xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

New Security Hole Discovered In Excel

Well I have to same I am bit surprise on this security flaw especially what it can do; in which all a user has to do is open a malicious Excel document and it allows the hackers to execute remote code on to your system. As far as how wide spread this vulnerability is, it hits every excel software from Excel 2000 to Excel 2003 SP2, and it also includes the Mac Version of Excel 2004 as well. OF course with the disappointment of Office 2007 by some people will still be running the 2003 versions on their computers. Right now the attacks are minimal and the question for t patch it or not is still in limbo as Microsoft tries to figure this one out.

Right now the only way for this to happen is through attachments and through websites, which is being downplayed because of how minimal this attack is going on, and as a workaround for at least Excel 2003, Microsoft recommends running attachments through the Microsoft Office Isolated Conversion Environment (MOICE). However, the older versions have no workaround for this problem. For now though its a waiting game to see if something comes out of this, and that of course anger's some people because of the waiting game, and I have to agree with them why wait to see this hole create more problems especially for those who still use the older versions of the excel software.

So book mark the microsoft security advisor and check it out every few days to see if a patch is available for it.

SOURCES

Yahoo

Microsoft