xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
abhisekjana

Rich Internet Application - Who Is Going To Win The Race?

Last couple of months we can see the competition between 3 major Companies Adobe, Sun and Microsoft. Everyone wants to win the race. They introduced 3 products to develop RIA (Rich Internet Application).Flex - Adobe.Silverlight - MicrosoftJavaFX - SunFlex is already in Production, they have released Flex 3.0 beta.Flex SDK is open source and Blaze Data Services (part of Flex needed for Server side Programming) is open source.but Flex IDE and LifeCycle (Super Set of BlazeDS) is not free.Silverlight and JavaFX is still under alpha release.I believe these three technologies will create a very big impact on the current technologies we are using JSP,JSF,AJAX,PHP,ASP.Let me know your opinion on "Who is going to win the race?"

Yeah the question is which one are you going to learn? I dont want to learn on then find out its not as good as the other :). You know what I mean it takes a while to learn how to use something very well. I dont know what I like atm I'm looking in to them now.

edit:
Just looking at adobes flex examples i'm impressed. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
It looks like its integrated with flash? because when you right click on it it gives you the flash 9 player settings.

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/
microsofts silverlight demos look crap imo. I also got errors too and it seems to require MS dev suites to build, sounds like alot of money and also you need the highest price suite to get all features /yuk.

Flexible Programming Model with Collaboration Tools    * Based on the Microsoft .NET Framework, Silverlight enables developers and designers to easily use existing skills and tools to deliver media experiences and rich interactive applications for the Web.    * Simple integration with existing Web technologies and assets means Silverlight works with any back-end Web environment or technology. No "rip and replace" required. Silverlight integrates with your existing infrastructure and applications, including Apache, PHP, as well as JavaScript and XHTML on the client.    * Choice of development languages including JavaScript, Ruby, Python, C#, Visual Basic .NET, and more.    * Role-specific tools for both designers and developers that take advantage of Web standards and the breadth of the Microsoft .NETconnected software features.    * For designers: Microsoft Expression Studio for creating interactive user interfaces and media rich experiences, preparing media for encoding and distribution, and creating World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards-compliant sites using modern XHTML, XML, XSLT, CSS, and ASP.NET.    * For developers: Microsoft Visual Studio for developing client and server code with full Microsoft IntelliSense, powerful cross-platform debugging, rich language support, and more.    * Consistent presentation model by using XAML, the declarative presentation language used in Windows Vistabased applications. Controls, visual designs, media, and other elements can be presented with full design fidelity in both Silverlight and Windowsbased applications.    * Extensible control model makes it easy to add rich content and behaviors while enabling efficient code-reuse and sharing.    * Dramatically improved performance for AJAXenabled Web sites with the power, performance, and flexibility of Silverlight and .NET-connected software.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

Honostly I am going for the microsoft in this race. They have hit the market and are proceding really fast I haven't been able to pull out any data and statistical research lately but situation before one month was something like 10% for the silverlight and 70% for the flash. If you check how long is flash online and how lng people are developing in it it means that silverlight is just hitting grounds against it and might even overtake it if Microsoft pulls some good moves in the 2008.OK here are things that are good for the silverlight:Firslty of all you do not have to know and learn new lannguage to programi in it because you can program in any .net compatible language whihc is no t the same with flash where as you have to learn action script and learning new language is taking time and making you less productive. And if you check silverlight applications are more or less similar and there are many companies that are taking on silverlight very fastt many computer based magazines are taking silverlight instead any other platform. So I assume silverlight is working good and procedeing as planned. Furthermore the other thing is that silverlight is compatible with all application adn with all major browsers and with all platforms and operating systems making its reach very wide and contrary to the classical microsoft technologies this one is taking its part and might stand really high. So go on. I put my faith into Microsoft's Silverlight.

Flex - Adobe.Silverlight - Microsoft
JavaFX - Sun

Let me know your opinion on "Who is going to win the race?"

I've only used Silverlight and Flex, but I honestly think Silverlight will "win the race". Flex applications take WAY too much time to load.

Has anyone started working on any of these new technologies? I've got flex beta 3 its free if you did not know. There is a beginner tutorial I done today it was fairly easy to follow, it only took 15-20mins. Its pretty basic you search for pictures off flicker but the results seem to be limited I don't know why.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

tutorial link here: https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

you can get flex builder 3 here (331MB) https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html
theres also a windows version but I lost the original link so you may have to fill in some details to get to the download.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

OK let's see I checked your applcation it might look better. However one way or the other I will try this your site builder that is adobe site builder as soon as I have time and plan using it for some new web site of mine. :P :P :P:D :D Best Regards