xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Can't Start Up My Computer

I can't start up my computer. When I switch it on, it just goes to a blank screen, or sometimes, it will go to the Blue Screen of Death, and the message on it changes every time, so I don't even know how to solve it. I've gotten the Page Fault In Non Paged Area error a couple of times. I tried to boot my computer from my Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD, but after running it and repairing Windows XP, the problem isn't solved. I've also tried to start my computer from safe mode but it still shows the BSOD.I don't even know how it happened. I didn't install any new software or hardware and I was just transferring files to my thumbdrive when this nonsense began to happen.Thanks for any help and suggestion you can offer me!I'm not sure if I posted in the right place, cos' I don't even know if it's a hardware or software problem. Apologies to the mod who has to move this if I posted in the wrong place.

could be a virus, did you notice anything suspicious before this happened?Also, upgrade to WinXP Service pack 2 or windows Vista.Also try resetting your bios options back to factory defaults and flash it to the latest version is needed. In the worst case scenario, re-format the hard drive and install windows XP service pack 2 or windows vista. Could also mean a faulty drive, take it out and put in another one that works and see if this still happens, if it does could be RAM, CPU, mobo etc etc. replace a part with one you know works and if all of them don't work, get a new computer.I am sure Saint_Michael or someone ill give better explanations but I'm running out of time...

Funny opinon by the 2nd floor. If you really do as he said at the end,chang th e computer to a new one,I like to buy that with a so pricely and low....It's surely hardware problem,although you don't post the blue screen code,I just gotta that:My advice: Now open the computer box (I really don't know how to describe some things in english,you don't lough me),get the RAM out of the mainboard then clean the metal finger with an eraser, using a pump to blow the adapter of RAM,get it cleaning from the dust, then re install the RAM.If the familar things happened again,then the problem with the power and the mainboard,or just change a new RAM first.

Well the problems could be both software and hardware so yeah you posted in the right spot.Well we know its a memory problem, so go with guangian's idea and clean it out, and see what happens, and its not really neccesary to upgrade to SP2 or Vista, well you should be at SP2 anyways, because that won't fix the problem. Since it is either a memory problem or the fact you deleted files you shouldn't have, and which brings to this option when you boot up your computer go to the boot menu and run the diagnostics mode, and do the full scan. Make sure you have a pen and paper near by and that way you can write down notes on specific errors so that way you can do a search on them and see how they could be fixed.However, if its bads as you say a re-installation of the OS would be needed so it can clean up all the errors you had, and when you do re-install the computer make sure to update it to SP2, ands thats of course if it isn't a hardware problem. Also not to many viruses created today, that I know of, don't go for the BSOD because why destroy a computer when you can steal the info off of it, plus it would rather be practical to crash the computer completely then give errors that could be fix.

I suggest that you should first remove RAM chips, start machine without RAM. Check the BIOS beeps that time.Then again place RAM (first check if it is compatible with machine. Then Check proper BIOS settings along with CPU speed.Also check for Power cables going to your storage devises. Start your machine.See if it helps in getting started.I also suggest to go for trojan and virus remover softwares if there are software malfunction. And take care of system restore as no antivirus checks in system restore for viruses at all. so disable that feature first, by booting from safe mode . And then install antivirus from a clean virus free cd. Preferable boot scan antivirus

Thanks for all your replies! I'll analyse them (I'm really bad with computers) and try out some of your recommendations. To csp4.0: No, nothing suspicious happened. In fact, I rarely get the BSOD with that computer. I haven't even touched it for weeks and that day, I just decided I'd transfer some files. I don't think it's a virus either because I have spyware doctor which does a pretty good job keeping those spyware and trojans at bay and I rarely surf the net with that computer or install stuff to be able to get viruses. That's why I'm really puzzled.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Laptop in Hybernation

Can't Start Up My Computer

I was using my laptop yesterday prior to going to work & it went into hibernate & shut down. Now it won't start at all, nothing on the screen just black, no sound.

Only thing that happens is a yellow light on front blinks for a few seconds then still nothing. I'd been connected to the mains not working on battery.

Can someone please help as I need the files on that computer.

-reply by Denise