xisto Community
Watermonkey

Snowfall Totals This Year So Far How much snow have you had and how much is still standing?

I thought this would be a fun thread to track all the snow in the various backyards around the northern hemisphere. Sorry for you tropics and southern folk, re-visit this thread in about six months and add your snow totals too if it's summer where you're at.I live between Spokane and the Canadian border in the western Rocky Mountain foothills. The standing total right now is 17 inches and according to the Spokane weather report, they've seen 40 inches so far this year. I think you can add about 10 for me because I'm in the mountains and a bit higher in altitude. What kind of snow totals do you have around the world and America/Canada?

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Well, I'm not sure how much snow we've gotten over here total this year, but there's not any left right now. It's snowed a couple times over here in Bellevue (next to Seattle, WA) and we've probably gotten a few inches total. Where I like to go snowboarding at Steven's Pass has about 100" of snowfall at the base this year though.

Well, I just read the Stats for the Local Ski hill, and they advertise that they get 100" at the Base annually, but they don't seem to have the Year-to-date information posted.We got 23" in 24 hours one day last month, but a rain came the following day and shrunk it down to about 8 inches overnight, so how do I measure that? As 24" or as 8"?I'm pretty sure that if I was to get off my couch and go plant a stick randomly in the middle of the yard, I would have a couple of feet out there, no problem. Annual accumulated snow would be around 48 inches so far this season. The snowbank beside the driveway is around 1.2 meters (4 ft). If I can get a pix, I will post it here...

We have been iced down a couple times now, almost blown away by tornado's, but virtually no snow so far. One little light dusting that melted almost immediatly. Which of course is fine by me.

Jim, I think you take all the snow that's fallen for your total snow fall stat. Then you stick your arm (or an actual measuring device :) ) through the snow on the ground now to give your total standing total. I think we're in for new snow in a couple days which will add to what's on the ground right now. So, I'm pretty sure our total is around 50 inches so far this year, but there's only 17 inches standing right at the moment. My ATV snow plow has aided me in building stacks of snow at least a meter tall, probably more. The wind has blown most of the snow out of the trees, so it doesn't look as pretty as it does sometimes.

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Well I live in Australia, in a region were there is never snow, so ever if I came back in 6 months there wouldn't be snow. LOLWe did have alot of Hail one year, infactit covered the entier front lawn and there was mountains of white everywhere... but thats the closest we've gotten to snow. Im some regionas far East of where I am, theres snow ... but quiet alot of it is 'Man Made' for skiing .. still theres 'SOME'

Edited by Evolke (see edit history)

The final tally is in (barring a freak snowstorm during this wild, cool spring) and it's the second snowiest winter on record in Spokane, WA with a total of around 96 inches. I believe we probably had a foot more then they did here, but I don't have a weather station to measure it with, so I can only guess. This spring has been so wet it reminds one of the maritime regions like Vancouver, B.C. or northern Oregon Coastal areas. Green, ferns, giant Red Woods, Cedars, overflowing river banks and full creek beds, I guess we've pretty much got it all except for the giant trees (Wood industry took most all of them long ago). My garden hop plants are absolutely loving the weather, the largest one is about four feet up the fence already. I planted four watermelon plants two days ago and they've already recovered from the transplanting and resumed their growth. Our garlic is over a foot tall and the potatoes are starting to pop out of the soil now too. I foresee a bountiful harvest in a few short months...

Where I live I say we had about 50-60 inches worth of snow maybe more since I didn't really measure it or anything, although it was a few inches over my head when the snow plows came in. However, Wisconsin though, man! 100+ inches of snow that is insane, but now it is all gone now YAH!!. Should be a interesting winter this year and see if another Ice Age comes :D.

does anyone know what snowfall totals for every state were last year?Snowfall Totals This Year So Far

I've invented a gadget that will revolutionize the way people drive in snowy conditions, albeit it aint perfect, but I can't seem to find the numbers I need to create my presentation. I'm not very computer literate, nor do I have much of an education...So any help would be appreciated 

does anyone know what snowfall totals for every state were last year?

Snowfall Totals This Year So Far

<p>I've invented a gadget that will revolutionize the way people drive in snowy conditions, albeit it aint perfect, but I can't seem to find the numbers I need to create my presentation. I'm not very computer literate, nor do I have much of an education...So any help would be appreciated </p>

Well you can find the totals at one of to place. your local weather service home page. natinal weather service

or climate predection center that should help you.

As for us here in easter new jersey in the winter of 07/08 we had just 1 inch of snow here and maybe that in ice. very little compaired to what we norally have. this year we have had a total so far of maybe 3 inches, but mainly has been a mix of rain sleet or snow. really have not had a good snowfall as of yet

I found out recently that I live in the state in the U.S. that has the location of the most snowfall in the lower 48: over 95 FEET of snow on average per year. It was a record-breaker this year in Spokane, over 10 feet. Good times... if you're in to that sort of thing...

I live in Beckley, WV and we have 105" of snow so far this year. I havent seen my yard or road since before x-mas. 

-reply by Mountaineer