xisto Community
karlosantana

Installing Firefox With Plugins

Hi there guys,Im making a package for novice web designers, it uses firefox and plug-ins.My question is, How would i make these plugins already part of a firefox installation? I would also want the homepage to be different form the auto installed one,Anybody got any ideas? cause i am stumped! :o Please someone help i really am desperate for this! :D

What operating system are you aiming for? If this is intended for Linux, it would be easier. But if it's for Windows, you may have to recompile the entire thing or you would have to make a separate installer that installs these plug-ins after it installs Firefox.

I think you've answered that! and you just happen to be one of my favorite people on here

ya linux first then mayby windows

Okay, for Linux this will be easy.

First download Firefox for Linux from the Mozilla website. Extract its contents into an accessible folder. If you want to change the default homepage manually, edit the file browserconfig.properties. I'ma leave the making of the HTML page you want up to you. Now when you're done with that, we'll go to the manual installation of the extensions. Navigate to your account's Firefox configuration directory, should be here: ~/.mozilla/firefox. Enter any directory with this syntax, [random set of characters].default, until you see the extensions folder. Rename it to extensions~ and create a new folder named extensions. Open up Firefox and download all the extensions you want to include in your Firefox package. After doing so, copy that newly created extensions folder into the Firefox directory that you extracted after downloading Firefox. Now, in your account's Firefox configuration folder (~/.mozilla/firefox), delete the extensions folder, and remove the "~" in the other one to restore your old extensions. Zip up the Firefox directory which you have extracted, and there you go. Everything should work the way you want it.

Okay, for Windows i'm not really sure how to go about it. I guess you can make your own installer, and then make another one that runs the Firefox Windows installer and that installer that you made. Other than that, i'm not sure what to tell you.

Just a quick note, it would be very easy for mac as well. All plugins are stored in the app itself. Firefox.app>Contents>Plugins. Themes are found under Firefox.app>Contents>MacOS. And each theme has its own unique folder.

A quick note: For Windows you can use the freely available Nullsoft Install System to bundle Firefox & the extensions together. As it has a Free HIM editor & powerful script engine you can build your customized browser with ease.

Brill Thanks guys, it looks like it worked will be doing it for windows next then mac i've done it for linux, i was wondering in terminal you place:-apt-get and an installer path... how would i make it installable through that i wonder? just a thoughtI'm hoping to have it done and uploaded to my site soon, you'll love it! thanks againkarlosp.s. you'll have to excuse my typing ive broken my fingers in my right hand so its kinda difficult to type at the moment!