xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
awesomebill61

Beginning Java where to start

does anyone know of any good websites with free java tutorials for people without a lot of prior coding experience?i've read some tutorials, but every one i read starts making references to C and C++... well i don't know either of those so it gets really really confusing really really fast.ive downloaded the sdk but that is it....i know a pretty good amount of php and a tiny bit of perl but those are procedural languages so i dont know if they even helpe me at all with an OOP language like java.

One of the tier 1 programming papers I took at uni taught us java but it was using a custom application called blue j. That approach took us into learning about OOP first because thats what it java uses. So you got taught comcepts about OOP but if I was to go and try write java code now I wouldnt know where to begin as I only been taught the concepts of OOP in the book.I've only gone through 100 pages of it so far but I can see where this approach is handy because if you cannot understand how objects are created and used then it would be very hard to program in java. The syntax is very stricted unlike php so it can throw alot of errors thats where the book and blue j helped. I think most tutorials on java would expect you to know abit about OOP or even C or C++.

My advice for learning java or c++ for that matter is to go out and invest that 30 dollars or so in a good book on it. The reason is that if you just use websites, you will be constantly trying to find them and most likely not learn the language fully / in a style that is consistant with the professional ideas. Plus, the book you buy will make for a great reference later on in your programming. I have been programming in C++ and Java for over 8 years now and i still refer to the books i have used to learn the languages whether it was on my own, high school, college or in a career. They just are more tangible and easier to located code segments / descriptions of many functions.

My advice for learning java or c++ for that matter is to go out and invest that 30 dollars or so in a good book on it. The reason is that if you just use websites, you will be constantly trying to find them and most likely not learn the language fully / in a style that is consistant with the professional ideas. Plus, the book you buy will make for a great reference later on in your programming. I have been programming in C++ and Java for over 8 years now and i still refer to the books i have used to learn the languages whether it was on my own, high school, college or in a career. They just are more tangible and easier to located code segments / descriptions of many functions.

that makes sense... i also feel like a book would be easier to learn from because it has to be written to teach well enough that people will buy it.... i would hope.
so then, the question that lends itself to be next...
what is a good java book?

If you know most of the concepts of Object Oriented Programming, learning any language becomes easy.I have only used tutorials and the references they have on the Java site, and I think I'm learning it fine. I started out a long time ago (not that long, I'm only 18) doing QBasic, then I learned some C and C++, then when I went from that to Java, it was really easy. the hardest part for me was finding a good IDE, because using the command line just sucks for me. But then I found Eclipse, and it's pretty much the easiest programming experience I can remember, except, maybe, for Actionscript with Adobe Flash CS3

does anyone know of any good websites with free java tutorials for people without a lot of prior coding experience?

i've read some tutorials, but every one i read starts making references to C and C++... well i don't know either of those so it gets really really confusing really really fast.

ive downloaded the sdk but that is it....

i know a pretty good amount of php and a tiny bit of perl but those are procedural languages so i dont know if they even helpe me at all with an OOP language like java.

If you know the oops concept then you can start to learn java language easily.

The best resource for you are netbeans.org and off course sun.com, and java.net

You can use NetBeans IDE for the java development which the best one for java and its free.

:P

Get free DVD from NetBeans

Its free DVD including Netbeans IDE, tutorial and with so much other stuff.

Especially for you, its really easy to learn.

Just download latest JDK from sun.com and install Netbeans IDE.

And start to your development in java.

:P

If need further assistance then you can contact me here!

Notice from rvalkass:

You don't need to make 4 posts in a row. Use the Edit button to add to your post if there haven't been any replies since you made your post.

does anyone know of any good websites with free java tutorials for people without a lot of prior coding experience?i've read some tutorials, but every one i read starts making references to C and C++... well i don't know either of those so it gets really really confusing really really fast.
ive downloaded the sdk but that is it....
i know a pretty good amount of php and a tiny bit of perl but those are procedural languages so i dont know if they even helpe me at all with an OOP language like java.

I find that this book "Essentials of the Java Programming Language" is good for learning java.

You can read it online or download the book from this site:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index.html

Have fun!

I would actually recommend you first check out Sun's Official Java Tutorial. It helps to learn from the people who maintain the language. If anything, that and the Java API are great resources. Other than that, there is a book called Java Methods A & AB which I use in my programming course. It's aimed for high school students planning to take the Computer Programming Advanced Placement Test in the USA, but I think you'll find it useful anyway because (for the most part) it breaks down things nice and simply).