xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
myfujiang

Your Firefox Cache Do you know where it is ?

You can access your FireFox cache files by typing this "about:cache?device=disk" into your FF URL bar

There is the cache directory will tell you the directory in which cache is stored, this is not IE and you'll not be able to browse by going to that directory, because its in encrypted form. If you want to browse your cache, you're in the page!

The about:cache?device=disk is the disk cache page! browse around in here.

This is completely different to what is temporary internet files in IE.

Use the quick find function by pressing / (forward slash) and type in keywords to go a particular element in cache, Use F3 to go to next search result .

Use Shift+F3 to go to previous result.

Posted Image

hey mate!that is really cool option you can access through firefox. there is also one more way to access your cache, and even find some downloaded movies or videos on your computer. just show your hidden files go to c:\documents and settings\application data\firefox. Of course this is not proper root, as i can't really remember proper root couse there is so many application datas and users on computer, but if you browse those folders for a while i'm sure you can find it!

hey mate!that is really cool option you can access through firefox. there is also one more way to access your cache, and even find some downloaded movies or videos on your computer. just show your hidden files go to c:\documents and settings\application data\firefox. Of course this is not proper root, as i can't really remember proper root couse there is so many application datas and users on computer, but if you browse those folders for a while i'm sure you can find it!

really want something different? i used drive D:// as my cache.., :o
Specify where to store the cache. To specify in which folder the cache is stored, use about:config to add the String preference browser.cache.disk.parent_directory, and set the value to D:\firefox_cache.

Wow never really known this before, i knew there was a way of viewing it but never knew how.And interesting to read your advice demank. Well its right when they say you learn something new every day

FirefoxYour Firefox Cache

I found the cache in this directory:

C:Users<user_name>AppDataLocalMozillaFirefoxProfiles

Here you can find a ton of random folders in which FF keeps the cache! For example I found the movies I wanted in this subdirectory "5f3rc7o6.Default"

BTW: The files are not actually encrypted but they do have funny names! For movies look for big files (over 2 Megs or something) and change the name with the appropriate extension (FLV in most cases)

/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley2.Gif

-reply by philips14c

ACDsee 5.0 will show image files and some flash files as well. Just as (G)philips says, change the larger files to .Flv or even .Vid and then do an "open with" using GOM player and it will play them (VLC does not).  In later versions you have to enable: "try to decode files of unknown extensions".

To find the folder: Type "about:cache" in the Firefox menu bar and look under the "Disk cache device" (see example below running Ubuntu).

Ubuntu sees the files out of the box:

Disk cache device

Number of entries: 537
Maximum storage size: 50000 KiB
Storage in use: 14684 KiB
Cache Directory: /home/ubuntu/.Mozilla/firefox/6zeacgqj.Default/Cache

-reply by NoExpert