xisto Community
nickybetteridge

Stomach Problems

Over the last 3 years i have been heavily drinking alcohol due to working behind a bar in a nightclub. i was drinking vodka, brandy, bacardi and various other spirits. over time i started to get pains in my stomach and started vomiting blood regulary. i went to the doctors various times and they just said stop drinking. so i did. the pains still occured and i kept getting really bad heartburn and was taking gaviscon every night. i had a camera down my throat and they told me i have reflux asophagitis and a hernia in my stomach which is allowing acid to come up. they have put me on 40mg Omeprazole tablets and they seem to be working but i still get pains. they have said that i may need surgery to get my stomach folded. i have looked online for information on this and it seems quiet dangerous. anbody had this surgery and reccomend it?

wow., is it an alcohol side effect?i think you should got a surgeon immediately to solve your pain.cause of this story, I wonder i should stop drinking alcohol also., <_<

First it is good news if the scope didn't show ulcers or other causes of bleeding. And I am glad you followed through to have the test. GERD, gastroesophageal reflux disease, is a condition where the acid of the stomach backs up into the esophagus. The stomach has a mucus layer to resist acid. The esophagus has a lining like the mouth. It isn't made to resist acid, so it gets burned or scalded after exposure. Most of the time people will respond to medicines like the Omeprazole. There are 8-10 more meds also. Also you should do your part by stopping alcohol, smoking and anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen. Eating 4-6 small meals per day instead of 1 or 2 big ones helps. Don't lie down after eating and don't eat within a couple hours before bed.Should all this fail, surgery is a good option. These days the surgery is done through a scope. It is very successful and not a long recovery. Just be sure to use a surgeon who does lots of them. Again, if you smoke, quit. Nicotine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter ( the muscle that closes off the esophagus). Good luck and keep checking in with your Dr.

i haven't known that drinking too much alcohol can go out bad..

... PLEASE tell me you're being sarcastic! drinking so damn much and regularly cannot be good for you period

to the O.P: I'd say go for the operation, i mean if you used to throw up blood regularly there's good chance of serious damage (Hence the need for surgery). Although quick question, how will folding the stomach help? Wouldn't patching up the hernia?

P.S: How is your liver? I'm a little curious on how all that drinking has gone down with your liver...

I would like to know what you be drinking EngrJayze, because excessive amounts of alcohol can kill you, its called binge drinking my friend.As for the person who posted this topic have they check out your liver for damage as well because lots of alcohol can screw that up as well. Also if you haven't yet, quit your job because you have a drinking problem and that enviroment will not help you, also I recommend going to AA as well and I would get a second opionion on that stomach folding operating, but for the hernia you need to get that fixed immediately as well.

I'm not a doctor obviously,but maybe maalox would help to lineand protect your stomach.Obviously certain foods you would have tocut back on. No natural acid foods such as citrus fruits and pasta sauce and such.I've heard with acid stomach problems taking anti-acid tabletsmay make the condition worse because a stomach will naturallyovertime, adjust itself to balance the acids. I had a wierd acid stomach problem a couple of years ago.Also, it felt like I always wanted to burp but I couldn't.Eventually,slowly, it got better. Best of luck.