xisto Community
spyzo101

Trap17 Forums: Is It Time For A Clean Out? ...yes, if I say so...

Poll  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Due to the overwhelming amount of topics and posts etc., I think Xisto should have a trim of all its clutter.And if we go to a further extent reorganising the forums and possibly getting a rid of few.This is only my point of view but what do you think?

Edited by spyzo101 (see edit history)

Err,I'm not sure the topic is about what,

You mean that the data of the forum is so huge then the administrator need clean up some old data? I think no need to coz because the Xisto is a webhosting provider as they can really afford it.

Might mistook u.. :)

Well since you haven't gone into detail as to why the forums should be cleaned up, I will go into detail why that won't or can't happen. First off all these posts are connected to the credit system, and so if you delete all these posts people will lose huge amounts of credits to the point that some could get their hosting terminated after about 20-30 posts get deleted (thats if members have about 10 or less credits). Second reason it won't happen is that Xisto would be losing a huge market on SEO because it takes about an hour or so for a new topic to show up on google. Which means thats trap17s PR is high enough thats it will show up on great keywords, especially FREE WEB HOSTING, and so if you delete all these topics, and posts google PR will go down, and other rankings on other search engines will go down as well.

A couple of years ago their was made mention to archive the data for the previous two yeears and that way to free up some room but that didn't happen at the time, however since its going on 4 years now since Xisto has be running it could be another possibility again. Of course from my observations though more forums are needed because their are enough topics to deem the necessity, such as the tutorials section and of course the computer forum as well, of course there is one forum I think that should get cleaned out is the Make Money forum just because its one spam heaven for people trying to post their affiliate links and junk.

And so if you see this topic again, and read my post it might help you explain why trap needs to do this.

I agree with SM, though i didnt know that the deleting of old posts would affect credits, i assumed credits were stored in a separate DB and not connected to posts as it were. Ingenious!And i totally disagree that T17 needs LESS forums. I think we have the right amount for the time being. I guess as SM said the tutorials section should be categorized a little and the make money forum should definitely be dropped, that might even lower the number of spammers that find T17 as i imagine "make money online" is a fairly big keyword if you plan on spamming up referral links. I see you're a fairly new member and i can understand how complicated and huge T17 might seem.. but its not complicated, it is rather large but simple once you've been here a little while. My advice is just when you make new topics have a good look for the right forum to put it under and put it there and you will get to know the forums etc... There are forums i haven't visited yet and I've been here well over a year.

Thanks for your opinions guys. I didn't realise that if posts are deleted, users hosting credits are also wiped out.I am a new member and I do think there are many posts and forums compared to other message boards I have had experience with. Thank you again for pointing out the consequences that deleting some posts may cause.

At first the forum seems large but after being here for a while myself I have noticed the forum isnt too large. Infact there still needs to be more sub forumns added to break down some of the categories and make finding things much easier.for example all tutorials seem to be in one forum and skimming through it to find what type of tutorials are there is messy. It should really be broken down to what types of tutorials.Also the operating systems category should be broken down into each major OS category so when users post a specific OS query it will be much easier to find. The other one I noticed is javascript and java and what ever else is all grouped to gether this is not that good since it does get bloated with mix post. There is probably more else where but I can understand that this might not be so easy to change. whos going to move all the mix post once the new forums are added? That would be a tedious job and very annoying one.

I've never really thought about the forums being too large, mostly because I just thought that they were good the way they are, since there is lots of good stuff to search in it, and plenty of topics that are good to contribute to. I think that deleting the old forums wouldn't be that good of an idea, because I'm sure that a lot of the people that use / find these forums for the first time are people that are searching in google for different things.I know that even myself when I'm making google searches end up finding these forums ranking pretty high in the searches and when I look, it usually tells me what I wanted to know, so I think it's a good thing not to get rid of older topics.If the forums were running slowly, then maybe I'd be worried about removing some of the old topics (but it would have to be very careful not to delete ones that have anything useful in them (and seeing as I'm sure all or most are of at least some use, that would be hard). But since the forums seem to be running smoothly, I think they are fine just the way they are :)

The forum is a bit crowded but as soon as you become accustomed to the way topics are arranged you won't have any problems. Browsing the forum is quick and I don't think there's anything to worry about, though some minor changes can be done. I read the thing regarding the google ranks and I also agree that even old topics have their role.

Oh I am definatly voting NO if we would loose credits! Though I do admit since we are discouraged from responding to really old posts, it is sometimes hard to keep track of the really old ones, and they get brought back up a lot. It does take some time to get the hang of this board, but believe me, it's definatly worth it. I was really confused at first too, but everybody here is so helpfull, you'll have it figured out in no time.

If you get rid of all the topics, you might as well close down the community. The old topics are what makes this community what it is, take those away and what do you have? A thousand topics talking about game systems, and things of that nature.

I would say that yes, this forum probably needs some clean out and organization. and maybe some re-working; it could do some good, and make things a little more sense making (maybe) :)

I don't think is an over whelming amount of topics and posts. And cleaning them out would make the forums seem less active. I think things are fine they are, thats just my opinion.

Leave the posts. It will all just be re-posted, no point then. With all the threads it allows Xisto to be associated with alot of stuff. Countless times I think i'm searching for something which woulnd't appear on Xisto, I scroll down abit and there you go. Xisto staring at me with a cheeky grin :).

I think it should constantly be cleaned out, at least of spam. They shouldn't delete the good topics that are actually worth something, but they should always be getting rid of the spam and thinking of new ways to organize the posts.

To be quite honest, I think the forum should be left alone.It is one of the few forums I know where you find such a diversity of topics, practically all areas of interest are covered for, not to mention the help in solving problems you can find here. (As I certainly have).Furthermore, there is also the matter of the hosting credits: people sometimes go through a lot of trouble getting their credit level and then maintaining it, and, as St. Michael mentioned, wiping all the posts away would indeed affect a number of people's credits.No, best to leave the forum as it is.