xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
progenx

Linux On Ps3

I'm still new to this as well. In this tutorial I'll teach you how to add Linux Ubuntu to your PS3.

You can still use default PS3 operating system as well Linux, So don't worry about that it is very easy to switch back and forth.

You will need to download Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-powerpc+ps3.iso

You will need-
-USB Keyboard
-USB Mouse
-DVD Burner/1 DVD disc

Download the file its around 600mb, Once downloaded you need to burn I used poweriso to burn mine.

Now splitting your PS3 hdd.

You can backup your PS3 files by the process below if not interested and don't care about saving music, documents, videos skip below.

-To do a back up, you should go to PS3 > Settings > Systems Settings > Back Up. Now, you will need something big, like a external HDD or i Pod.

Now to partition the HDD.

To do a partition, you should go to PS3 > Settings > Systems Settings > Format Utility. Select format HDD and do the partition. You can select Give 10GB to Other Os or Give 10GB to PS3 OS.

Install Ubuntu from Live CD:

When you finish, you need to insert the Live CD. Now go to PS3 > System Settings > Install Other Os. It will search the K boot. When you installed it, go to PS3 > System Settings > Default System and select Other Os.

Now, you will see some command lines in the k boot, be sure to have the CD inside. It will being loading stuffs, but if its not, just press [ENTER].

The desktop will be loaded. Now, just select in the desktop and icon that say Install. You will see a Wizard installation guide.

For Gusty Gibbon:

1) Do the same instructions for feisty fawn, until you see the partition part. Just click automatic and there you go.

2) After a while you might get the error message: Unable to install the selected kernel. Just keep pressing continue and select "Install the base system".

It will rewrite the files, but eventually things should work out. When you get to the Kernel to install screen, select = linux-image-2.6.22-14-cell

Due to your screen being low resolution on some screens of install you may need to just press enter on your keyboard, For some you may not even be able to see the bottom of the screen press tab will take you down to the next option so just kinda guess when you have the right button selected and press enter.

I have installed, A messenger application call Pidgin. Just like AIM and other messengers.

Applications> Add Remove> Search "pidgin" (Without quotes)> And install.

Install Flash Player

Go to System > Add/Remove Program. Now in the search, type Gnash and install it (note: Close Firefox to install Gnash correctly). Then open the terminal and type in.

sudo apt-get install mozilla-plugin-gnash

I am not sure on changing screen resolution I found some ideas but could get none to work I will be looking for that.