xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sallu

Push-ups Tips needed

Hi guys,I have physical education practical exam in a week. The exam will include push-ups. The minimum requirement is 20. I never practised it in my life. Anyone has any quick tips on how to prepare myself in a week. I will be thankful if you share it.Khan

7 days, 20 push-ups?well, if you have never practised in your life than you are in a deep #%$#..plan and program which i m using(only when i don`t practice more than a few weeks) is 4 times a week, an hour work out.. if you really want to reach the magical 20, you ll have to make yourself forget about the pain and keep on..try doing at least 10 push-ups first day, and repeating that in 2 series.. so you ll make 20 pushups in one day.. timeout between series should be 2 minutes.. so you make 10 pushups, take a 2 minutes break, and force yourself up to the 10 pshups again.. it`s gonna be painful, but it depends on you how important is for you to pass that exam..day by day, keep adding 2 extra pushups..i cant guarantee you success since you never practised in your life, but it`s worth of trying..cheers

Yeah just practice each day in sets like the guy above said and try to increase the number of reps each day, I personally do 30 push-ups during my work out; 10 normal push ups, 10 wide arm push ups and 10 diamond hand push ups. Also believing you can do it mentally can go a long way.Good luck with the exam Sallu.

Well, how many can you do now? That's probably a good indicator of how much work you need to put into it. If you can already do at least 10, you may be able to work up to 20 (it will most likely be hard, but possible). If you have trouble with 10, well, I wish you the best of luck.

You could do sets of them, with a set amount of push-ups. Or, if you really want to improve, you do as many as you can each time. Whenever you have time during the day(If you don't, then before you goto bed and/or wakup, its up to you), do as many press-ups as you can, push yourself to your absolute limit. Twenty will be simple in no time.

Unless your body works miracles, you're pretty screwed.Follow the advice of increasing a rep occasionally, and of course push your limits. The problem with that approach is that you achieve muscle failure, which is good in increasing the amount of reps you will be able to do, but also leave you very sore the next day.And muscle failure doesn't mean when you decide to give up. Muscle failure is when you PHYSICALLY cannot get up. :) Good luck.

if you cant do 20 pushups without any prior excercise. you are in terrible shape. my fat brother weighs like 140 at 5"2 he can do 20 pushups.in my gym class i did 42 pushups in a min, and im not in great shape. sry to pick but, just 20 pushups isnt alot.

No offense Typomage, but you're just plain wrong. People can be in great shape and not be able to do 20 push-ups. I've known a few long-distance runners that placed at state (high-school) competitions and had trouble with 20 push-ups. It's a matter of what you're body has been trained to do, on purpose or not. Some people are just naturally more suited to different tasks, for various reasons.

The problem with that approach is that you achieve muscle failure, which is good in increasing the amount of reps you will be able to do, but also leave you very sore the next day.

From experience, thats right. And that is what I meant. But, it's only a bit of muscle pain, nothing you'll die from. I figure this will bring maximum improvement. Besides, if you do not feel muscle pain you are not really improving that much. It's to have it because you know you are improving.

20 push ups isnt a Heap, but it may be difficult seeing as you havnt built up. I suggest you do a few run throughs, and then just try your guts out on the actually day. Its the mental state you need to concentrate on seeing as pysically your kinda stuffed. LOL. Just keep your mind in the 'I can do it' state. And really push your hardest. If repeating I can do it, doesnt work thnk about the punishment afterwards given by your teacher, and fellow students... that alone should make you do it :) Good Luck, hope it goes well :)

push ups

Push-ups

I am 47 years old and I bought push up pro, how many times a week do I need do this, how many set in a day and how many reps, I am in good shape for my age, hope to here from you thanks for your support,

-reply by louis berti

Pushups

Push-ups

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

I would do a failure set of normal pushups (no handle), fail set normal (handle) then drop to girl mode (knees,not flat but stomach and back angled up) and fail that out every other day in addition to ab work,cardio,whatever weight regiment you are on. Be sure to either eat dead animal or a protein shake within 30 minutes. Buying boiled frozen shrimp is a quick (run warm water!) and tasty way to get some meat.

-reply by KOpl

pushupsPush-ups

The best way to improve on your push-ups is to start out doing as many as you can without over-stressing your body. When your arms/muscles give out, stop. Rest 3, or 4 minutes , breathe deeply a few times and then do another set.  If the set is 10 pushups, do the set and once again rest,  breathe deeply and do a third set.  After the fourth day of doing this routine, add a pushup to the sets.  Do 11 pushups per set, for 3 days and and then add another pushup to the sets/routine.   After a  few months you will be doing 75 pushups with ease. You need to rest your body at least one day a week,  to allow your muscles to recover fully.

I'm a former military man.  I walk by the river every morning,  drop down and do 75 pushups.  I get up breathe deeply 4 times, drop and do 85 pushups.  On the third set I do 100 pushups. I also found I get stronger fast, if I use a bench and do pushups off the floor while my feet/toes are upon the bench.  This places a lot of pressure/weight on your shoulders and upper chest.  Make sure you allow your body/chest to go almost to where it touches the floor and then push upwards. Until your arms are straight.

Pushups will keep you in shape because pushups place work on the entire body.

-reply by R. D. Moore