xisto Community
varalu

Linux Kernel Problem

Hi members of Xisto,

I have a problem in the server that breaks my head for the past few days...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Here is the problem

Operating System: CentOS 5.0 kernel 2.6.18-8

Problem: journal commit I/O error

Why this occurs: when we do some read write operations in our server, without any reason the entire file system goes to read only mode and all our future write operations fail.. and it spits journal commit I/O error

Please explain as to why this error occurs and what can be done to resolve this issue.

Has there been undetected reboots of the server. The cause might be the failing File System. Red Hat versions are known to have this problem & as CENT OS is based on Red Hat the issue is there. Though it has been fixed in the latest release. Try booting from the recovery CD.

Has there been undetected reboots of the server. The cause might be the failing File System. Red Hat versions are known to have this problem & as CENT OS is based on Red Hat the issue is there. Though it has been fixed in the latest release. Try booting from the recovery CD.

Yes... there were some undetected reboots sometime back. We also updated the kernel sometime back and have not faced the issue recently. But we are gathering solutions to apply so that we wont get lost in some critical situations when we need the server up...

Are there people who face the same problem with the server and solved it?
If so.. please let us know what you did. Might help us a lot.