xisto Community
ironchicken

What Editor Do You Use To Code Php Tell us...

Dreamweaver because I'm used to the syntax highlighting. It works good for commenting /* , //. Dreamweaver dosent have bracket highlighting too so it can be hard to find nested brackets if there are many.I've treid komodo but it dosent pickup // comments as one line and ends up greying out all below. Abit bulky too for my liking but I've only tired it out on PHP scripts.BBedit is pretty nice and quick. seems to have good syntax highlighting for php but no support for expanding and collasping brackets.Operating system is Mac OS X.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

I'm also using notepad to write code, but when on linux i just use kedit. operating system is both linux on one computer and windows on another. i'm starting to get into linux, but i need some programs on windows so that's why i'm using two computers.

the best editor you can get IMHO is PHPDesigner (Google it) and its free for personal use (which is why i use it)It has syntax highlighting and copes very well with comments of both kinds. It also has hints when coding eg typing "mysql_connect()" brings up a tooltip above telling you what data it needs (host, username and password) It also autocompletes statements by adding the ending brackets and when you enter a quote (either single or double) it automatically adds the second, closing, quote for you do you dont forget. It has these functions for many languages including C, CSS, HTML, Python etc.. and also a plain text editing function with no highlighting etc... and the ability to customize the highlighting.Its perfect in every way really and it also includes a browser (based on IE i suspect) that you can use to view HTML files while creating them, it also works with PHP files providing you have set up a local server and configured the program to work with it.I use windows XP and this program works fine on this and Vista. Im not sure about Nix systems but check the website. Same goes for Mac

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

Notepad all the way. Its simple, text editing, and that is all there is to it. One major advantage to using notepad (I've found) my coding skills have definately increased, I understand how things work, much better now. But I'd have to say that the best part is: it does not take 30-seconds to open... if anything it takes less than one second to load....I do have dreamweaver, but all that I really use it for is spell-checking :) I use notepad for all my coding indcluding: html, php, and css.Also, I am using Windows XP

Edited by KansukeKojima (see edit history)

I am using Ms Word as editor. Some times I use note pad and word pad also.Basically even DOS can be used as editor with proper extention to the file name.No problem at all.And I am using windows XP professional.But even dos is ok to code the php language.

I use notpade, but I've heard dreamweaver was supposed to be good and I thought about giving it ago until I heard what Shadowx said.

the best editor you can get IMHO is PHPDesigner (Google it) and its free for personal use (which is why i use it)
It has syntax highlighting and copes very well with comments of both kinds. It also has hints when coding eg typing "mysql_connect()" brings up a tooltip above telling you what data it needs (host, username and password) It also autocompletes statements by adding the ending brackets and when you enter a quote (either single or double) it automatically adds the second, closing, quote for you do you dont forget.

It has these functions for many languages including C, CSS, HTML, Python etc.. and also a plain text editing function with no highlighting etc... and the ability to customize the highlighting.

Its perfect in every way really and it also includes a browser (based on IE i suspect) that you can use to view HTML files while creating them, it also works with PHP files providing you have set up a local server and configured the program to work with it.

I use windows XP and this program works fine on this and Vista. Im not sure about Nix systems but check the website. Same goes for Mac

I think I'm going to give it a try and see if I like it, it really sounds great. I've found the most annoying part of notepad is that it doesn't indent inside brackets (something I'm used to from my C++ compiler) so i'll give that app a try and check it out.

I normally use Dreamweaver for this, but for quick edits I use Notepad++.Not only does it have syntax highlighting, it also loads a lot faster than dreamweaver. Though dreamweaver does have a lot nicer user interface and is a lot easier to code with.

I personally use Geany. It's a lightweight IDE—very lightweight, it opens quick! It has many of the features that have been mentioned in this topic for other programs. You can find out some of its features in this article: Perfect Programming IDE. The main feature i like about it, though, is how when you're typing out a PHP function, it pops out what they call a "call tip" informing you about what parameters the function takes. This is helpful, as i don't need to constantly have to look at the PHP manual when i forget about a certain function. Geany also supports over 30 different filetypes. Geany is also open-source, and can be installed in basically any operating system. Also, if you know how to edit its configuration, you can create custom statement or loop auto-completions for certain filetypes. For example, let's say i'm typing out a PHP if statement, i just type out the word "if" and then hit the tab key, it then fills out the rest of the statement (parentheses, curly brackets, etc). It also has a scribble area at the bottom where you can leave yourself some project notes.

I just use notepad for coding everything, but I don't code very much php and the most difficult thing I have used is a simple 'if page ="games" echo "whatever"'I'm not the best at coding.

obviously dreamweaver is good (the reason being its expensive) but i use PHPdesigner like a lot of other people. The free version is quite limited but good enough. If you want something for very commpleting long php files, then the proversion of PHPDesigner or dreamweaver is what i would go for!ThanksAlen

I use Notepad++ because of its high language compatibility with syntax highlighting, line numbers, and it is free. I use it to code HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, Perl, and basically all of my other languages I program in. I will use Notepad maybe for like really simple applications.