xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
KansukeKojima

Does Your Ps2 Not Read A Disc?

I've had this happen to me.... I have an old/half-destroyed ps2 game, and it will start, but it will freeze and stuff.... so heres how to fix it.Step 1: Fire up the machine with no disc.Step 2: Go to options (triangle I believe)Step 3: Use triangle to open up the playstation driver menu... I think....Step 4: Where it says disc speed change it to fast....Step 5: Put in disc and play it...It tends to work a little better, not much... but a little bit.Also, if my instructions are wrong... just search around in the options... I don't have a ps2 at school so I did this from my memory....

my ps2 doesn't play some discs but thats probably cos I need to start loooking after my stuff as it get scratched... but anyway I havn't played my ps2 really since I got my 360 but i'll try that if ever it's stops working.. is this the same for all ps2? I have the 1st or second model so...

As far as slim line, I don't have a clue, but I imagine its the same... I'm pretty sure that you can change the disc speed regardless of version.... and probably regardless of console... but I never have checked that out.....

Interesting as this might work, but when it comes down to it proper maintenance of the discs and making sure your PS2 or any console is to keep it clean. Use a can of air and blow through it a couple of times, and as for cleaning those discs of scratches run it through a disc clean or use some of the compound (can't think of the name) to rub on to the CD to fill in some of those scratches and stuff.

Thanks for the advice as I have a few games with similar problems. Although, I've found one of the best ways is to clean the lens. Before I did this, barely any of my discs would play.Firstly, undo all the screws from the bottom of the casing and very gently, lift the case off from the back first. There's a terminal glued onto the back of the case and if you pull it too hard, it will break. It is fixable but takes a lot of patience. You will see the disk drive - remove the plastic cover from the top of it. (If you can't find it, it has a warning about laser radiation on it). Now blow onto the lens, careful not to get spit on it. Now for the real magic. Put a small amount of lens cleaner onto a cotton bud. (You can buy the lens cleaner from your local opticians - it's the same stuff they use to clean glasses.) Rub the cotton bud gently over the lens and wait a minute or two for it to dry. That's it! You might want to blow some of the dust away whilst the PS2 is open. I find a lot by the fan area. All you have to do is reattach the casing and more disks should now play.If you repeat this process every few months or so, you should have few problems.Please Note: Doing this devalidates the warranty.

Thanks for this dude, my playstation hasn't been reading disks very well recently and hopefully this will help it. It takes ages to load games currently, it's frustrating.I hope I haven't spoke too soon.

speeding it up is a shorthand solution. it will work but will destroy the lens more easily. the first thing you should do is clean the lens.the fat version i don't know how to do that. even if the cd is covered it is more prone to dust than the slim one. i have both and have seen it several times before.the last resort is to buy a hard drive for your ps2. its less cheap than buying another ps2 and you can use your "not reading disk ps2" <_< and also don't mess with the lens if your no expert. one wrong move and bye bye lens. happened to me once

Don't know if this sounds insane but once Ace Combat 2 for the PSOne didn't work.Guess what I did with the disc,I ran some warm water over it and wiped it and guess what.When I put it to play, it woked like a charm, no lag ^_^P.S. Don't recommend this as I am justing telling a expreience.