xisto Community
Carson

Php Scripts On The Computer?

I was wondering if this is possible or not, running php scripts from your computer. So, no internet connection is required. I think I saw a topic about running an Invision Power Board from your computer, but I cannot seem to find it again.I found this really nice php script that I want to create into a website. I have been slowly working at it, but I have to find what files I want to edit, then edit them in Dreamweaver, then upload them to the server again. This takes so long, and as its not finished, it will have no visitors, making it pointless to have it running on the internet, while I can create it from my computer, then upload it having it look and run the way I want. So, is this possible to do? It would be a great help if it is, and if so, there was a tutorial on how to set it up.

I would refer you to XAMPP, a one-click installer of an Apache Server, MySql and Php.
With this application software installed on your computer, you have everything you need to test your scripts locally.

XAMPP

What you will want to do is install your own webserver with php and mysql on it. I would recommend XAMPP just like jihaslip does since it is very very very simple to use. Also, i would recommend you check out the tutorials on it and on hwo to create a virtualhost so that you are able to test more than one site at a time in a very simple manner (plus i wrote the virtualhost tutorial lol).If you need help, let me know.

Definitly use xampp. I use it and it works great. It comes with a simple control panel where you can start the services you want and everything. It's very easy to use and setup. Just google it and it should come right up.

Thanks everyone for your replies. When I downloaded XAMPP I did I bit lost about installing PHP scripts, but I got it eventually. And I have even got that script I had wanted to use up and running on my computer. I did get the database uploaded, though doing that seemed slower than it does on the internet. I get an error saying I exceeded the 300 second limit or something. Does anyone know how I can extend that?

Start the Apache Server.Open your Web Browser, type 'localhost' into your address bar, select phpinfo() from the Xampp main menu.Php_info() will display a bunch of stuff. Find the Apache Handler information and then the path to the configuration file, php.ini which looks something like C:\xampp\apache\bin\php.ini. Open that file in a good text editor. About line 240 there will be a Max Execution time. Mod it to something other than the default time limit.Shut down and re-start Apache to affect the change.and, yes... your server will be slower than an optimized on-line server. Something about their quad-core and a whole bunch of RAM would make a difference... :)

how to work xamppPhp Scripts On The Computer?How exactly does xampp work, I've been trying to figure it out but it seems so confusing. How do I access all the files and everything that I need?