xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Theoretical Question #4 - Parallel Universes

So over the years I've thought of many strange questions related to math, science, and physics, and there are way too many and they all go way too much into depth to all be put into 1 thread so I shall make separate threads for them all when I think of them.

Wow it has been 2 months since I've posted one of these. Anyway on to my rantings err i mean thoughts...

PARALLEL UNIVERSES- Ok so the theory of an exact world such as ours has been brought up before. Many believe that it is very possible. If the universe is truly infinite (and there are infinite numbers of galaxies), then it is a fact that there is an exact world living just as we are this very minute, and there is another alex7h3pr0gr4m3r writing this thread on another Xisto.com talking about us. In fact if the universe is truly infinite, then there would be infinite alex7h3pr0gr4m3r's writing this thread. The reason for this is if there are infinite galaxies then it is truly impossible that another galaxy is not living as we are, and it would be impossible that there is another galaxy where alex decided to get up and make himself a nice bacon lettuce tomato sandwich instead of writing a post on some forums. In fact there would be infinite universes where Xisto.com didn't even exist in the first place. Wow imagine that.

So this brings me to my ultimate question for this thread....

What if the universe is really infinite, meaning that there are other galaxies living just as we are. Now let's progress millions of years into the future, and assume we still exist and have the technology to travel far enough to reach half way between our galaxy and our parallel one. And let's assume that seeing as the universe is infinite, we just happen to be in a location that mirrors the other universe, so as we travel both of our journeys are exactly the same, and we were to meet with our parallel, what would be the conversation that would ensue? We wouldn't be able to make any kind of conversation at all, because if we have truly lived the same life, we would be the same person.

Well, your implying that as I have already stated because I do firmly believe, that the universe is infinite. In fairness our versions differ from one another because I believe there is an infinite number of universes but its the same principle.Anyway. If there is an infinite number, and I mean a TRULY infinite number of universes then the chances are that there is an infinite number of us doing the exact same thing having had the past be exactly the same. But that's only saying the chances are. It is almost 100% probable but in fairness it's possible that there are none exactly like this. Think about it it would have to be infinitely specific for this to have happened. And I know what your saying and statistically it is completely intact and you are utterly correct. But there are so many, an infinite number even, of variables that it's just too hard to say. Maybe one day we'll find out.

If indeed there is a parallel universe which are infinite, my theory would be that these universes are in another dimension which we can't go to, no matter how advanced our technology is. Suppose we meet our own selves from a parallel universe, that would sort of crumble the very basis of our existence wouldn't it? So if infinite universe exists, my theory is that they exist in different planes of awareness, different from our human sense of perception of this universe.

If the universe is infinite, then there would also be an infinite number of kinds of worlds, no?

Also, there is also the multiverse theory, which states that there are multiple universes outside of our own that are exploding and crunching, etc. and only in this world would we find another Xisto or whatever it is. This would be the cosmologist's defense of nonbelief, because the cosmologist states that because there are an infinite number of universes out there, at least one, the one we live in now, should have some sort of viable life in it, according to Drake's equation.

I do not think the universe is infinite, but rather that there is an infinite number of finite universes. The closest galaxy to us (not counting the dwarf ones like the Magellanic Clouds) is the Andromeda galaxy. And it is travelling toward us. In 3.5 000 000 000 years (that's a big one, I know*)Then there are two scenarios: 1. Earth dies in the collision (Absolutely unrealistic if you consider the densities of both galaxies), 2. We are living in a new galaxy, which has 2 foci at 2 black holes that are rotating around each other and closely getting together. What will happen when they collide? Who knows. We would not be there to see it. Or, even if we would - it would be quite hard to see. You know, it's dark there :D . If we survive that, then there would be about 1-1.5 000 000 000 years left for us to live till the Sun contracts under its own weight and fades into a black dwarf. So, worst-case scenario - we have about 3.5 billion years to get out of here before we all die. Since the distance to the next galaxy is about 300 million light years, we have to go there in around 3.2 billion years as of the latest. Not that bad. But what will be there? Another life till another collision comes? That's just illogical. Looking at this I start thinking that our galaxies, our homes, are actually predators that are trying to eat each other. P. S. coming back to that infinite universe idea:one possibility that I concider "pretty" is not when the universes are packed like bubbles as the Membrane theory tries to tell us, but rather that there is one on top of the other, and Black Holes are just ladders leading in and out. Where there is a black hole in our universe - there is a quasar in the other, and anything that falls in here radiates out on that side. Please, do not ask me, what is on the very top - ther eis no very top - that's the point of universes being infinite :D Just a suggestion, nothing more. maybe, a bit too much imagination, too.______________________________* That's what she said. :o

