xisto Community
anachro

Firefox Is ? To Ie's Msie

What is firefox's abbreviation? like how Internet Explorer is MSIE; I can't find it anywhere and I can get it from using PHP to try and find it.

When I run php_info on my localhost, the HTTP_USER_AGENT is listed as :

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11

for the Firefox 2 version 11 that I use.I think the most important part is the "Mozilla/5.0" to identify a Firefox/Mozilla/Gecko-based browser.

stardan.. you got a point.. but you cant forgot about Add-ons, I realy cant imaginate how can some one use a browser withou noScript, it is just everything.. stop java popups and give you script protection.. IE just run ever script he finds xD

Edited by holetz (see edit history)

Firefox, if you're just talking or writing about it, is usually abbreviated to FF.

Of course, that is no good if you want to detect it using PHP or another scripting language. For me, the user agent appears as:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.11 (Linux Mint)

If you specifically want Firefox, then the word "Firefox" is a pretty big clue :) As jlhaslip has said, "Mozilla" can be used to detect any sort of Mozilla-based browser.