xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chelcy

Starting PHP for PHP newbies...

I'm just starting to use PHP, and I'm reading the tutorials from w3schools. It said something about downloading PHP, then MySQL, then Apache. I'm just wondering if you really need to get those, and if so, what are the files you're going to download. Because there's just so much files! I'm confused... B)

Can you please add good PHP learning sites as well? Thanks! :P

(Edit: Oh no...I can't change the topic name! It's supposed to be Starting PHP and not staring... :D )

[edit: title changed. -s]

Edited by Sauron (see edit history)

hey ..dont bother yerself downloading PHP my SQL and apache etc seperately ..just download easyPHP heres the link...

EasyPHP

You don't need to setup PHP wid apache and mySQL. the only thing you have to do is run the installer and follow the instructions ..that wiill be easy way to tets your php scripting works. B) ..

And I recommend hotscripts tutorial for you ...the link is

HOT SCRIPTS..

cheers!!

What's xampp? Does it also install PHP and all those fully? easyPHP sounds pretty easy already. And if you use xampp or easyPHP to install, does it make any difference?

let me tell you thatt php as a language is incredibly easy once you get the basic hang of it...plus there are so many guys proficient ion this language ready to help you. Nevertheless, the hardest part about php is installing and configuring the php language on your local server iis, apache, or whateva', then if that was easy, try using it with a database like....mysql....:P then make a topic about easy php B)

XAMPP is a pre-configured Apache web server package that comes with PHP, MySQL, Perl, SSL, and a few other features (FTP and SMTP server etc). I prefer to obtain all the files individually from their official releases and configure them as I need them, but packages such as XAMPP suit some people who don't know what they're doing or just couldn't be bothered manually setting everything up.

there are alot of php and apache packages out there for everyone to use, i could recomoend one for you but it just comes with alot of stuff you probable wont need . so i tried easy php and yeah it looks easy but the damn thing drove me nuts some bits of it werent even in english . well quite honestly i found it really pathetic(sorry folds ;) ) well configuring your apache server with php is the easiest thing one could ever do its jus plain simple should be trouble at all , you jus follow some easy steps add handlers and blah blah blah and your done, but cgi and perl thats a really different hard story.

So my advice jus install apache and configure php manually. ***and as for the tutorialls i just stick to w3schoools im actually doing the php tutorial there and sound okay, you might also wanna try http://www.wired.com/

they got some tutorials although the php one was just mega hard to follow... wel ur choice. :P ************