If the universe is infinite and we assume there are an infinite number of galaxies. Since these galaxies are so far apart, we can essentially assume independence, and assume that these galaxies develop alone, and in a random manor. If there are an infinite number of galaxies developing randomly, then couldn't we assume that a portion of these infinite galaxies support life like we do. If a portion of infinity is infinity, then an infinite number of galaxies should support life. Since there are also an infinite number of these galaxies with life, we could assume that a portion of the infinite, i.e. an infinite amount of galaxies support life as complex as we do. We can also assume that an infinite number of these galaxies would have technology far greater than up, with the potential to travel around the entire universe. Even if these other life forms travel randomly, an infinite number of randomly traveling life forms should cover everywhere in the galaxy at the same time. If there truly are an infinite number of galaxies, then why have we not intersected with other life forms?

Well. I have been thinking about this too. One thing I know for sure is that with all the the galaxies and planets out there, it will be completely igorant to believe that there arent other life forms out there. There are so many planets. What makes earth so special that we have to be the only life forms around? :o

Well Galexcd you have to consider the fact that if we were to meet. Say for example you were to meet with your exact clone. Then you would think the same, do the exact same thing down to atomic movement. This means that of course having a conversation would only be two voices saying the same thing at the same time. So how to do you solve the problem? You take two decks, mix them with the other, then you split in half. Then you shuffle the two decks and draw, whoever gets the higher number, talks first. Why go through all the trouble? Because starting a conversation with someone who does the EXACT same thing as you is impossible without the use of chance. So using two decks will let someone go first. Having a conversation, you can confirm that where they came from is exactly the same as yours. Then... you turn around and go home. Why?Well what's the point in exploring a universe that is exactly the same? Plus I'd like to meet me. I'd finally find someone who I can COMPLETELY relate to XD 'Suppose we meet our own selves from a parallel universe, that would sort of crumble the very basis of our existence wouldn't it?'Elessar why do you say that?I mean sure the sense of individuality would forever be effaced XD But how bad can that be? I don't think knowing that there is an exact copy of your reality somewhere else would deter me. It would encourage me more because I know that someone else out there is doing the exact same thing I am... wouldn't want to let them down now would I? Though... that would make private moments a little less... private. And secrets would be mutual to every me out there. But those speculations always share one feature. No matter what, they wouldn't affect us, and if we did some how interact, then it would be totally awesome. Why?Well firstly, we would have the mirror problem. The first of us to meet would have to find a way to get past the fact that the other does and thinks the same things. Once the mirror barrier would be defied (through smart usage of luck/chance) then the mirror universe would no longer be mirror. Because the slightest incongruity would mean they they no longer imitate each other, and when we get back to our respective universes, we would say different things. Basically we defy the mirror and then we are set from there.The next part is mixing. Having a double world could drastically increase productivity :)Though I can see how it can be horribly negative (criminals etc.) but I'm sure we can find a way to handle such situations. As long as we avoid war, we should be able to work at double if not higher efficiency.

Your deck theory is flawed. If both of us truly are exactly the same that means both of us brought a deck shuffled in the exact same way, we would both think to use the deck to decide who talks first, we would both reshuffle the deck in the exact same way and pick the exact same card. All luck and chance doesn't become luck and chance if both universes were exactly the same, and if you think about it, if somehow the "mirror" were broken there, then they truly wouldn't be our parallel anymore. They would just be one of the infinite many that followed our timeline almost exact up to a point and diverged from there.

What i meant by the deck theory is we mix the deck. I pick mine up and bring it to Kami's (Kami is my mirror). We push until some of teh cards cave in and slip between the others. This way we have one deck that's mixed randomly with cards, then we pull apart and take any cards we can get with our fingers, and shuffle them. Basically I was hoping that mixing and shuffling can help break continuum. But that is also flawed. Why?Because when we push to mix the decks, we move and shift the same way, with the same force. Meaning no matter what our cards will be exactly aligned, neither side sliding in any way as they are faced with their counterpart in symmetry. So what is the only other solution? We use computers :)We make two computers, one of mine and one of Kami's face each other in Tic Tac Toe. The computers would go on until there was a winner. But a problem with that is that the computers would have no way of deciding who goes first. This brings me to something interesting. Say if there were two mirror universes, this means that there's a line between them that defines the others boundaries. That line is the half way mark, because at that line, if I reach over, the other side will meet me and we will be at a stale mate. This way, we would never be able to get past that line. I will go back to thinking of a way to get past that mirror-line as I now call it XD