed call from the google they are probaably too late to enter into this new race with google however I am not sure what to say is it good to allow such good platform, I expect that it is good platform since it is from google, to allow only to certain developer houses for mobile phones althouh there are mostly all developers one way or the oder smaller developing houses the ones that usually push new innovative ideas might stop working I don't know future will tell but one way or the oder. They most certainly in the next release should make it more hardware compatible.

thats pretty cool. I'd love to program something that makes life easier and is cool :o

Well you can do t already and it might be compatible with more cell phones then those that will support only android platform since android platform is combination of linux based operating system, to be more precise of unix based system, and usage of advanced Java methods and modules.

If you would write your programs in Java they would be certainly compatible with more cell phones and you would have wider reach among your targeted public, or customers.

its quite alot to learn, but I think I might try it someday :o I like that kind of stuff alot. I'm working on learning how to make Microsoft Sidebar Gadgets, but I've not the time between work and school, but I think if i can do something cool, and maybe get some technical help it would be REALLY cool!!! :-D

Well though this is offtopic now. But Microsoftćs gadget's are easy to made you are programming like in the same way that xou would program to make web site with only difference is that you should use ajax javascript and html. You dont have to know anything else everything else is easy just the way people need it. I suggest that you should start with something like rss feed or something similar. This way you would learn valuable lecture,.

I think they need to make a Google OS for PC's/Laptops. It can't be that hard for them, I mean, come on! They're Google!They could make it perfect for developing code or applications or whatever, and they could make it run all the stuff you already run on windows, like games and stuff.I wonder if they've thought of that yet, or if they'll ever start one. I can't think of why they wouldn't.

This is pretty cool stuff. Just think of everything that can be done with such a powerful framework. It's also nice to see that instead of coming up with a phone (as many people thought they would) they came out with a cross-manufacturer cross-carrier solution to make phones more open and powerful.

looks good. very good. in fact, too good to be true.

There are already the first prototypes, captured on video!
Phones with this OS will come out soon, and I hope they will be good enough to replace my Palm Treo 650

wischi

At last, a free SDK for mobile phone.The programming language is java, so it is object oriented and run on a virtual machine.It has nice integration with Eclipse IDE.I hope android can compete with other mobile SDK like symbian, and windows mobile.Anybody download the SDK and trying to make an mobile application with it?What do you think about android?