xisto Community
Saint_Michael

/tmp Folder In File Manager

I know awhile back there was a question brought up about the /TMP folder taking up space, and if anyone remembers that topic do you remember if TMP was an acronym for temporary, and can you safely delete the contents in that folder? Right now I am cleaning out my hosting account and the files in that folder are the only ones taking up space at the moment.

I checke my tmp folder out and found lots of statistical stuff, like pie charts of request for my page and hits etc. I don't know the answer to this question, but when you get one, please PM if this is something we can delete.

You can delete the files in the /tmp but a small warning leave the configuration files alone, I learned that the hard way but I was told to wait a few days and it would fix itself (update to come on that). It is safe to delete the png files and the log files and your awstats will function correctly or should function correctly. However, if your still unsure about deleting the contents in that folder then don't, but it does free up some space on your account that can be used for your hosting needs.

On a UNIX or Linux system the /tmp folder can be used to store anything, and is usually cleared when the system is rebooted, or when the directory gets full. On a server, you don't reboot too often, and if you let the directory fill up, it will just take up more and more of your hosting account.

As Mich has quite rightly said, it seems to mainly be the statistics applications that are storing data there. There shouldn't really be a problem deleting the contents of that folder (as all applications should expect the contents of the /tmp directory to disappear at any moment) but your statistics might take a long time to load next time you look at them, and you might lose some older statistics.

I still can't find the topic where we got an answer, but I'll keep looking.

Well good news is that I logged into cpanel this afternoon and went to AWSTATS page and BAM!! its there, so don't worry about configuration errors if you do happen to delete the conf files.