xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vanilla_rent

Poetry Of An Aspiring Writer some poetry to share with you all

hey all- I just joined- I'm steph and.. I'm a high school junior, to start off with, I guess. To begin, I thought I'd post a poem- it hasn't actually been edited, it was simply written on the moment and set aside, and criticism is very welcome. ...As I only write in random time, I don't actually ever get feedback as no one ever sees them- so any thoughts at all are welcome. ...I'm posting an unedited poem I wrote and then set aside, unchanged, for this reason(Untitled)I wish I was alive todayto see the sands and fates of a passing agethe memories you hold in your handare like star dust...even pixie fanskiss your remembrance on meI watched a flower wilt and dieand how it was beautiful in all the momentscan you tell me the meaning of life?can you twist up the earth in all your quicksand?because maybe there is importanceI've not hadmaybe the twilight will show and I'll kiss the moon from my envelopeI will spread my life acrossall of these fieldsacross the countryside of plaster and dreamsIf you are paris perhapsI am brazilour world is so vast and miniature...an oxymoron where people believethey aren't actually lostand how we chase withouteven agreeing on sidesnot until the opening criesof a shocked lover lamentingsome demisekiss the world with all your lifedon't hide when the monsters are made...we all fear it allwe are masking for the dayof our disguiseand will it come someday?or maybe we're so paranoid of our own selvesand we actually bring it every dayif nothing else I see myself alivenot the dining deadAnd you are not some zombie bride...so maybe we should all just let ourelevator take us for a ride....If you are lost in my continentdon't mistake it for a search for your pridenone of us have anything to hideI'm just sitting here waiting for your time...yes I'm sitting here waiting for your timein this world it's love we havenot cellophane melted on our mysterious eyes.---

Steph, based on what I read, you definately have a lot of poetic potential. Your utilization of imagery is fantastic, and you have a keen ability to construct some very elaborate metaphors. Keep with it!On a side note, you stated that you were a high school junior...any thoughts as to where you would like to go to school? I don't know if creative writing is your foremost passion or it is just something you like to do in your free time, but I think you ought to pursue it, either as a major or a minor. I was planning on doing a minor in it myself (I'm a high school senior, just a step ahead of you!) along with my prospective major in architecture...we'll see how that turns out, haha.

first off, thanks the feedback and the great comments! secondly, your college plans are absolutely awesome... when I was a lot younger I always wanted to be an architect, but I'm your average bad-at-math kid- pulling in your average B- in analysis. As for myself... writing has always come naturally to me, but I wasn't actually inspired to like it until my english teacher of last year and currently this year- and now, three other teachers of the english department as well. slowly since the beginning of sophmore year I've been getting more and more into my writing and I am actually planning on a creative writing major- I wouldn't imagine what else I could do, haha. I'm currently looking at Columbia College Chicago, Emerson, the Pratt Institute, and University of Montana Missoula. And yourself?Writing, for me... it's become something I've fallen so much in love with. I got into theatre last year and realized I'm such a huge theatre kid. From there my life has expanded insanely- into amazing hang out friends, speech, improv, etc etc... the reason I say this is because it is half of the reason I'm a writer- and why I love the creative writing major- because for once in your life, what happens in your actual life actually matters when you walk into class or when you sit down and write... It's what makes it so amazing for people like me- who could do lots of things, and lots of careers, but... don't want to. haha. I mean, if I had an english major and went on to become an editor... I'd be so amazingly bored out of my mind of the 9-5 office world I wouldn't know what to do. I'd be interested to see some of your writing, you knew exactly where I was coming from

Sounds like you've got some awesome plans...Writing is something that has come naturally for myself, as well. I love it...and it kills me to be in the English class I'm in now, which revolves around spitting out cookie-cutter essays to appease the standards set by your evaluators. I feel like it's unhealthy for me...hahaI'm looking at a bunch of different schools right now, and the Pratt Institute is actually one of them! Their archtitecture program is very highly regarded, and from what I understand, they've got a nice following in the creative writing department as well. Another plus is that it's relatively close to home for me (not to mention the fact that it's in the greatest city in the world!). The other schools I have applied to are Bucknell, Lehigh, Syracuse, Roger Williams, the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon, Cooper Union, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. A lot of engineering schools, but most of them have some liberal arts-based programs, as well. If you've read Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, I wrote a creative piece that adds on to the original ending of the novel. It's a bit lengthy, but I can e-mail it to you if ya want, haha.