xisto Community
KansukeKojima

Html Bdo...

Description

I find that it is often difficult to write a sentence backwards, but thanks to HTML, I can now complete this task in only a few seconds. Now the only problem is it is very difficult to read...

Try It Out

Welcome to one of the most useless functions of HTML. The tags enable you to write a sentence backwards. The code is quite simple.

<bdo dir="rtl">I find that it is often difficult to write a sentence backwards, but thanks to HTML, I can now complete this task in only a few seconds. Now the only problem is it is very difficult to read...</bdo>

Well there you go. The only thing you may forget is that you need the dir="rtl" part of the tag. Otherwise, your browser won't know which way to output the text. By the way, there are only two directions I am aware of: rtl (right to left, backwards), and ltr (left to right, normal). I'm not sure if you'll have any real use for it, but its fairly cool anyways.

Some languages use a Right to Left for their characters. Hebrew is an example, but I am sure there are others.Usually, the language will also require a character set other than the one you might normally use. UTF-8 is a character set which handles many of the internationalizations. Check it out.

What is this useful for exactly? I see no purpose for this.

Did I ever say it was useful... it's just kind of cool, but useles...

That's pretty sweet. That's pretty weird that they had to come up with a tag like that, though. If I ever really needed to do something like that, I probably just would have made a script or something, though. I think there are at least a couple useless tags that could be replaced just because of css and javascript.

It is not useless if you write a site that has multiple languages of it. If you are targeting a hewbrew audience like have a religious document on your site in hewbrew or for any other reason, you would use this to display hewbrew text in the correct order / make sure that it is correct to their standards. Just because your language is ltr does not mean all are. Therefore, when critquing a language, you need to make sure you look at all possibilities since html is not only meant for western users.

yeah I learnt about this awhile ago. I figure the only thing it would be good for would be annoying hacker stuff, or fake satanic website, or CHEAT CODES :o

Ahh, yes, other languages would be a good cause for that, makes sense... Kind of forgot about that one a little bit...As far as english is concerned, it's basically useless...

If you know how to manipulate this, you could probably get the scroll bar on the left side of the browser while maintaining the left-to-right direction of the text. That would be somewhat interesting.

If you know how to manipulate this, you could probably get the scroll bar on the left side of the browser while maintaining the left-to-right direction of the text. That would be somewhat interesting.

Hmmm... Sounds interesting... Unfortuneately, I've got no clue how to do it...

Hmmm... Sounds interesting... Unfortuneately, I've got no clue how to do it...

You can probably pull it off like this:
body {direction: rtl;}body * {direction: ltr !important;}
I remember running into a website like over, i think, 4 years ago that had the scrollbar on the left side. Took me a while to figure out what attribute they used and where. Also, i'm not quite sure if this CSS will work in all browsers, if any; i haven't tested it out in any.

Nice little trick. While it may not be really usefull, it certainly looks like fun.