xisto Community

What To Look In Antivirus What makes the antivirus Best?

There are many antivirus Available on the internet now a days.Many of them are free. Then how to decide which is the best or which antivirus is most compatible to our own needs?For me, while choosing an antivitus, I always look for the Boot scanning ability of anti virus.Residential protectionPassword protectionspeed of detection of virusremoval capacitysize and memory taken by anti virusbasic to advance features of antivirusease of operating antivirusand many more things like, how often the updates are available on the internet, and are the free or not etc.Is any body having more details about this or about latest softwares etc. it will be nice to share it with us.

Free Av.... it works.... its free.... and its the first one I downloaded....

There are so many things to look in antiviruses depending on you needs and of your situation whether you are in the lan (local area network) or some wireless network and so on. I would suggest using Avast it is really greatt it has been localized to many languages and it works really fine. I have been using it for three years now and I have never had any complain about it when other people computers started infecting mine worked excellent. However with all good things three is price to pay and it is of your resources you have to give avast some stady portion of memory and it will keep it up. However it pays of and it doesn;t take as much as some other antiviruses like AVG or Norton Panda and so on.I have took liberty of writing to you what avast has and how far it is developed:Boot scanning ability of anti virus. - Avast is able to scan your computer in the boot process, and in fact after you install it it will require it from you just to increase safty because sometimes when people are switching and installing antivirus some wroms are able to integrate in them in such way that virus will either stop antivirus software from working or it will in fact incorporate and merge itself with antivirus and then prevent antivrus from fulfiling its obligation though it might allow some protocols or even simulate them insens that final user will not note any difference.Residential protection -- It has active and regulary updated residential protection, and it is on really high level. It will follow your temporary folders your recieving files communications that are openning to your computer. I once for instance so report from avast where someone tried to hack into my computer over bloothoot.Password protection -- Avast has password protection though you haven't specified which kind of password protection you mean because you might want separate account and settings for each different user of the same computer unfortuantely avast doens;t provide this howeveer I think that this is not so much needed option on the other hand it may be password protected so that only one user or in this case you may change advanced settings allow new deeds and so on.speed of detection of virus - Most of the viruses are detected as soon as they try to breach in your system or in the case when you are downloading some files when infacted code starts arriving on your computer. Or when they are alreayd settled on the hard drive when they try to start some process. Then you recieve option to cuarantee them delete them delete them permanently and try to fix the file.removal capacity -- I really don't understand what did you mean by this.size and memory taken by anti virus -- appworiximatly all service when they are turned on and this is some 6 or seven providers are taking up to 35 kB of the memory space.basic to advance features of antivirus -- well there is pro version of avast however I haven't tried it and this one is just enough for the home users also I would like to note one important thing avast is not free for any commercial use, it is only free for home usage.ease of operating antivirus -- Avast is very user firendly and easy to operate any new user will master it in matter of seconds. Everything is easily explained and there are sections where you may go to advance settings but this si for advanced users you can calibrate it without enetering any advanced menus and it will work excelent.P.S. Avast is great antivirus program however not many peolpe use it and this is the main reasons why therre are not so may security breaches noted in the computers protected by avast software, it is just that script kiddies and other hackers don't have time to write exploits for some software of such kind. And I would like to mention eventhough it was not in your neede d requirements. Avast database is updated almost daily.

OFF TOPIC

Members make sure to read the topic as the title is not what the best antivirus is, but rather what to look for in selecting an anti-virus. So be more descriptive in your posts ala hitmanblood.

ON TOPIC

Yeah that is a very broad question to answer because of the different main stream AV software that is out there on the market. With my experiences with AV software I look for several things; how much does it take up in resources (CPU Usage), does it have the total package in protection such as spam, ad/spyware, protection from both the internet and from other computers on the network, how fast do you put out updates to current beasties that are roaming around, firewall protection, and in the case of McAfee Security Suite what other tools does it carry that help maintain my computer. Since I have had this computer McAfee hasn't failed me once in keeping me protected, best example is when I reinstalled my computer and I was software hunting I had a whole bunch of Trojans try to get into my computer and McAfee got rid of them.

Of course that doesn't mean you should always rely on Anti-virus software for all your needs though usually you have to get programs that are more specific like spybot to pick up the slack on anything your main protection might have missed. Which means how to pick the right software for your needs well that all depends really because for an anti-virus software to do its job its the user that needs to know the computer and how to make sure to keep it protected. You can get the software for free or pay for it, but if your doing stuff that defeats the purpose of the software you might as well not have it installed and try your luck.

As for recommendations on what to do with check this topic out here. Remember though its opinion base so you may not get the same results as others because their computer needs maybe different from yours.

I use Spybot: Search and Destroy.It's really good, and I've never had any problems with it.This reminded me of a funny thing someone said:'As far as I know, I've never had an undetected virus!'

I use avast! but I'll be honest with you...whenever I download an antivirus it always seems to be worse than norton. I hate norton because it's a pain, and expensive...But it's probably he best anti-virus I've had.Avast always cutts off my internet whenever I have my computer on for more than a day, and I have to reset it...It's a pain and I don't know how to stop it.